Is Sharing Now All About Money?

Smitty

Visit site
How much would you get to do with it? Would it be worth paying an amount per week/month if you could compete etc, if no other financial outlay or the bits you would rather not have (early mornings/cleaning out). Say you got it up a level or two and the ride gets taken away or sold, you could equate this to your own just going wrong, but without the vets bills. You have still had the use of a decent horse.

There was a lady advertising on Preloved a couple of months ago looking for rides (dressage). She had a good pic of her riding and listed the people she had trained with. I am crap at links or would forward.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I can afford my horse without a sharer but why should someone get all the joy of my very safe, fun horse without mucking in with the jobs and paying towards the bills? My horse isn't teaching the sharer anything and the sharer isn't teaching the horse anything - they are both enjoying each other and that's fine with me. What the horse has done, however, is allow my sharer to get over the damage done by her own horse who left her with several broken bones.

Unless someone was regularly and successfully competing at a higher level than my horse was currently capable of there would be a payment required.

PM what are your credentials? I know a local, semi pro yard who are looking for a rider.

Last edited:
Visit site
I also see so many ads round here looking for sharers which should read "want someone to train my horse and pay me to do it"!
I see a lot of this, too. Including looking for someone to pay £25+ per week to school and bring on a very green young cob and do all the jobs... Very cheeky.
In the past I paid quite a lot per month to share a horse for 2 fixed days per week, I'd do the jobs on my days. My circumstances changed and I could no longer afford this, so started riding for free for somebody else, in exchange for looking after all of their horses. We both got a decent deal from this IMO, she got all her horses well looked after and schooled, I got to ride without the expense of paying for my own.

Kati*89

Visit site
I saw an advert recently - someone just letting you spend time with their horses and doing some jobs, and you could pay them to do that it was about £20 a week too!

I do pay for my share/part loan but I've treated him as my own for 3 years, been able to compete etc and I know I couldn't have done that even if I had my own so it works out ok for me at the moment- gives me lots of freedom! However the owner has him as a companion anyway but actually he's turned in to a super little chap so she has ended up with a valuable horse and been paid! I love him to pieces though!

crazycorkey

Visit site
Interesting thread.
I recently put an ad on preloved looking for a someone to hack my straight forward well schooled 16.1 cob so I could accompany them on my more quirky horse.
I advertised him at £15 per week with no chores to be done. However I only put a price on to weed out the chancers etc and as soon as someone experienced and suitable turned up I promptly told them he was actually a free ride all along.
It worked for me and I now have a lovely lady enjoying my horse and I'm winning as both my boys are getting out together.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Well yes I'd say so - although I think it has to be the judgement of the owner of the horse as to whether you are good enough or not.

It is fair when it is a mutually beneficial arrangement. Most people would happily pay an instructor to school or train their horse, if they were short on time, or lacked experience or confidence. If instead of paying, you knew someone experienced willing to do it for free, then you'd benefit from that arrangement - as would they.

Sharing is two way - it's an exchange of time, experience (horse and rider), and money. It has to be fair on both sides. That doesn't always mean money needs to exchange hands for it to be fair.

Nothing wrong with that scenario but I wouldn't call it a share. With a paying sharer I'd not dream of riding on one of their days or even turning up to the yard to faff about with the horse, it would be an intrusion on their time with the horse. With the scenario you propose above, I'd have no problem saying sorry I don't need you to ride Saturday after all, it's going to be sunny so I want to hack out and bath him, and feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever.

Ponymad21

Visit site
I'm looking for a share, so I asked about a horse said she hadn't been ridden in a while, was asking £20 a week, turns out "a while" was 3 years and when she was ridden she bucked, bolted and reared!
I would pay a fair amount for a horse that was safe and that I could enjoy but one who needs a lot of schooling and work? No, I would basically be paying to train a horse!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I dont know how anyone finds a sharer! I have a cob, admittedly young and green but has always been a bombproof safe weight carrier. I was an instructor for a lot of years so have no issue fine tuning someone who needs it, but actually you can be a total non rider and he will be fine. If you can ride hes forward and light in the hand and just lovely. My YO and her groom love him and have asked to buy him as hes such a lovely boy!

I've had a few useless teenagers who cant be bothered and the last time I replied to a wanted ad, she turned up and hadnt ever had a lesson, just sat on a friends horse when she hacked her other one out. It would probably have been ok with my input, but actually I just cant be bothered with the hassle and worry of a novice person with no experience hacking him out unsupervised!

