Is the weather affecting mares?

pip6

Visit site
Our mare was 320 days on may 15th. It's her third foal, the other two were born just after 320 days. This one is going to be later, being 330 already. She has most of the signs, but foal hasn't turned yet and is porking her head off again tonight. Wondered if the weather had changed her usual routine.

crazycoloured

Visit site
yes I think it is..still waiting for my mare to pop,she has milk and has slackened off a heck of a lot but still nothing,the weather is so changebale here its putting the mares back a bit..

KarynK

Visit site
Certainly is mine didn't even look like they were carrying until a week ago, a friends mare earlier went 368 days, mine look like they will be close to that.

Alec Swan

Visit site
The prevailing weather conditions are the given reason, annually, for any unplanned for events, from covering successes through to foaling dates and post foaling problems.

If I hear one more vet tell me that "It's a funny old year", then I'll point out to them that they've been telling me that, every single year for the last decade!! ;)

ets, correction "Two Decades"!!

Alec. :)

Rollin

Visit site
I actually do think that mares wait for good weather to foal. Weather in March can always be changeable but one of our Cleveland Bay mares has on two occassions foaled just as the weather has turned a bit warmer.

I also think it effects 'seasons' every mare and filly in this yard came into season in January when it was so mild the grass was growing. Since it turned much colder they have been a bit erratic.

I have another Cleveland mare in foal (she had twins on scan) and was in season for 6 days. Not warm enough for my Shagya mare who has had three days seasons. Fingers crossed for next week when it looks like warming up.

pip6

Visit site
My Arab mare only has three day seasons. She is only receptive third day.

The ish mare is massive now, think by 368 she'd pop!

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
The weird weather did nothing much to change the foaling days of my mares; they all still foaled between their usual 328 days and 335 days. That's been what they've all foaled at historically for the past few years.

However, for the open/maiden mares who have been/are being bred this year it is a totally different story. We're almost in June now and although all mares (except one) have been bred/rebred, the open mares have been very erratic in their heats. We've been blighted by loads of transitionals at every turn. One mare is *still* having transitional heats and little uterine activity! She does have a follicle which looks to being breedable this coming week though so fingers crossed it doesn't fizzle away like all the others she's had. Last cycle she had 7 follicles and none were any good to breed on. I have only 2 mares confirmed in foal atm with the rest all being preg scanned this coming week. Even if only half of them are pregnant I will be very pleased.

pip6

Visit site
332 days and not dropped yet. Had hoped the two lovely sunny days we've just had would do the trick but no, and now loads of rain forecast for next couple of days.:(

Rollin

Visit site
My Arab mare only has three day seasons. She is only receptive third day.

The ish mare is massive now, think by 368 she'd pop!

Thank you for that tip!!!

One year I needed to cover a CB mare with my 17hh stallion in hand - he is too strong for me. My helper could only come on Day 3 of season but we had a foal after just the one covering.

pip6

Visit site
I took my girl to the stud when she was receptive. The first cycle they said come back in 2 days (day 5), even when I phoned them & said she had gone out of season (covreing on day 3 wasn't great, she didn't stand particuarly well for him). Went back day 5 & she nearly took him out. Very definate no! They offered to try again & I declined. On the next season covered her (properly) again on day 3 only, fell pregnant no problem.

Everything has to be right for her. I lent her to a good stud last year so they could have a foal for them, & they didn't listen, hence they didn't get a foal. They tried covering outside day 3, & told me she had walloped their lad ion the chest (no kidding, that's why I said day 3 only). So they tried AI, but with the cool/damp weather last year (they are in Cumbria & I'm in sunny south so girl not used to cool weather) they didn't keep her rugged (was wooly mammoth when I picked her up in August) & also used a very poor barefoot rimmer who cut so much off she was extremely lame. No way was she going to conceive on the wrong day/cold/wet/in pain. They even pg'd her without asking for my consent first (stipulated in loan agreement only emergency treatment couold be given without my consent). At one point they rang the previous stud to find out how to manange her (that would be the one she didn't stay at but I took her too when I decided it was right times), when I'd told them if they had any questions to ask me. They offered am free AI (just cover shipping costs) the following year - think they felt very guilty about state she was returned in.

Last edited:

pip6

Visit site
Brilliant! Huge colt foal born yesterday by Tinsley Faerie Legend, no wonder he needed the extra cooking time:D