Is the horse Im looking for out there?

MissGem

Visit site
Having wasted a lot of time and money on chasing around the country looking for a horse that does what it says in the ad, having a horse vetted that failed etc, I have concluded that after looking at hundreds of ads online I still can't find what I want. Why is it so difficult to find a lovely gelding, 15.1-15.3hh, 6-9 years old, to event up to pre novice and show jump up to 1.10m, without vices, past injuries etc? Any recommendations welcome, or suggestions, on where to look or who to contact, other than the main horse sales websites.

Can PM me if preferred.

TGM

Visit site
They are out there because we have one, but he is not for sale! And I think that is the root of your problem, that most people want to hold onto a horse like that! However, you might have more luck towards the end of the summer when teenagers start putting their horses on the market before setting off for university.

tinap

Visit site
Ooh RF I can see me giving you a call when I sell this one of my daughters, you have a few which are exactly what we're looking for :D

NR99

Visit site
They are out there, just be thorough in your investigation when you call to save yourself wasted journeys.

We have one but no good for you until next year as he's only 5.

Why not let local pony club DC's and secretary's know you are looking?
Good luck!

MissGem

Visit site
They are out there, just be thorough in your investigation when you call to save yourself wasted journeys.

We have one but no good for you until next year as he's only 5.

Why not let local pony club DC's and secretary's know you are looking?
Good luck!

Unfortunately, I thought I had been thorough in my investigations! Asked a catalogue of questions before making trips, but some of the answers turned out to be a little less than truthful! I have phoned up about many horses and in most cases have found that for one reason or another (vices, hacking issues, health issues etc) they are not suitable by doing this, rather than finding out when I get there.

Been looking on the PC website daily....

lottiepony

Visit site
I'm sure he's out there somewhere! And are there any chances of a compromise anywhere, like does it have to be a gelding? as not all mares are mareish :D, perhaps look at something a little older? horses live so much longer these days and I cant wait for the day my girls acts her age she's 14 not 4! also with different management systems some stable vices disappear so may be worth considering. Least your being sensible by not buying something that has failed a vetting I know loads of horror stories of people ignoring what the vet has said the wondering why the horse breaks down 6 months later! I'm sure you'll find him soon!

MissGem

Visit site
I'm sure he's out there somewhere! And are there any chances of a compromise anywhere, like does it have to be a gelding? as not all mares are mareish :D, perhaps look at something a little older? horses live so much longer these days and I cant wait for the day my girls acts her age she's 14 not 4! also with different management systems some stable vices disappear so may be worth considering. Least your being sensible by not buying something that has failed a vetting I know loads of horror stories of people ignoring what the vet has said the wondering why the horse breaks down 6 months later! I'm sure you'll find him soon!

I have had mares in the past, but with 2 geldings that get turned out together, I know it is more sensible not to put a mare amongst them! Have been considering older horses but in many cases I have enquired about, they have problems (wear and tear on joints, etc).

I'm sure something nice will turn up eventually that fits the bill! V upset about the horse that failed the vetting, but having paid for professional advice from a good vet, I felt I must take that advice.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Unfortunately, I thought I had been thorough in my investigations! Asked a catalogue of questions before making trips, but some of the answers turned out to be a little less than truthful! I have phoned up about many horses and in most cases have found that for one reason or another (vices, hacking issues, health issues etc) they are not suitable by doing this, rather than finding out when I get there.

Been looking on the PC website daily....

We've had this too unfortunately. No matter how thorough you've been on the phone, the lies seem to keep coming! My absolute won't go and see a horse without now is some recent video in all paces - and jumping. That way at least we can see if it looks like what we're after as well as ticking the boxes on all our other questions. We went to see a horse down south as we were seeing another 2 down there anyway and they didn't have video. I realised why as soon as we got there. :( V disappointing when the ad sounding amazing. If it sounds too good to be true....

Good luck in your search!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Posted before I finished - could be oversensitive laptop or that 3rd glass of wine! Meant to say these always seem to have nice types - look at their gallery.

MissGem

Visit site
We've had this too unfortunately. No matter how thorough you've been on the phone, the lies seem to keep coming! My absolute won't go and see a horse without now is some recent video in all paces - and jumping. That way at least we can see if it looks like what we're after as well as ticking the boxes on all our other questions. We went to see a horse down south as we were seeing another 2 down there anyway and they didn't have video. I realised why as soon as we got there. :( V disappointing when the ad sounding amazing. If it sounds too good to be true....

Good luck in your search!

Since my original post, I have looked at 3 more horses - first one nice, but unsuitable when investigated its record further. The second was billed as a 'complete star' - been there, done it, etc and well schooled. Patently absolutely none of the above when I got there and I shouldn't think the word 'flatwork' has ever been used or heard around the poor horse until I mentioned it. The other one was nice, but had very little done with it for its age. It's all been a real eye-opener... and I don't think I'm being overly critical.