Is there a link here?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Hi all, hope everyone is well. Haven't posted in a while, but need your advice.

Just got back from the emfency vet with Ralph my Beagle. He hasn't had anything to drink since 3am and turned his dinner down (unheard of, this dog is completely obsessed with food) so I knew something was up right away. He was then sick 7 or 8 times over a period of 2 hours so I took him to the vets. They said temp fine and not de hydrated yet but would be if the vomiting continues. So anti sickness given and mild sedative and pain relief given also as he was a bit uncomfy when they examined his belly. They said if vomiting continues then back tomorrow for bloods and x Ray..

Racking my brains as to what he has eaten that has made him like this. But one odd thing I noticed which I don't know is related. He kept wanting to go outside in the garden a lot today. He would be in for a minute or so and want to go back out. I thought maybe it was cause he felt like he needed to be sick. But when I walked round the garden (wanted to check for anything dodgy) I noticed he has dug (he never ever dogs!!!) up my plant and has also ripped up the sheeting and is digging up the sand. He could have only started this yesterday as I didn't see it before. Could he be eating the soil and sand which has made him poorly?

{97702}

Visit site
He should be eating grass and foliage which will make his digestion better not worse - also possibly mud - my dogs do it all the time, particularly George terrier who has a lot of ‘gurgly stomach’ episodes that never quite develop to an upset stomach as in vomiting/diarrhoea?

George will ask to go out every hour or so All Night ?? to make himself feel better - and it always seems to work, even if I am knackered the next day!

it is unusual that Ralph isn’t drinking, usually a dog will drink more with a stomach upset, so fingers crossed that he settles down soon and comes back to normal xxx

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd query a blockage as he doesn't want to eat or drink.
Also check for enlarged spleen.
Digging and eating foliage would be symptom not cause.

My own dog had similar symptoms early 2016 and he was extremely sorry for himself. Think he had picked up something nasty during the floods.
Really wasn't himself, wanted to lie down all the time, head down, camped out, very gassy, very whiney/subdued (and he's normally like the canine version of Begbie from Trainspotting).
At that time I queried bloat or torsion but he'd have been dead by the time I got to to the vet if it had been either of those things.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks Lev. We have artifical grass but he does eat grass on walks but always has done. The digging is new. He has never done it. He has had sickness epidoses in the past but has always drank and eaten normally. This is the first episode in which he wants neither and then when he started crying and trembling I took him to the vets.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'd query a blockage as he doesn't want to eat or drink.
Also check for enlarged spleen.
Digging and eating foliage would be symptom not cause.

My own dog had similar symptoms early 2016 and he was extremely sorry for himself. Think he had picked up something nasty during the floods.
Really wasn't himself, wanted to lie down all the time, head down, camped out, very gassy, very whiney/subdued (and he's normally like the canine version of Begbie from Trainspotting).
At that time I queried bloat or torsion but he'd have been dead by the time I got to to the vet if it had been either of those things.

I also thought of a blockage. If he doesn't eat breakfast tomorrow then I'll call the vet again.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
My now 10 year old lab had an episode a bit like this for a couple of days last year. She was sick after each meal and in between. We had slowly changed her food over, but in retrospect that wasn't the issue. I took her to the vets at the end of the second day. She had an anti sickness jab and it resolved itself. She had only had access to our acre garden in the days before hand, so it was all a bit strange. I remember at the time feeling I wanted to know more about why she was poorly, but the vet, who was great, said it could have been all sorts of things, but likely nothing serious. In the end she was right. Fingers crossed it will be the same for your boy. xx

LaurenBay

Visit site
He still hasn't eaten today. I made him some chicken and rice. Has not been sick again though. Vet said to syringe the meds in and if not eating by tomorrow then take him back. They have given him omeprasol

LaurenBay

Visit site
Still not drinking. Vets are giving me a syringe to give fluid and meds. They said if not eating by tomorrow then take him back for x Ray and bloods. He is still wagging his tail at me. But I can't tempt him to eat. I've tried feeding him by hand. He walked near a lake the other day but never goes in as terrified of water

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
He's not being sick because there's nothing to bring back up/he's had anti sickness meds, it's not necessarily a good sign.

Don't be afraid to push your vet/advocate for your dog. I'd be sitting on the doorstep or taking my business elsewhere personally.
I say that having had a dog that survived a serious blockage and one who didn't make it after splenic hemangiosarcoma, which has very few symptoms until it's too late.

At worst, you'll be considered a pushy pain in the ass ;) but at least you'll have peace of mind.

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
It is difficult, people is marked by once experiences, and I'm no different. Perhaps it can resolve itself, but it's the not drinking part which worries me the most.

For example Jonna stopped eating some weeks ago, if my veterinarian would not have had time for her the next day, I would have started to call other veterinarians for an appointment. And that ended well, with rest + special food, which she ate some herself, and I hand fed some meals, now she's okay again. But she never stopped drinking.
However, many years ago, I had a cat who stopped eating, and drinking. When we tried giving her some water via syringe, she couldn't keep it down, and it turned out that it was her liver that had shut down. It sadly wasn't fixable. Hence the not drinking part worries me the most.

I don't know how much a Beagle drinks per day in average, but normally/in average my Finnish Lapphunds, around 15 kg in weight, drinks between 5dl to around 1L per day. It seems difficult (though not impossible) to give them that amount of water via a syringe.

{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}} to Ralph.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ralph is having a sleepover at the vets. I called again around 4ish as I still couldn't tempt him to eat and syringing fluid in was not easy. I called them and said he is more lethargic and won't eat or drink and they said to bring him in. They said he is dehydrated and in more discomfort then yesterday despite not being sick today. They are doing bloods tonight and giving him fluids and will either do x rays tonight/early in morning and let me know. Fingers crossed its nothing serious. Luckily he is insured!

{97702}

Visit site
Ralph is having a sleepover at the vets. I called again around 4ish as I still couldn't tempt him to eat and syringing fluid in was not easy. I called them and said he is more lethargic and won't eat or drink and they said to bring him in. They said he is dehydrated and in more discomfort then yesterday despite not being sick today. They are doing bloods tonight and giving him fluids and will either do x rays tonight/early in morning and let me know. Fingers crossed its nothing serious. Luckily he is insured!

I am totally confused why they are not scanning and x-raying NOW, particularly given that they have said he is in more discomfort than yesterday? What on earth is wrong with them?

Keeping my fingers tightly crossed for poor Ralph and you xx

LaurenBay

Visit site
Vets just called. They did do the x ray tonight and taken bloods. At the moment he is coming round from sedation and has a drip for fluids. X ray shows no blockage but vet said she wants to repeat it tomorrow as it can show if the small intestine is working correctly?. Only some of the bloods are back, rest should be within the next hour. So far nothing out of the ordinary is showing up.

LaurenBay

Visit site
He is home :). They said x rays and bloods came back clear. He has eaten overnight and seems a lot more comfy. Has had fluids overnight so is hydrated. Has been Tiolet (although it is diarrhoea) but seems a lot happier and brighter in himself. I haven't seen him drink yet but I will keep a close eye through the day. He is currently curled up on his favourite chair fast asleep.

Goldenstar

Visit site
We had a lab she presented in a similar way vets xrayed she had ingested a jelly fish and two kilos ( yes two kilos ) of sand .
One op later she was fine