Is the horse market slowing now & pricing my horse?

dixie

Visit site
I (think) I've come to the conclusion to sell my current horse. It doesn't come easily to me as I like to buy for life but he's too quiet for me and although he jumps pretty well he never feels like he's enjoying it and minimum effort is his mantra !

I know the horse market has gone bonkers and all the ones I'm interested in are now around the £10k mark, when a couple of years ago they were more like £6-£7k.
However, I have noticed a few that have been around for a few weeks and I'm just wondering if its actually slowing down now.

I am interested in one local horse, but I certainly don't want to pay nearly £10k if I don't have to.

Also I'm in a dilemna as to how much to market mine at. I'm thinking £8500. He's a 16.2hh ISH Gelding, 8 yrs. Laid back, totally non-spooky, excellent hack. Can jump nicely around a course of sj. So he has a lot of redeeming features, just not forward going. He likes eating though !!

So, any thoughts on the market at present?

dixie

Visit site
Yes, I've done a handful of tests, prelims and all upper 60s, possibly one 70%. He did one BE event with a 33 dressage score but I withdraw from the XC as the ground was too hard. So his flatwork is okay - I can't see him doing BD but will put in a solid prelim/novice test I think.

dixie

Visit site
He's a gorgeous Chestnut.
He's picked up a few rosettes sj - never stops but does have the odd pole at 80cm/90cm. He's got lots of scope and have schooled him round 1m but he just doesn't apply himself to the job!
His bad points is that he can be grumpy in the stable. I had him scoped but no ulcers although I have him on a ulcer type diet just in case.
Other than that he has been and is sound - I've had him checked by vet and osteo to make sure.
This is one of the things putting me off selling as I remember how difficult it was to find a sound horse the last time I looked...............

dixie

Visit site
Yes, he was treated with the drugs before he was scoped. He didn't improve on the drugs, so I scoped him and he was clean.
So I've been feeding him as if he had hind gut ulcers just in case.

mossycup

Visit site
With no proven competition record round BE, that knocks a k off. But if he is a fun, steady hack/riding club type that a mother/daughter could share/could be dragged out of the field jumped on and taken out after a week of not being ridden and there being no drama, then he will be what a lot of folk are looking for. Stick him on for 8 and then if you get 6500-7ish, it's all good!

Annagain

Visit site
Until I read about the ulcers I was thinking the £8.5k was about right. I paid £8k for Charlie in August. Your boy sounds similiar but Charlie is 6 and has nothing - not even an unaffiliated record. I probably paid a bit more for Charlie than others might but I trusted the dealer and I knew she'd get that for him from others as his temperament is so sweet. After 14 months of looking I wasn't going to miss out on him for the sake of £500 - £1000.

The ulcers would put me off too though because although I don't recall your previous posts, I assume there must have been behaviour issues that led you to think that he has ulcers. I'd be concerned a move could cause that behaviour to return.

I don't think the market has slowed. A friend is looking and with two horses now, she has contacted sellers within 3-4 hours of adverts appearing on FB to be told the horse has sold unseen. She is after exactly the sort of horse your boy is.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No idea on price, but he sounds fantastic and entirely out of my price bracket if I were looking.

Sorry, absolutely no help whatsoever...

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Yes at the lower end. We've been looking for a project pony all summer but the prices have been ott and there are some coming on line now at more normal prices. Even found one worth looking at today.

Annagain

Visit site
Not trying to be judgemental but 8000. Is a lot of money for a horse that isn’t a brilliant jumper.

To be fair OP didn't say he wasn't a brilliant jumper - just not an overly enthusiastic one. There are lots of people who would love a safe, steady ride round a smallish course of jumps, a 'solid' prelim or novice test and a very easy going hack. The way the market is at the moment, £8k is about the norm for that.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I think you are in the right sort of ballpark at the moment.
A horse I have been sharing lessons with has gone up for sale. 15.1 on tiptoe, sensible but green, no record. Will make a nice riding club type horse but not overly scope. 8k

dixie

Visit site
To be fair OP didn't say he wasn't a brilliant jumper - just not an overly enthusiastic one. There are lots of people who would love a safe, steady ride round a smallish course of jumps, a 'solid' prelim or novice test and a very easy going hack. The way the market is at the moment, £8k is about the norm for that.

This is what he is. He can jump a 90cm/1m course easily at home and has plenty of scope. He’s totally non-spooky and jumps round in a rhythm but there’s no spark and I like my horses to love jumping not to put up with me!
I also think £8k is quite steep but the markets risen and what I want has also gone up too
The ulcers would also put me off but he didn’t have them. He’s grumpy to rug and brush sometimes and not cuddly hence the scoping, no odd behaviour riding.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
£8500 does sound like a lot BUT I also don't think it's unreasonable in the current market! A friend just bought a horse and I spent quite a while looking at ads (just for fun) and the prices on most of them horrified me. If your horse is sound, scoped clear and is as you describe then I bet you would have some interest at that price.

Had vet out today and I asked him if the market was still bonkers and he said it's still go, go, go on the vettings front.

Flicker

Visit site
I would pay around that mark at the moment for a good, sound, sensible and safe allrounder. If, as you say, he is uncomplicated and easy to do, hacks alone and in company, travels well and is good to catch, lead, handle etc, I think that there is a very good market for that kind of horse.

Ceifer

Visit site
Temperament is worth a lot too don’t forget. Something easy going that will do RC and low level will reach 7.5k - 8.5k.
We’ve just sold an ex race horse that was schooled nicely on the flat (balanced in all three paces and sat in an easy outline), bombproof hack and no competition record for £8,750.

smiggy

Visit site
I enquired about a pretty 14.2 arab, done nothing at all, backed and hacked basically, gelding . £7000.
so agree prices still bonkers

spacefaer

Visit site
From what I'm seeing, I think horses are taking longer to sell - ie days or a couple of weeks rather than hours as in the mid summer madness. Prices are still strong but slightly more negotiable than they were- the highest prices have come down a little.
Having said that, we would still ask the same prices now for the horses we sold during the 1st lockdown. Quality horses should always command good prices.

Your chap sounds like what a lot of people are looking for. You should have a lot of interest at 8.5k and I know people who would put a grand on that as an asking price. (Also depends where you are in the country)

Trouper

Visit site
I think I would play a waiting game for a little longer. It's winter and, although the furlough scheme has been extended, I think the economic situation is very uncertain for some people. Horses may be being marketed at ridiculous prices but if you are seeing adverts up for a longer time, it may be an indicator that things are slowing.
It's a bit like house buying tbh - if the market is up you may get more for yours but you will be paying more, too. Unless you want to sell and be horseless for a while until the market steadies, you will not make much on the deal.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
That would definitely be priced to sell at £8,500 in Essex.
As long as he scoped clear previously & passes the vetting that sounds a fair price for him.
TBH yes prices are high but when compared with the price of puppies I think they are currently right.
Im about to advertise my 10yr old small 15hh connie at £5k but he needs a skillful sensitive rider so Im trying to attract the right home & put off the novices.
The trouble is strictly speaking you will have to wait until lockdown is over because viewings are not essential travel!
I would advertise him at that & see who comes along which is what I intend doing with the aim of being highly selective - much like an interview process!

Sail_away

Visit site
You can put him up for 8k and see what happens but horse sales are slowing quite considerably. Quite a few seemingly nice horses have been up for weeks, we’re seeing one this weekend that I’d expect to be double the price a couple months ago.