is she too fat? and summer feeding

How obssessive about tidiness/cleanliness are you in your own home? (stables and tack rooms are an e

• Total voters

B_2_B

Visit site
I know she's on the chubby side but would you say she was too fat?
frown.gif
she's always been on the round side and she's built big. she's on no feed and as much exercise as possible at the minute. she's 26 too.
Picture230.jpg

Picture231.jpg

Picture232.jpg

Picture233.jpg

and poll about summer feeding. ours don't get fed in the summer.

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
I'm afraid she does look fat to me. It's not just her belly, she has a gutter down her hindquaters and a cresty neck.

What is she fed (grass/hay/treats etc) and how much exercise does she get?

She's looking very well for 26 though!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Personaly would have a grazing mask/bucket thing on her. She will still be able to graze all day so wont won't upset her but she won't get to the rich bottom or eat so much. Most horses at are yard are in them as the pasture is very rich. I think it would do her health the world of good. Spesh with the sun and rain we have at the moment the grass is very good.

B_2_B

Visit site
what do you mean by a gutter down her hindquarters?
she's a cob so her neck has always been cresty like that.
she's on grass in the summer but they've just been away for 4 weeks because the grass at Mossburn needed to grow after the weeks of raina nd bad weather so she's just been back 2 weeks.
i'm her main rider, every sunday.
Problem with her exercise is someone to ride her. Volunteers are short and some volunteers don't ride, especially through the week. she gets ridden i think about 3/4 times a week for 1-2 hours

bex1984

Visit site
She looks pretty much the same as my fell cross does at the moment (actually they almost look identical!), and I'm afraid I would definitely class them both as being overweight. Mine gets ridden about 4 days a week, is on very poor grazing and gets a few handfuls of happy hoof. Unfortunately these natives do seem to live on fresh air.

Can't believe she's 26!!! She looks fab for her age...at least you're not having trouble keeping weight on her!!!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I think she does look fat and for the older horse you don't want them to be fat as it will put extra strain on their joints, but she doesn't look 26, looks younger.

She needs to be on restricted grazing so using a muzzle and maybe bring her in during the day for a couple of hours and leave her out at night.

B_2_B

Visit site
FMN, she'd hate that. she hates things on her face, even getting her face brushed, she doesn't like.
it's not my choice either. i can only suggest to YO as she's not mine.
smile.gif

B_2_B

Visit site
yeah she does look younger
grin.gif

i will maybe suggest a grazing muzzle to YO but it's ultimately her choice.
there's nowhere to bring her in during the day, the barns are used for car boot sale things during the summer and she wouldn't like coming in on her own.

Chex

Visit site
She is a bit podgey
blush.gif
but I know how hard it is to keep these cobby beasts slim! Chex has a pretty bare paddock and he's still putting weight on
mad.gif
. I think it gets harder to get weight off as they get older too.

pixiebee

Visit site
i too would say she looks fat, mine isnt far off that currently and unfrortunaely has to be out 24/7 on rich grass so will be wearing a muzzle shortly. not to be cruel but its not healthy! other than that looks very well!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
They take a few days to get used to the muzzles but she will click she can still graze in it just less and not to the roots so much. I don't like the idea of bringing her in as horses shoudln't have stave peroids due to fact there designed trickle feed. Just tell the YO your worrys she will help come to sulotion.

exracemad

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she means the sort of 'crease' down her hindquaters, i think it should be more sort of rounded instead of peaches

Personally i would say she is on the chunkey side lol. But i can see it will be difficult if there isn't any one to ride her everyday.

She is stunning, doesn't look 26 at all!

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she means the sort of 'crease' down her hindquaters, i think it should be more sort of rounded instead of peaches

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is what I mean, there are some photo examples in this link. Have a look here for how to condition score http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/cgi-bin/tve/displaynewsitem.pl?20031205conditionscoring.txt to me she's verging on a score of 5.

I realise she's a cob, so will naturally have a bigger neck and be bigger all over, but she is more cresty than is healthy at the moment, and it's one of the indicators that laminitis is more likely.

The suggestion of a muzzle is a really good one, or strip grazing or reducing her turnout. Ofcourse if she's not yours then you have limited influence, but it's great you're trying to look out for the health of the horse you ride.

fjudge

Visit site
Sorry to say but she is too fat
crazy.gif

Like has allready been pointed out, channel down back. Not saying obese but think it would be wise to carry a little less weight being 26
crazy.gif

Can she not be in a stable sometimes? I find if i put skye in a stable for half a day with 1 or 2 sections of hay she wont stuff her face. Gives her belly a rest!

Also, if the grass is the same as it is in the pic from last year, surely thats why she is fat
confused.gif
Seems like there is loads to me! Sorry but yes, would say she is too fat
frown.gif

LeneHorse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think it gets harder to get weight off as they get older too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly its the same for us riders!