Hes now on full livery and the yard rides him a couple of times a week to keep him ticking over. Its sad really as hes lovely and I'm not precious about him! I've never asked for a penny, just if your riding then bring him in, skip him out and give him his hay. I'd love someone who wanted to hunt him and compete him and because I'm stupid I'd probably pay for them to do that, so long as they commited to riding him a few times a week to keep him ticking over. He also has a well fitting saddle, his teeth and backed checked regularly and generally no expense spared on his welfare.

Yet all I see is people with sharp/rude horses being paid x amount of money a week for a not very good time! There was a lady on my old yard who paid £30 a week to share another horse, he wouldnt hack out alone and didnt like schooling. Last time I spoke to her she hadnt ridden him in months, and still she carries on. Its mental!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I dont know how anyone finds a sharer! I have a cob, admittedly young and green but has always been a bombproof safe weight carrier. I was an instructor for a lot of years so have no issue fine tuning someone who needs it, but actually you can be a total non rider and he will be fine. If you can ride hes forward and light in the hand and just lovely. My YO and her groom love him and have asked to buy him as hes such a lovely boy!

I've had a few useless teenagers who cant be bothered and the last time I replied to a wanted ad, she turned up and hadnt ever had a lesson, just sat on a friends horse when she hacked her other one out. It would probably have been ok with my input, but actually I just cant be bothered with the hassle and worry of a novice person with no experience hacking him out unsupervised!

Hes now on full livery and the yard rides him a couple of times a week to keep him ticking over. Its sad really as hes lovely and I'm not precious about him! I've never asked for a penny, just if your riding then bring him in, skip him out and give him his hay. I'd love someone who wanted to hunt him and compete him and because I'm stupid I'd probably pay for them to do that, so long as they commited to riding him a few times a week to keep him ticking over. He also has a well fitting saddle, his teeth and backed checked regularly and generally no expense spared on his welfare.

Yet all I see is people with sharp/rude horses being paid x amount of money a week for a not very good time! There was a lady on my old yard who paid £30 a week to share another horse, he wouldnt hack out alone and didnt like schooling. Last time I spoke to her she hadnt ridden him in months, and still she carries on. Its mental!

There must be someone who would share your horse he sound like what every body wants .

X

xspiralx

Nothing wrong with that scenario but I wouldn't call it a share. With a paying sharer I'd not dream of riding on one of their days or even turning up to the yard to faff about with the horse, it would be an intrusion on their time with the horse. With the scenario you propose above, I'd have no problem saying sorry I don't need you to ride Saturday after all, it's going to be sunny so I want to hack out and bath him, and feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever.

Well it depends on the arrangement. If it's pretty casual then of course that's fine - but if you have an share agreement with someone that they would ride certain days then it would be rude and disrespectful to change that without notice just because they aren't paying.

A share doesn't mean money changing hands as I've said. Riding a horse for free = not necessarily a share. But if it is agreed as a share without a financial contribution (because the sharee is adding value with their time and experience to bring the horse on) then they should be treated with as much consideration and respect as someone who is paying.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Well it depends on the arrangement. If it's pretty casual then of course that's fine - but if you have an share agreement with someone that they would ride certain days then it would be rude and disrespectful to change that without notice just because they aren't paying.

A share doesn't mean money changing hands as I've said. Riding a horse for free = not necessarily a share. But if it is agreed as a share without a financial contribution (because the sharee is adding value with their time and experience to bring the horse on) then they should be treated with as much consideration and respect as someone who is paying.

But that's what I'm saying, in my other posts, nobody would get that level of commitment from me without putting their hand in their pocket. Why should I? Give them a horse to ride for free and miss out myself? For not even a nominal £20 a week? No thanks. Whatever the horse was like, however much they may be improving it, if someone wants to share my horse they are taking something from me (time with the horse) and they're going to have to pay for it. If they're not paying then it's not a share and they can ride when the horse is available, which will be my decision. You think it's rude of me that I wouldn't let someone ride for free when I wanted use of the horse myself? I think you're living on another planet. I don't pay several thousand pounds a year for other people to ride for free.

X

xspiralx

But that's what I'm saying, in my other posts, nobody would get that level of commitment from me without putting their hand in their pocket. Why should I? Give them a horse to ride for free and miss out myself? For not even a nominal £20 a week? No thanks. Whatever the horse was like, however much they may be improving it, if someone wants to share my horse they are taking something from me (time with the horse) and they're going to have to pay for it. If they're not paying then it's not a share and they can ride when the horse is available, which will be my decision. You think it's rude of me that I wouldn't let someone ride for free when I wanted use of the horse myself? I think you're living on another planet. I don't pay several thousand pounds a year for other people to ride for free.

