Is there a HYBRID/ELECTRIC Alternative to a Shogun type yet for towing?

wanderersmelody

Visit site
I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but is there a Hybrid/Electric alternative out there yet, that won't break the bank, that has a decent kerb weight to tow 2 x 16.2hh plus trailer...... I love my Shogun and it really is the best car i have had for towing, but i am also conscious that I am going to start getting clobbered for high road tax (as if the tax at the moment isn't enough.....I mean, who do they think pays for all the re-tarmacing and pot hole filling - £0 road tax users?!)

Caol Ila

Visit site
I don't think so. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the biggest hybrid SUV out there right now is the Mitsubishi Outlander, and it's rated to tow 1500kg, which isn't as much as a Skoda Yeti or similar. Definitely would not tow two 16.2+ horses.

Caol Ila

Visit site
If I could afford a brand new car, I would look at the Shogun Sports, which came out in 2018. They're an SUV on an L200 body and look sweet. They can also tow 3100kg. 33mpg combined. Not horrendous, for what it is.

The Jaguar E-Pace is a hybrid that can tow 1800kg -- more than the Outlander, but doesn't really get you to two horses.

My OH did a bit of research, and for £87,000, you can have a Land Rover Range Rover p400-E, which can tow up to 2500kg. Or for £78,000, you can get a Tesla Model X, which will tow 2700kg. The cheapest seems to be a Porsche Cayenne, which can tow 3500kg and goes for the bargain price of £66,000. Start fishing the change out of that sofa.

Autotrader tells me you can get older hybrid Cayennes -- up to 2010 -- for saner amounts of money (the cheapest one is around £14k), but their fuel economy is no better than the diesel pick-ups or SUVs.

Last edited:

deb_l222

Visit site
There’s a few hybrids that can tow over 2000kg but they don’t come cheap. Add to the list above the Lexus RX and the NX self charging hybrids.

The Outlander PHEV looks good but doesn’t perform in the towing department. Range Rover have a good hybrid (Velar) but you will need a second mortgage.

Just worth noting, the car tax is an emissions tax and doesn’t contribute at all to the cost of road repairs :)

Equi

Visit site
I would be very wary of any hybrid. My mum has a hybrid self charge and admittedly its not used a lot but it has a lot of issues with just not starting because the (electric) battery is dead, so the car wont start as it is electric up to 15mph. It got tested and no issues, but if she wants to replace the battery it will be £2500ish. We don't live too far from town so the "charge" doesn't get to kick in and thus it doesn't...the petrol it uses is minimal for sure...but thats cause it never works :p she would sell but won't get anything substantial for it vs what it cost/miles on the clock

canteron

Visit site
The Range Rover Sport P400E is a hybrid petrol/electric 4x4. Towing capacity is officially three tonnes but I know they’ll tow six tonnes quite happily.
If it’s the same one, I spoke to a dealer at Burghley, who confessed he didn’t think it was really up to the towing job - I think it only has a 2 litre engine? And they were expensive!

FourLeafClover

Visit site
If it’s the same one, I spoke to a dealer at Burghley, who confessed he didn’t think it was really up to the towing job - I think it only has a 2 litre engine? And they were expensive!
Maybe it’s a different one or the one I know of is a higher specced system - but you honestly wouldn’t know there was anything behind you when it’s towing, and I’m talking loads much heavier than a couple of horses! They are expensive though.
It’s a plug in hybrid rather than a self charge one I believe.

deb_l222

Visit site

I've just had a look at this on Land Rover's website - it's a fantastic vehicle but comes at a fantastic price!!

It does have a 2 litre engine but it's the maximum torque that you need to look at and this is good (640). It can tow 3120 kg which is amazing has a HP of 404 and an 8 speed automatic transmission, which will be the smoothest thing ever. This can be yours for the princely sum of £89,300 :eek:

My current towing vehicle only has a 1.2 litre engine but can tow up to 1200 kg so don't automatically discount smaller engines. It's all about the torque :)

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
My current towing vehicle only has a 1.2 litre engine but can tow up to 1200 kg so don't automatically discount smaller engines. It's all about the torque :)

Yikes!!! What do you tow with that!?! My trailer is 1000kg before I put anything in it. I wouldn't dream of towing with such an under powered vehicle!! It's not the towing you need to worry about.... it's the ability to stop when you need to!!
I have towed with a Freelander with one horse and trying to brake going down hill... it was not pretty! A Freelander can tow up to 2000kg but I wouldn't like to tow again with something so small.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I suppose there are also questions of battery longevity if you're buying a used vehicle, or if you're someone who hangs onto vehicles until the bitter end. My OH had kicked around the idea of trading in his Passat Alltrack for a used Outlander PHEV, but as he did more research, he realised that there were issues with battery life, especially in cars of the age and mileage he could afford. As someone further up the thread said, it costs £2k+ to replace the batteries in these things. If that might be something you have to do within a couple years of owning the car, it's really not worth it.

The Passat, on the other hand, has been a solid, reliable beastie. He decided to hang onto it for now. When the low emission zones hit Glasgow in two years' time, he'll revisit the issue, as both the Passat and my Yeti are Euro 5 diesels, we both want to keep the Yeti (that said, I could trade my Yeti in for a Yeti six months newer and be Euro 6). Either the EVs will have improved and there will be more of them, or he'll buy a petrol Subaru Outback.

deb_l222

Visit site
Yikes!!! What do you tow with that!?! My trailer is 1000kg before I put anything in it. I wouldn't dream of towing with such an under powered vehicle!! It's not the towing you need to worry about.... it's the ability to stop when you need to!!
I have towed with a Freelander with one horse and trying to brake going down hill... it was not pretty! A Freelander can tow up to 2000kg but I wouldn't like to tow again with something so small.

But it's not underpowered, that's the point. The engine is small but it produces plenty of BHP (150) and has a maximum towing capacity of 1200kg. It would never be powerful enough to tow a trailer and horses but I don't need it to. It is however a very sturdy vehicle for the caravan :)

Hack4fun

Visit site
I would be very wary of any hybrid. My mum has a hybrid self charge and admittedly its not used a lot but it has a lot of issues with just not starting because the (electric) battery is dead, so the car wont start as it is electric up to 15mph. It got tested and no issues, but if she wants to replace the battery it will be £2500ish. We don't live too far from town so the "charge" doesn't get to kick in and thus it doesn't...the petrol it uses is minimal for sure...but thats cause it never works :p she would sell but won't get anything substantial for it vs what it cost/miles on the clock
I have a Lexus hybrid and it has been immaculate.