Is social of livery worth putting up with bitchery vs own land

_GG_

Visit site
I'd rather be on my own and get company through friends that are real friends and be free of any bitchiness TBH.

It's great to be on a yard where everything is hunky dory, but if you're not...you're probably better off on your own as it just saps the life out of you after a while.

kentridingclubber

Visit site
I had all mine on own yard at home - heaven but terribly lonely. No one to hack with etc.

Moved house, now just have the retired ponies at home and horse on full liv 20 mins away.

Love it, but, am very lucky. was on 1 full liv yard for a year - great NO bitching, and the same on this one too. Well - if it does go on i didnt notice at either yard and dont get involved in that sort of thing. (I'm not really an nosey person/tend not to get too 'involved' with peoples business).

Far prefer the social aspect of being on a yard. I expect I will only come off one when we have children as if when they are older and want to ride we would be unlikely to afford full livery for more than one, let alone 1 really.

Obviously there are draw backs though, when you are used to 'you way' others rules can be hard/inconvenient, so the pro's for you would have to outweigh that.

JoannaC

Visit site
Been thinking about this myself as potential to move to Somerset in a couple of years and have own land. I've always been lucky with livery yards so not had any bitchyness but it would be nice to have the flexibility to manage the land so your horses could live out etc. My biggest worry is never being able to go away as would need someone to look after the animals. Oh and of course having people to ride with is very motivating and would worry that I wouldn't bother so much. Tricky one isn't it?!

pippixox

Visit site
i rent land with 2 other ladies, so i'm kind of in the middle. i would love to own land so i have more security then renting (if money was no option, huge country house and 20 achres, menage, stables....- i wish!), but i like sharing with 2 others, i'm good friends with one (didn't even know her when she first joined us, now around each others houses all the time!) and like to have others to share organizing things, like fencing and field care and jobs around the yard. also useful as in pre-planned times when i'm away or emergency's, we can cover each other. on your own land you could only really hire someone i guess. i would not want to go back to a proper livery yard with loads of other people as too busy and does tend to be bitching and more restrictions. i like the peace and quiet.

WelshD

Visit site
Own land or at least rented

If money was no object then own land plus a big moat, razor wire fence and a couple of gun turretts...

JLD

Visit site
i have a pony at home having had my horse on livery for years, He isnt really ridden so dont have that to worry about but love being able to potter with him, arrange my own fencing how I like, keep in/turnout without everyone elses opinions, pop down and see if he is ok if it is a bit windy etc, bring in at 10pm and turnout at 6 in my pj's so he isnt stabled for too long overnight. this forum is great if you get a bit worried about things. I am loving having him home

JulesRules

Visit site
I enjoy being on Livery. Lots of company, people to hack with, horsey chat, people to swap advice with.

If money really was no object I would have my own yard with a groom and amazing facilities and then invite my good friends to keep their horses with me for free:)

Mince Pie

Visit site
I've nearly had both and much prefer livery - as long as it's the right yard. I found being on the private yard really lonely and am enjoying having hacking buddies and chats over endless cups of tea! Plus I'm more motivated to ride :)

Asha

Visit site
I love having mine at home. Get to see them more, than when they where at livery. Love just looking out of the window. Little things, like when i've peeled the veg, I can just nip outside and give them the carrot scrapings. But i do have my daughter to ride with, so never lonely. Although the best bit is being able to have a glass of vino to give a little dutch courage before trying something that would normally need big brave pants !
The last livery yard i was on was amazing though, great people and fantastic facilities, so i can understand why people prefer it.

Each to their own i say

webble

Visit site
I am on a yard just me and the owners horse, she does mornings I do evenings so I rarely see her and I love the privacy. That said there is a 20 horse livery yard a two min hack away whose school and farm ride we use so I can go and be social when I want to

I think it is always good to have an extra set of eyes around if you want a second opinion on something

Goldenstar

Visit site
I prefer at home although acknowledge that I can see it could be lonely and that I see the attraction of the social side and the company and sharing things .

cambrica

Visit site

If money was no object then own land plus a big moat, razor wire fence and a couple of gun turretts...

