Is there a hoof boot for turnout?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
In theory any hoof boot will work but I would imagine the Cavallos would be about the most robust. Not post abscess but just to protect DP’s thin soles I have used his old Renegades in the past but he kept trashing them because he is so clumsy.

HelenBack

Visit site
I've used old macs for turnout and like the fact that they have the gaiter so are hopefully less likely to come off. That's probably less of an issue in the summer when it's not muddy though so I would also think any boot would be fine.

HelenBack

Visit site
In theory any hoof boot will work but I would imagine the Cavallos would be about the most robust. Not post abscess but just to protect DP’s thin soles I have used his old Renegades in the past but he kept trashing them because he is so clumsy.

Just out of curiosity have you used a pad inside the renegades? I'm looking for something a bit less clumpy but still want to be able to use a pad. I know they say not to but wondered if some people did anyway.

Michen

Visit site
The cavallos have a new boot designed to be worn over shoes so probably sturdiest for turnout

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Just out of curiosity have you used a pad inside the renegades? I'm looking for something a bit less clumpy but still want to be able to use a pad. I know they say not to but wondered if some people did anyway.

No I’ve never used a pad but they do make one with a bonded gel pad which is factory fitted and special order.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Cavallo treks are very good for turnout, if it’s not muddy, they can be used for 22/24 hours per day for a few days. They are quite clumpy so if it’s a front foot I’d put boots on both fronts so as not to unbalance the horse, and on all 4 feet if it was a hind foot, which would get rather expensive if you don’t have a stock of boots in o_O.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I used cavallos for this purpose. Have kept a pair in case, they probably are half a size too big as were good when poulticing and it was muddy too. He has to have sock too though.

joosie

Visit site
I've never used hoof boots for this!
Poultice - gamgee (or even better, a piece of foam or other kind of padding) - vetwrap - make a boot out of duct tape - finish with extra tape around the toe.
Mine will easily stay on for several days of 24/7 turnout and never go through the toe.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I've never used hoof boots for this!
Poultice - gamgee (or even better, a piece of foam or other kind of padding) - vetwrap - make a boot out of duct tape - finish with extra tape around the toe.
Mine will easily stay on for several days of 24/7 turnout and never go through the toe.

Mine always goes through the toe. I have found a hoof boot in the back of the tack room and seems to be OK.

2HorseHouse

New User
Visit site
Just bought a Tubbease hoof sock - brilliant for keeping poultices on. My mare has thin soles and is just recovering from a puncture wound. She's currently wearing the sock around the field until the farrier can get out and replace her shoe.

BBP

Visit site

I’m a huge renegade fan but not succeeded with pads in them. I’ve just got some Exploras which are similar to renegades, and those have taken pads fine on a couple of rides so far.

For turnout I alternate between cavallos and scoots, both with pads. Both come off when the pony hits top gear, but at least they come fully off rather than partially and swinging around.