ISHmad

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it gets harder to get weight off as they get older too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly its the same for us riders!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - sigh.

I do think this little mare is fat TBH - but did also wonder if her tummy is that shape because she has had a foal or foals in the past? Because I know some mares never lose that shape. I'm struggling with one of my horses at the moment, he is way too fat and this rain has caused a real growth spurt of grass... So sadly, although he doesn't like it, he is out in the day with a muzzle on and in at night on soaked hay. Far better that than laminitis...

taffy2

Visit site
Fair play she doesnt look 26!! I would say she a bit on the fat side but I would suggest strip grazing! I would suggest it to your YO!! I have a cob and trying to keep his weight down is a tough job but I strip graze him and ride him it seems to be working! I wish losing weight weight was that easy for me!!!!

JessPickle

Visit site
I really dont think age makes a huge difference we have some horse on our yard from ages 19-34! all either get a little chubby or a little low on weight. None have ever worn grazing masks they just have strip grazing if they are too fat, and extra feed if there too skinny and it works a treat

Bumble, aged 34! this pic taken a couple of weeks ago!

ALLPICTURES251.jpg

benji aged 19 (easily gets to fat and has has laminitis and cushings and a skin condition, and fought it! he has been on the brink of being PTS before, but with careful management he has been able to go in a field again which no one thought they would ever see again

DSCF0776.jpg

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Aw lovely pics Jess
smile.gif

I do agree about Blacky though she does look a tad burly but not overly imo and certainly does not look dangerously overweight. As long as she seems happy in herself and is working with the same gust ( age apart that is as we all slow with age) then I would not be worried.
I think her weight needs monitoring though as due to her age as others have said the extra weight could cause more pressure on her joints.
However she does not look in need of a grazing muzzle yet imo. Personally I would only use them myself if a horse/pony was morbidly obese or suffered from laminitis.
She looks fine though so don't worry, and I agree with other people's comments that she does not look her age no way !

Cazx

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
My appaloosa gets a small ammount of feed if he's in at night. Just something like a handful of Alpha A with veg and supplements chopped in, because he's still on the skinny side, and if he doesn't get something when he's put in his stable at night he becomes a pest to catch (he hates being in).

I'd say yes, she is a little bit too fat
wink.gif
If she's out 24/7, perhaps put a grass muzzle on during the day and take it off at night? At her age, carrying extra weight won't do her any favours
wink.gif

Cahill

Visit site
when doing condition scoring,you dont really look at the belly on its own.feel for the pads of fat on the withers,each side of the tail etc.
i would be worried about this ponies weight because it appears fat in the photos
a pony can scoff enough to do damage to itself in a hour or two on rich grass.
have you got a weight tape to use?
i do like your pony,its the same type as mine.

Patches

Visit site
How big do they have to be to be considered in need of a muzzle then or strip/restricted grazing?

Everyone must think I'm really cruel having my slim looking ponies in muzzles. If they weren't Tweenie would blow up on grass gassy tummy (not to mention get fat) and Dinker would have laminitis. Tweenie's remained much healthier and happier since wearing one over summer. She used to come in every evening and deflate over night! I kid you not.
grin.gif

I'd rather air on the side of caution.

That said, the Blacky looks such a cute and cuddly horse, even with her podge. I really like her. Wouldn't want her to get any bigger though, but then I am absolutely paranoid about the thread of laminitis. She almost looks in foal
blush.gif

It's so hard though to get a happy medium when you own a good do-er. They literally gain lbs just looking at grass.

Cahill

Visit site
my 3 are in a fairly bare bit(about 1/8 acre.)
about 40ft of electric fence is moved 1 to 2 feet twice a day.they have a small scoop of dengi a day.
this may seem severe to some but i think they look good.this management will change depending on growing conditions.gooodness knows what they would look like in a `proper` field.
patches is looking very good i must say.
some people get `cob` and `fat` mixed up and think its ok. think of all that extra weight to lug round and the wear and tear on the joints-just like people.

Patches

Visit site
I agree Cahill. Cobs are also notoriously prone to joint related problems because they are naturally so upright through their shoulders and pasterns/hocks. They are sujected to more concussive forces because of their conformation, never mind adding excessive weight in the equation.

I don't like to see fat horses personally. I always think you can kill a horse far quicker by over feeding it, than under feeding it.

Of course, I don't like to see emaciated horses either.
wink.gif

Cahill

Visit site
and another thing....some people say they like to gain weight before ready for the winter or they put a bit on cos the spring grass.well i think the skill is to maintain the ideal weight all year round.
was looking for a nice pic of my pon but she`s got sweatitch rug on in all recent ones.will get one tomorrow.