Is spring in the air?

bca13

Visit site
Over the past few days, I feel like there has been a bit of a "spring" in my horse's step. She already started malting a few weeks ago, is anyone else's feeling the same? Is spring finally on its way?!:D

Sprat

Visit site
While I did think so one day last week, the sub zero temperatures at the weekend and sideways snow makes me think otherwise :( Not one to wish life away but I do hope Spring turns up soon, I can't cope with this weather.

Amun

Visit site
I wish! In London, we have a mixture of spring-like days when I really feel like "whoa it's here!" and then boom, snow! Or at least very cold and rainy days. So I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to winter again but still hope that spring is on its way and that it will be here rather sooner than later :D

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have known horses start moulting on Boxing Day! They tend to respond to the length of daylight, rather than the weather or temperature. I noticed yesterday that ours had fluffed up their coats to keep warm but the daffodils are certainly growing nicely. Unfortunately the snowdrops succumbed to the Labradors' gardening efforts last autumn. We are forecast snow for tomorrow.:(

teddypops

Visit site
We have had a couple of days that have felt like spring. Snowdrops are out, daffodils are growing, there are lambs in the fields and the birds are singing, but then it’s back to very cold and miserable and clearly still winter. Ponies have started moulting, but they do that with the longer days.

Annagain

Visit site
As I was riding in the snow yesterday I also spotted the first blooming daffodil of the year. The juxtaposition did make me smile.

I think it's the first time I've ever been riding as snow is falling. We rarely get snow here, when it does it's usually overnight and while I'm not a fair weather rider, I normally draw the line at snow! The plan was to get out before the snow but it came a couple of hours earlier than expected - just as we were leaving the yard. I quite enjoyed it although getting down from 17hh up with very cold feet doesn't half sting. It then turned to rain so all gone now.

Tash88

Visit site
I wish! In London, we have a mixture of spring-like days when I really feel like "whoa it's here!" and then boom, snow! Or at least very cold and rainy days. So I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to winter again but still hope that spring is on its way and that it will be here rather sooner than later :D

I am in London too so have to agree with you, I'm so fed up with winter and it's meant to be snowing again this weekend. We do have some snowdrops at the yard though and I've also seen some daffodils which are promising signs!

bca13

Visit site
The weather has been quite nice where I am! we had a bit of snow a few weeks ago but only for a day, its just been chilly tbh, but quite sunny. She must just be feeling well then!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I think we're stuck in eternal winter here.

January was spent either under several inches of snow or everything frozen solid.

Frozen solid today and snow forecast for overnight and tomorrow.

Tarragon

Visit site
Up on our hill in the Peak District, I am not sure that spring is quite here yet!
I worked out that I only rode 3 times in January, and two of them was when it was snowing. I work full time so once you have factored in it has to be weekends, and then account for when it is too icy/wet/windy/foggy, there were not many opportunities. I do have two field-kept ponies so they don't need to be ridden which makes a difference.
It is definitely lighter in the mornings and evenings though so I can feel the urge to start riding again awakening in me.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Wet,wet,wet here in France. Have had to keep the ponies in for 2 days this week to protect the paddocks. They LOVE their duvet days though, so not a problem ?

PurBee

Visit site
Long range weather for uk/ireland is mild temps mixed with very cold spells, with even some snow possible early march....but not much.

These mild spells have some plants pushing out early leaves.
So it might be like we feels its spring, then winter again for a few days, then spring....its mad!

Noticed yesterday my horses have started minimally malting. Hope they hold onto majority of their coat until march tho!

L&M

Visit site
Here in mid wales we have had several days when I can feel it - the bird song is changing and being able to be out beyond 5pm and still light such a bonus. I have also noticed our land is drying out a lot quicker - despite sleety snow on and off all day sat I can walk across our paddocks in trainers today, whereas a mnth ago they would still be holding water.

Catkins are out, trees are starting to bud up and snowdrops covering the church yard, with bulbs shooting through.

Early days and not a great forecast for the next couple for weeks but definitely feeling more positive.

irishdraft

Visit site
Not here , foul weekend wet, grey and cold, wet forcast for next few days then snow next weekend . It feels like never ending winter

Mrs B

Visit site
Well, the front garden is full of snowdrops, orange crocuses are coming out and some of my daffodils are just about to flower too ...

So, yes from that point of view but on the downside I've been at my computer all afternoon and I'm freezing!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Been lovely here too. No good for the horse as it was frozen this morning when I was off, then lovely from lunchtime on, when I was working at school. It was nice enough that we were doing PE in T shirts! Will freeze again tonight tho.

Wishfilly

Visit site
It's damp and misty here, and the weather has been rubbish all weekend, but it was pretty warm up the yard this evening, and I do think Blue is starting to moult.

The ground is waterlogged and nothing is really growing, though.

Flame_

Visit site
Lovely day here today. Fine, sunny and mild :D The dafs are coming out, I managed to ride after work and poo pick until about 5.30pm and it was still pretty light!

Probably a teaser/ false start of Spring and it will be grim, grey, and throwing it down with rain/ snow/ sleet/ hail/ all-of-them tomorrow.

Izzwall

Visit site
I love winter ? and it's far from over yet. I'm a bit of a weather fanatic and weather watching in winter is absolutely fascinating especially this year! There's been a lot of stratosphere warmings in the artic in the last month which has really disrupted the polar vortex. The polar vortex is one of the many variables that controls our weather on a west to east zonal flow and fires up our jet stream. This year however the pv has broken up in multiple places due to these warmings and reverse zonality has commensed. Over the past month its been close but cigar to a potent cold spell for the UK but its *potentially* looking like one may finally come starting from this weekend with a split vortex being forecasted and high pressure situating above Scandinavia and also Greenland. Some very cold 850s temps moving in from the north east being picked up by the computer models but still a lot of uncertainty on how cold these temps will be once in the reliable time frame (currently 96 hours-120 hours). I think with a weakening la nina has helped the high pressure gain momentum in the artic, plus other factors incl MJO moving into a more favable phase, a decent negative AO and NAO etc.

Bluewaves

Visit site
The wind chill is still nasty but there's a change in the light and the birds are singing more.

In Ireland, February 1st is St Brigid's Day and she is supposed to bring the Spring.:)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The weather has been weird like today is meant to be 12 degrees then it's going to drop down to 3 and snow predicted on the weekend, I wish it would just stay cold rather than this unsettling up and down wet weather.