Is there a better way to sort this electric fenced track issue?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I've got a track round the outside of a field (ie post and rail down one side, electric tape and plastic posts down the other side).

I need to be able to cut the track in half to separate ponies overnight (one needs soaked hay, one won't really eat soaked hay at all, so I separate them at night so I can give the little one some dry hay)

IMG_20210614_101900.jpg

At the moment I've got some extra tape tied onto the main electric fence (which seems to electrify it quite well) and then it cuts across the track to a plastic post tied onto the post and rail. But I have to untie and move this plastic post up parallel to the main electric fence every morning to open the whole track, and then move it back every evening to separate the ponies. And I've got 4 strands of tape (because, shetland ?) and I always end up in a bit of a tangle.

Is there a better way to do this?! I don't really understand how gates work in electric fences- does anyone have a link to a good "how to" type website?

Auslander

Visit site
I split my track using stretchy electric rope with a gate handle at each end. I unhook it from the electrified centre when it's not in use, and drop it over the fence so they can't hang themselves on it

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I split my track using stretchy electric rope with a gate handle at each end. I unhook it from the electrified centre when it's not in use, and drop it over the fence so they can't hang themselves on it
So what do you hook the handles onto? Do you have a wooden post in your track, or is it possible to hook the handles onto the plastic posts?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Can you manage two or three of these attached to the post & rail clipped onto the main electric fence to energise? If it’s a semi permanent track, putting a post opposite the post & rail fence and adding a couple of insulators that you can hook these to might be an option-

https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/fl...um=shopping&utm_campaign=pla_free+shopping+UK
That looks perfect! (as long as I pretend I don't have a mortal fear of electric rope ?) EDIT: I've just seen they do a tape version as well ??

So if amongst my main line of electric tape I had one wooden post with metal hooks, and the main tape going through the metal hooks, and the new handles hooked onto those same metal hooks- would that be enough to electrify the new section?!

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
May I suggest you go onto some Facebook "Track" groups as I think you will find them helpful.

There's a few which are UK based.
Great idea, I'll go and have a look now (except I get really awkward about asking questions if it's a "public" group, and everyone I know can see what I'm posting ?‍♀️ I'll see if there are any closed groups ??)

tda

Visit site
I would also get a stretchy gate thing, the handle in them has a rod thru that you can hook onto the electrified fence to give power, the other end you could add another handle and tie baler twine loops every so often to hook onto at the post and rail side.
I think that would work??

I'm Dun

Visit site
You dont need to spend tons, just get some gate handles and some gate attachments and job done. They are about £2 each on ebay

Merrymoles

Visit site
We simply use gate handles on the electric fence side, hook them straight on to the fence but double up the poles so there is one on each side of the handles with just a small channel between to keep the handles firmly in place. Ours is hooked in to the insulator that runs the electric rope on the post and rail fence and we can simply unhook it and shift it along to the next post. I find I can do it without getting shocked if I wear gloves and wellies.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I use springy handles and my Highland demoloshed them. I think she'd gone through 6 total.
I'm back to tangling myself in 5 strands of tape as a gate.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
We simply use gate handles on the electric fence side, hook them straight on to the fence but double up the poles so there is one on each side of the handles with just a small channel between to keep the handles firmly in place. Ours is hooked in to the insulator that runs the electric rope on the post and rail fence and we can simply unhook it and shift it along to the next post. I find I can do it without getting shocked if I wear gloves and wellies.
Aaah- so the extra post basically supports the weight of the handle, and this allows you to then hook the handles directly on to the electric tape/rope? This could definitely be a winner!

Auslander

Visit site
So what do you hook the handles onto? Do you have a wooden post in your track, or is it possible to hook the handles onto the plastic posts?
i have ring insulators in the post and rail and double ring insulators in the posts on the track. If you don't have wooden posts on the track, you can put two plastic posts next to each other, then hook the gate handles to the tape/rope between them

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
i have ring insulators in the post and rail and double ring insulators in the posts on the track. If you don't have wooden posts on the track, you can put two plastic posts next to each other, then hook the gate handles to the tape/rope between them
Ah right, I get it- this is so obvious now you've said it, I'm pretty embarrassed I didn't think of it myself!