Is there a market for 2nd hand stuff?

chaps89

Visit site
I have everything from headcollars and fly masks to rugs to tack to electric fencing to haynets to horsebox!
Pretty sure horsebox should sell (lots of listings on FB pages but do they sell on there?) but is there even a market for 2nd hand stuff?
From what I can see on FB there seems to be a trend for wanting the latest new stuff in the latest on trend colours, is there a want/need for more basic but good quality day to day kit?
What's the best way to sell - eBay, FB, preloved, somewhere else?
How do you price it? For example I bought 6 new haynets less than 3 months ago for £40-ish, but I'm sure I won't get close to that now, how do I work out what's realistic, do I put open to offers or just resign myself and make a nice donation to charity, can a charity even use/would they want things like that?!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Yes, there's always a market for second hand from people like me who look for second hand first before considering new.

Finding the right price is tricky. I look at similar ads on Facebook, ebay and gumtree to get an idea, then think about what you'd be happy with.

I've sold second hand stuff to a shop called Tack & Turnout who try to sell on for a profit.

If you are going to donate to charity please donate stuff they can sell or use. I saw a post on Facebook the other day from someone moaning the local charity shop wouldn't take their ripped and stained old sofa... yes it could be re-upholstered and sold for a profit but charity shops aren't going to invest in that.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I’ve never sold on FB, Preloved etc but I did a large well known horsey car boot a few years ago and sold loads. I made sure all items were clean and well presented so people could see them and every item had a tag with the description, size, price etc.

There must be some near your on bank holiday Monday. I know you probably won’t sell the box but drive it there and let people know it is for sale. Research prices and be prepared to barter but things are better sold than being taken home.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Lots of market for good second hand stuff. Research price, good clear photos. Be willing to post at buyers cost.

I mostly sell fixed price on eBay, post tracked. Or list on local Facebook groups.

TPO

Visit site
If your nets are small hole types then they'll sell no problem this time of year. Same with tape and posts.

Unless headcollars are in demand matchy types there isn't a huge demand from what I can see online.

Saddles are in high demand just now because theres an 8-12wk lead time for new ones so the second hand market is booming.

Winter rugs dont tend to sell well this time of year so either hold on until next autumn or be prepared to get very little for them.

Fly masks, fly rugs, grazing muzzles are all popular this time of year too

tda

Visit site
I have lots of stuff to sell too but I'm waiting until there is a table top sale nearby.
I'm going to price everything, but will take offers on everything

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I've sold all sorts of horse (and other) things on Ebay, and made a reasonable amount of profit from doing so- I've even made a decent profit on a few things that were second hand when I bought them (best of all was the £2.50 exercise sheet that I bought at a car boot sale, it didn't fit my horse so I sold it on Ebay and it went for £21 excluding P&P!). As long as the item looks clean, you take a selection of good photos that show it from all angles, and measurements are included in the write up, then almost anything (in reasonable/useable condition) seems to attract some interest. I put them on as an auction item, and usually things go for more than the fixed price I would have thought appropriate. It seems to work better if you add the postage charge as extra, and make sure you weigh the item so that you don't end up making a loss on something heavy. The odd thing may not sell, usually niche items or things that are very cheap to buy new.

For more general items that are also awkward to post (eg fence posts or buckets) then Gumtree can work well, at this time of year that seems to especially apply to anything that could be re-purposed for use in the garden (wheelbarrows, trugs, hosepipes etc). Put ALL the details in your ad to avoid endless questions from people though- although there will still be someone who asks how long the '4 foot fence posts' that you are selling are :oops::p

If you want to get rid of as much as possible in as short a space of time as possible than an Equine car boot sale can be good, but how much you sell/make is very dependent on who/how many people turn up on the day. Sales that clash with other events or are badly advertised can be a waste of time from a selling POV.

Good luck :)

Visit site
There is always a market for 2nd hand stuff it just depends what it is. I have a whole load of show jackets I need to sell because I don't ever use them - black and navy ones, some cheap nylon other very expensive woolen ones. I need to figure out what price I am putting on the woolen ones before I advertise them.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Yes especially at the moment because there are a lot of things out of stock due to a mix of Covid, Brexit and Suez. I’ve bought a few things off friends so it might be worth advertising amongst friends first.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I always double check eBay and FB groups before buying new, as prefer second hand to buying new a lot of the time.

I'm struggling to sell a few bits second hand though on FB as had lots of time wasters. Not sold on eBay before, but tempted to give it a go.

What haynets do you have? If they are Nibbleze/Trickle Net types, I'd be interested.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks all, some food for thought here.
I've had a Google but can't see any local horsey car boots for now, wonder I'd covid still prevents them/is putting people off running them? That would be the ideal really.
Good point about selling fly stuff, fencing etc now and rugs coming into winter.
It's somewhat complicated as I also have my original horses stuff to sell too, and the majority of it all is up at my parents in north Shropshire, whilst I'm down near Heathrow. I can foresee me paying my mother a cut for dealing with some of it for me at this rate.
I definitley wouldn't donate junk to charity, most of my things are good quality and have been well looked after so have plenty of life in them, definitley usable if not saleable.