YOU don't have to! Nobody is saying that you should share your horse for free if you don't want to, that's completely up to you.

But in the scenario where a person has made an agreement with someone else for a share where money does not exchange hands, then yes, it would be rude and disrespectful to that person to chop and change around on them at a whim - unless it was agreed up front that it was a casual arrangement where days would not be set. That's not living in another planet, that's just common decency.

You see it as taking something from you - maybe in your case that would be true because you have plenty of experience and plenty of time and the only reason you would share is for the money.

That's not necessarily true for somebody else. They might lack time, so someone else exercising the horse and helping with stable jobs would be a huge help. They might lack experience or confidence, and might not have the money to pay an instructor to school the horse - so someone else schooling the horse and giving it confidence or experience would be a huge help. In both those scenarios the sharer is not taking anything from the owner, they are adding. It would cost the owner a lot more to pay for full livery, or to pay for a professional to school the horse - so the sharer doing it for free is saving the owner money.

I don't know why you can't understand that other people have different needs and priorities from yourself?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I think I've made it clear plenty of times in this thread that I do understand others have different needs and priorities to myself. I still think though that anyone expecting to find the commitment of a share for free is deluded, generally a bit mad and a chancer.

If they do find that free share horse then good for them, they've got what they wanted and presumably the horses owner is happy with the arrangement too. But to *expect* to find it, and be constantly surprised when they *can't* find a free share horse, that's the bit that that makes me think people live on another planet. I actually don't know and have never met, in all my horsey years, another horse owner who would offer the commitment of a share horse without asking for at least a nominal weekly payment. I've met plenty who, like me, would maybe allow someone to ride for free or accept free schooling for their horse, but who would only want that when it suited them and not feel commitment to provide the rider with the horse.

Anyone who would be happy to pay for schooling or full livery for their horse generally does just that and doesn't look for someone to provide it for free. People looking for paying sharers is something entirely different, even if they do also want their horse schooled/cared for etc too. They might never find a sharer for their crazy horse or their crazy demands, but I've yet to see one of these people accept the offer of free schooling when they've been looking for a paying sharer.

X

xspiralx

I think I've made it clear plenty of times in this thread that I do understand others have different needs and priorities to myself. I still think though that anyone expecting to find the commitment of a share for free is deluded, generally a bit mad and a chancer.

If they do find that free share horse then good for them, they've got what they wanted and presumably the horses owner is happy with the arrangement too. But to *expect* to find it, and be constantly surprised when they *can't* find a free share horse, that's the bit that that makes me think people live on another planet. I actually don't know and have never met, in all my horsey years, another horse owner who would offer the commitment of a share horse without asking for at least a nominal weekly payment. I've met plenty who, like me, would maybe allow someone to ride for free or accept free schooling for their horse, but who would only want that when it suited them and not feel commitment to provide the rider with the horse.

Your first comment that I've bolded is incredibly rude. Just because a person has a different perspective from you does not make them deluded and mad.

With regards to your second comment that I've bolded, I've met plenty, myself included. Years ago I shared my horse for free. She was a nice horse, a schoolmaster (the chestnut in my signature). The person I shared with was actually less experienced than me, but I lacked time. The sharer did regular days and looked after the horse on those days and got the use of the horse to enjoy hacking and jumping. It helped me out with time so I didn't consider charging anything.

On the flip side, over the years I've ridden plenty of people's horses for free - even as far as someone sending a couple of horses to me for a period of a few months - like a loan, except that they paid all the bills.

My own horse (save from the fact he's currently a field ornament) I paid to have on part livery, and I wouldn't share him - he's very difficult and nobody good enough to ride him would have been willing to pay to do anything with him. Plus I prefer to keep control of his schedule, so I'd rather pay more.

Each to their own, but you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about this issue. Just because something would not suit you, does not mean that it is wrong when it could be the perfect solution for someone else - and in my experience there are plenty of people out there who can see that too.

EmmaB

Visit site
I see so many ads on facebook for people looking for a sharer for their young horse that broncs and they want £30 a week for it. They never get any replies!

