Is six acres enough for small hacks?

Nicnac

Visit site
Where there's a will there's a way OP

SF - I may have read your comment wrong - it appeared to me that you were scoffing at 6 acres.

cambrica

Visit site
We have 5 acres. Managed to paddock off so we have 2 areas mainly for the small ponies grazing, another paddock (pictured) where the kids spend most of their time riding and the remainder as a large field for the bigger horses to graze. The kids also ride around there happily and set up all sorts of jumps etc around the edge.
We camp out in the summer and moan about the wet in the winter but its our little piece of paradise !!

Smaller riding paddock about a third of the way up.

IMG_1998_zpsf3437573.jpg
[/URL]

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
We ride in our six acres in the summer. Kids prefer that to dodging the traffic. We build little courses and have a games paddock. We have an arena which we use on wet days. It's perfectly feasible to find things to do even if it's not "hacking."

Tnavas

Visit site
We have seen a house with less land but much better access to hacking, all off road. I particularly like the fact that the barn is attached to the house so I can just walk through and check on them. The location isn't as good though. :( I HATE house hunting.

BTW I am off to copyright Tardis land and then invent it before any of you lot get in there first! :D

This sounds more ideal - size of land depends entirely on how prone you are to equine collecting!

6 acres = 4 horses to allow for winter carnage.

prosefullstop

Visit site
We have 19 acres, but I fully expect to "hack" on it, as there are two massive hills, a small stream to cross and a "spare" two-acre field, which I plan to load with home-made jumps. We do live adjacent to a 200-acre wood with bridle trails, but I don't plan on using that every time I ride. I think OP's question is a really good one, actually.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think OP's question is a really good one, actually.
Agree.

As our roads get busier, more of us are looking for ways to enjoy our horses that do not involve dicing with death on the roads. Inventive use of a small acreage has got to be a good thing. (I have 7 acres, and have a canter track set up round the perimeter of the 3 acre hay field.)

mandwhy

Visit site
I think 6 acres is pretty doable for kids, we have 4 acres and don't leave all that often at the moment but obviously doing schooling as we are boring grown ups, a bunch of jumps and cones and stuff would keep kids more entertained!

windand rain

Visit site
If you have the spare cash to do it you can get a really nice easy to use x country course on six acres especially if you fence it in almost acres with a track up the middle you can get two solid fences in each perimeter fence and can put movable ones in the track between as a jumping lane so lots of fun in that too. Or you can double fence your land with a track all way round useful for summer fatties and include things like a water splash a bank up and down easily made with sleepers it only takes imagination and sadly money

Dubsie

Visit site
Plenty of room for kids to muck about - give them the resources (logs cut suitably, spades to dig ditches, bending poles, mugs, buckets, showjump wings, poles, and cans of paint and boards to make their own fillers) and they'll have fun

CBFan

Visit site
I think 6 acres is plenty for a couple of kids / teens / young adults to have some fun on.

You could fence a track around the outside of it which the kids could ride around and it could be grazed by the ponies in the summer months to help keep them trim... The rest could then be mown for hay and played on with jumps etc in the summer! :)

katymay

Visit site
SO1 That is what I am hoping, that we can hire the school and have the kids go round for lessons there. We never go on holidays but it would be nice to have the option! I talked to a livery who didn't tell me much about the hacking so we are going for a second viewing and I will speak to the owner herself. I viewed on one of the days the Bath and West show was on, so not the best timing for talking to horsey neighbours!

ooo exciting, where abouts are you looking?

indiat

Visit site
Wow, this thread moved on a bit since I was last on here! It's good to know that we can do plenty to keep our boy fit and entertained on six acres and I am grateful for all the suggestions. I think a canter track would be a good idea. Cambrica, that pic is very cute! Katymay - we are looking in the Frome area as it is close to the girl's schools.