:D:D:D

The joy of never having anyone frown at me, criticise or bitch behind my back....priceless!
Moments on my own are rare though as I either have the kids with me or my mums there so Im never lonely :) On occasion I can escape to the yard on my own....bliss!

skint1

Visit site
I can see the benefits of both set ups.
Got a horse on a farm yard where it is just my friend and I, that is quite nice but also hard, we have to do everything for ourselves. My horse lives there as she's turned away but my friend always rides alone, I think she prefers it that way but I would find it lonely I think

Also got 2 horses at a DIY livery yard, there's a lot to be said for having haylage and straw on tap, someone to do repairs, people to ride out with and chat with. Our yard is actually quite nice as this type of yard goes, but as with any group of people there can be conflict and there are times when it can be difficult.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've done both and as we're currently looking for a new house, OH was looking for property with land for the horses until he realised that I quite like having them on a livery yard.
My horses have plenty of equine and human friends and I meet people I'd never know any other way. Apart from occasionally wanting to take an axe to them, I really enjoy and gain a lot from sharing the highs and lows of horse life with the rabble at the yard.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

^^this :) have just bought own place with no neighbours, no yard sharers-heaven. Was on own for a few years rented, then shared with one other for 3 years and now back on own. I prefer to hack alone and my own company anyway.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
We have our own land a mile from home, prior to this I'd always been on DIY. Pros and cons of course, the biggest one is that I normally ride alone, okay on Harley but Tinner is only four and can't be expected to go out alone all the time and/or on new scary routes, so I'm often asking the OH to come out with me either on Harley or on bike - he doesn't mind but it isn't his thing really! - or asking friends and acquaintances to ride Harley with us. It does help to own a feed merchants, you can talk horse all day and hopefully find new nice horsey people to ride with! I never had problems with bitchiness at yards in the past, generally a lot of fun, but the stories I hear in our shop would make your hair curl!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
If i could have my own land, I'd be there like a shot, and get a rescue pony to keep Shy company. I've had enough of being shafted by other liveries to last me three lifetimes *sigh*. Still under The Silent Treatment atm, for not agreeing to bring in two other horses plus Shy. Only been at this yard 9 weeks.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I wouldn't go back to a livery yard, for a lottery win. And tbf, we kept ourselves to ourselves on the whole and had very little trouble.
I much prefer being able to arrange our herd to suit them, rather than a YO. We are in a privileged position though, as sis and I share our smallholding, we have horsey neighbours, who we can call on in an emergency, or even occasionally if we want to go away and have friends in the local RC to ride with as well.
I definitely will never have another livery here, far more bother than it's worth.

rascal

Visit site
We have been really unlucky with yards, so much bitching, people borrowing things and not putting them back.
On one yard we were on diy but paying extra for turnout as we both worked, another livery told us the horses were left in until just before we arrived, and our horses were often left with no hay or water all day. I had a days holiday and didn't tell the yard, it was all true!! Needless to say we moved them the next weekend, even though we had just paid a months livery for both of them.

We have rented yards/fields to ourselves for many years now and wouldn't have it any other way.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Own land every time, albeit rented, I love the security having them at home gives me, I am often down the barn late at night if I hear a bang, love the fact i sit in the sunroom watching my four looking in, pleading with me to feed them, there're starving don't you know, going up the field, down the barn in my pj's and wellies, injuries are spotted sooner, if it's cold first thing, then warms up, I'm on hand to rug/unrug as required, I've just realised I'm a slave to my horses

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I have come to the conclusion that a lot of DIY's at yards are blaggers (or indeed shafters), who think their horses will be looked after by other owners. Pay me and I'll consider it. If not, why have you got a horse ?

I will get my own place one day. Until then, I'll stand my newly found ground.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Shysmum I read your other post and I have high hopes that once your fellow liveries see that you are more confident in yourself and will stand your ground things will look up for you. I used to suffer dreadfully with anxiety in social situations and I really do think that people perceive 'you' (used as a generic rather than you specifically) as weak and will walk all over you, when you show them you won't put up with any crap then they tend to respect you more. :)

kizmund

Visit site
I love being on a livery yard, lots of people to talk to and hack with. Some of my closest friends I have met on yards.
So would choose that over renting my own small place BUT would looovvee to have a few stables and a few acres at home, pop out before bed to top up hays; turn out in my pj's on xmas morning, would still want my horsey friends so would have to invite a few of them to move in!