I wanted a sharer for my pony when he was 4 and green (but safe) so I only asked for £10 a week and half towards shoes, no chores and can ride as much as they want. I got a teenager whos been loaning him for 2 years now, its really helped me out as I'm too big for him really and he has come on so much. But its also benefited her as she has gained confidence hacking out and gave her the chance to go to shows and go cross country which she couldn't do when she was at a riding school.

So it goes both ways. If you want to benefit from the sharer bringing on your horse then you can't expect them to pay much. If you have a schoolmaster that the sharer will benefit more from you can charge more! Plus there are all sorts of inbetween scenarios!

Tapir

Visit site
I think I've made it clear plenty of times in this thread that I do understand others have different needs and priorities to myself. I still think though that anyone expecting to find the commitment of a share for free is deluded, generally a bit mad and a chancer. .

I've had several shares over the years and never paid a penny for any of them, pretty sure I'm not mad!

In exchange for riding, I do the jobs and the owner gets "time off". If they wanted the yard to provide this service, exercise and look after their horse, they'd be looking at paying full livery for the day. So I am saving them both time and money, why should I pay them for that?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It depends. I had a good established allrounder schooled to medium level dressage and jumping discovery and I charged £30 a week to a sharer 3 days a week. A BSHAI shared her for a year and was quite happy to pay for her because she had had an accident and lost her confidence. My mare helped her to get it back and then she bought her own new horse. However, if I was looking for a sharer to help bring on a young horse, I would not expect to be paid for it. But I have shared 3 horses over the years and found that capable sharers that could improve a horse were like hens' teeth.

claracanter

Visit site
Looking for another horse to play with and came across a couple of adds for horses local to me.
First was 17hh 5yo warmblood. Asking £20 a week for two days.
Second was 15.3 6yo, very green with issues. Owner doesn't have the time for horse. Asking £25 per week.
Now to my way of thinking these horses need a competent rider able to bring the horse on both under saddle and on the ground.
Do people really pay to school horses for other people? I would have happily taken on either horse and taught the owner if necessary but I certainly wouldn't pay to do it.
Strange world we now live in.

I totally agree with you. Years ago people would have just been grateful for the help.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I think if you want to ride/ compete a horse for free you need to market yourself. If your reasonably competent and not nervous there is always someone who wants help. They probably aren't advertising for it thought. Word of mouth works well, Facebook even easier. If your not on fb drop a text to all horsey friends asking them to keep an eye out for you, bet someone knows someone.

SO1

Visit site
A lot of people get sharers because they need the money so that is why they charge.

When I was sharing 8 years ago I paid £30 a week for three days and I did all mucking out on my days too.

If you only want to ride on week days and can be flexible about days and are very skilled then you are not your average sharer and you probably will be able to get a free share. I would suggest you advertise in tack shops and also ask your contacts from when you were competing or riding horses for others if they know of anyone who is looking for some to ride. Word of mouth may lead to someone who perhaps would like a bit of help but does not need the money from a sharer and had not advertised.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
If I was wanting my horse schooled I would pay someone to do it, not pay an average joe who is probably no better a rider than I am.

I've found with loans it tends to be people lacking experience who need supervision due to not really knowing how to do things. If I'm teaching people the ropes, I'm certainly not going to do it for free, especially since in the short term it will actually make my life more difficult. I've had a few sharers like this and only one didn't set my horse back in it's schooling. The one who was a gem soon bought her own once she got her confidence up.

Most experienced riders seem to only want full loans :(

I've got a 14h3 mare, out competing prelim dressage and 80cm SJ, hacks like a dream, based at home with no jobs, directly on a bridle path for off road hacking, floodlit and good quality arena, transport included - no cost. I can't find anyone for love nor money... All I want is a bit of company on a hack one day a week and the rest of the time the horse is theirs to do what they want with, even compete.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I had a sharer for my previous horse. we each rode three days a week and he had one day off. We did all the chores on our riding days and I did the chores on his day off. I also let her compete him and take him to jumping and XC clinics. We paid half of everything each. It worked well as it was a true share and she treated him as if he was her own on her days and I didn't interfere as we were both on the same page regarding looking after him and what he did ridden/competition/schooling wise.

If she had merely been exercising him for me on days when it suited me I wouldn't have charged her at all.

I feel there's definitely a difference between a proper 'share' and just letting someone ride so the horse gets the work it needs. A proper share gives the sharer the benefits of having a horse to ride and compete and look after without the full time commitment and costs or initial financial outlays.

At least that's how I perceive it.