Is she Chocolate?

BMWKIPP

Visit site
This is Pipsqueak my 16 week old Poodle x Terrier pup, is she Chocolate, Liver or just Brown? Not fused as she's so cute, but just interested.

IMG-20190610-163620.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have no idea but she is gorgeous!

I used to have 2 'chocolate' Labs, I always called them brown to make a point, as I felt that choc had been brought in as a marketting ploy. That colour in Labs was originally called 'liver' but it seems to have fallen into disuse, which I don't really understand as spaniels are still known as 'liver and white'.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wish choc labs were called 'liver'. Flatties still are, I have no idea why labs had to change. She is very pretty and I bet a bundle of fun OP! Maybe it depends what colour brown poodles are called?:D

I genuinely believe it was a marketing ploy. There still weren't many around when I got my two, about 35 yrs ago

[139672]

Visit site
The correct name for a poodle that colour is brown, although a lot of people call them chocolate. You may find that she fades as most poodles have a fading gene. The blacks can fade to silver, brown to silver or a darker colour they call ‘cafe au lait’, silver fade lighter, apricots can fade lighter, creams can fade to white and red poodles can fade to apricot. Some hold their colour but not many.

Clodagh

Visit site
The correct name for a poodle that colour is brown, although a lot of people call them chocolate. You may find that she fades as most poodles have a fading gene. The blacks can fade to silver, brown to silver or a darker colour they call ‘cafe au lait’, silver fade lighter, apricots can fade lighter, creams can fade to white and red poodles can fade to apricot. Some hold their colour but not many.

That is interesting, we often meet a gorgeous standard poodle here and she has gone from sooty black to sort of blue/grey.

[139672]

Visit site
That is interesting, we often meet a gorgeous standard poodle here and she has gone from sooty black to sort of blue/grey.
It is interesting isn’t it that most poodles fade. I meet a lady with a red Cockapoo. She was so thrilled with her colour and I didn’t like to tell her she may fade. Her dog is a dark apricot colour now. I wonder whether gelding horses affects their colour. Is a stallion likely to have more of a metallic sheen to their coat than a gelding?

Clodagh

Visit site
It is interesting isn’t it that most poodles fade. I meet a lady with a red Cockapoo. She was so thrilled with her colour and I didn’t like to tell her she may fade. Her dog is a dark apricot colour now. I wonder whether gelding horses affects their colour. Is a stallion likely to have more of a metallic sheen to their coat than a gelding?

They tend to have finer coats I think.

[139672]

Visit site
And she has a light coloured nose which may mean she’ll fade. If she fades you may find she’ll be lighter in summer because of the heat & sun, a bit darker in winter. My poodle had a black nose and it changed to quite a light brown not long after my husband had said how much he loved his black nose :). Photo is of my apricot poodle Teddy. He was the colour of the ends of his ears, all over when a puppy at 3 weeks. When I collected him at 9 weeks he was this colour.

Attachments

• DBFE6B56-E54B-4DB6-A377-C7612C87BAAA.jpeg
    DBFE6B56-E54B-4DB6-A377-C7612C87BAAA.jpeg
    854.1 KB · Views: 4

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
And she has a light coloured nose which may mean she’ll fade. If she fades you may find she’ll be lighter in summer because of the heat & sun, a bit darker in winter. My poodle had a black nose and it changed to quite a light brown not long after my husband had said how much he loved his black nose :). Photo is of my apricot poodle Teddy. He was the colour of the ends of his ears, all over when a puppy at 3 weeks. When I collected him at 9 weeks he was this colour.

🥰

satinbaze

Visit site
As yours is a crossbreed she is whatever colour you want. Unlike horses the brown, liver, chocolate are all the same colour it’s just that different breeds like to give it different names.
In flatcoats the liver colour can range from almost orange to a very deep brown that can look black in bad light. They are all still liver.
Why not refer to her colour as something unusual such as “walnut” 😁

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I struggle with this too! I'm a GSP person so the correct term in that breed is liver, but we are getting a Scandinavian hound puppy soon who is the same colour but they are known as brown in hounds. Brown sounds a bit boring to me! I think it's very breed/type specific. I'd call your girl chocolate as it seems to be the poodlely term, plus, as someone has said, she looks good enough to eat (& chocolate tastes better than liver!).

HEM

Visit site
I'd say chocolate too! Looks like she has a little red tinge which to me means she's chocolate over brown! Not sure what would make her liver in my mind though :p either way she is gorgeous!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think it's quite an English/American thing to have lots of different names. There's about fifty squillion terms for colours in German Shepherds but in Germany they are 'grey', 'black' or 'black and brown'. No tan or gold or red or mahogany. I've seen some of the faulty colours here being referred to as 'champagne' and 'apricot' :eek:
Liver also exists but I don't know what the Germans call that as they are not able to be registered/exhibited.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I have no idea but she is completely adorable. I am strongly leaning towards a poodle x of some sort as our next dog, not helped by pictures like this and the fact that this week I almost managed to kidnap one :) Spotted a lovely white dog wandering around the car park outside my office, was fairly sure it lived in the adjacent house but not quite 100%, went out to it hoping it would run back from where it came but it didnt, it came trotting up to me for a cuddle. Picked it up and popped round to the house, gate was wide open and noone answered the door so took it back to my office so it didnt get run over. He was a completely stunning little poodle, soppy as you like and so soft, sat on my lap whilst I carried on working, not a bother on him. After about 10 minutes I saw the chap from the house dash out in a panic so I nipped out and reunited pup with owner. Appparently he had been working in his study and the gate had blown open, when he realised he was horrified and very relieved to find pup in one piece. I however am completely smitten and keep looking at poodle puppy adverts, I do need to find a good breeder though