Haynets wise I have a couple of the big shires elimanet and a couple of the medium ones, the medium ones are a bit tatty now but still usable. The rest are the new ones and are large sized with small holes (but not teeny sized holes like nibleeze etc)

Just need dry weather at the weekend now so I can drag out the bits that are in my shed and photograph them!

Visit site
I really need to sort through all my excess tack as I know I have loads and loads and loads of bridles and bits of bridles I don't use. All geared towards showing so no flashes etc and all plain flat leather. So a bit more of a niche market.

Derby House is also sometimes good for picking up cheap bridles ... I have 3 brand new black pony size double bridles that they put in their sale a couple of years ago for £5 each ... not that anyone needs to be accumulating more stuff....

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Thanks all, some food for thought here.
I've had a Google but can't see any local horsey car boots for now, wonder I'd covid still prevents them/is putting people off running them? That would be the ideal really.
Good point about selling fly stuff, fencing etc now and rugs coming into winter.
It's somewhat complicated as I also have my original horses stuff to sell too, and the majority of it all is up at my parents in north Shropshire, whilst I'm down near Heathrow. I can foresee me paying my mother a cut for dealing with some of it for me at this rate.
I definitley wouldn't donate junk to charity, most of my things are good quality and have been well looked after so have plenty of life in them, definitley usable if not saleable.

Haynets wise I have a couple of the big shires elimanet and a couple of the medium ones, the medium ones are a bit tatty now but still usable. The rest are the new ones and are large sized with small holes (but not teeny sized holes like nibleeze etc)

Just need dry weather at the weekend now so I can drag out the bits that are in my shed and photograph them!

Thank you. Pony eats through Elim-A-Nets and the Shires version so will need to pass. So far only Nibbleze seem to stand up to him. Shame, as I'd have taken them off you otherwise!

fredflop

Visit site
I’d say try advertising a few bits at a time, otherwise it will take you forever to list everything.

I tend to stick to Facebook marketplace, as it’s easier than eBay.

if items aren’t selling there, I stuck them on eBay with a low starting bid.

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
Fb market place is best place IMO. I tend to do some fb profile searching to see if the buyers look ok if sending items. Am amazed how much 2nd items go for

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've sold absolutely loads through Fb marketplace...bought loads too. I'm a bit addicted ??
I often can't afford to buy brand new stuff so I'm definitely one of those people who jumps on a bargain :)

lottiepony

Visit site
Always a market for second hand! The only thing that makes me laugh a bit is how tight we all are at times. Quite happy to pay out top dollar for new stuff but then all want a bargain second hand despite knowing what the original value would have been! I've used Facebook, ebay and done car boots in the past. Also a local tack shop will sell items on your behalf and takes a percentage. Love this as no effort involved and feels like free money when it comes to buying stuff as if you have credit no need to get the wallet out. A local riding club used to do an auction which was great fun to go to.
If you want it gone I would price keenly, I look at it as any thing is better than nothing.

scruffyponies

Visit site
A word of warning on pricing. If you look at FB marketplace, you will see lots of stuff priced too high to sell. The reasonably priced stuff sell quickly, and you probably won't see it unless you stalk for months.
Check completed ads on Ebay to see what did, and more importantly didn't sell. Lots of repeat listings for the same lot give a good indication of a slow market, or unrealistic pricing.

windand rain

Visit site
Was going to give my extra stuff to the kids instructor someone set fire to her yard with a horse in it I know she will sell on but not too bothered as she needs the money but not sure whether she has caught up with the usual tack/grooming stuff we hve about. Most of what we have is quite small or cob sized it is a very long time since I had a big horse. It was sad about the horse so maybe just knee jerk I will sort it out and ask her

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
I'm always on the look out for 2nd hand stuff bit only if priced as 2nd hand. I've lost count of number of adverts where people are selling 2nd hand at around or sometimes more than new prices. If a brand new rug is £80 I don't want to spend £50 or £60 on 2nd hand to then have to pay £17.00 on top for cleaning and reproofing.
Best 2nd hand purchase I ever got was at a tack sale 8 years ago, it was a British lambs wool cooler rug, that I paid £5.00 for. I've used it so much and it still looks brand new.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Not your area but York horse sales has taken their tack sales online with timed auctions. I am sure that other auction houses will have done the same.

mariew

Visit site
I ended up giving most of my stuff away. People expect to pay £20 for a good quality second hand rugs that have been washed and waterproof, leaving you with a couple of quid... For me it was far too much effort than it was worth, just pennies here and there as horse people tend to want to not pay a lot for second hand items. At least if you sell things on Facebook you don't get slammed with Ebay (and paypal if pay by cash on collection) costs.

chaps89

Visit site
I think it's really going to irritate me selling it all, mostly because I can never find the same bargains when I'm looking for stuff so I end up buying new anyway ? all the rugs are washed and proofed now anyway, they're all good brands like rhino or weatherbeeta so I'll be very gutted if the most I can get is £20 but it'll be what it'll be I suppose!

chaps89

Visit site
I'm pretty sure rhino wug half neck in a purple check, 5ft9 mediumweight. That one has got a repair (never lend things out I learnt!) But is otherwise good condition.
I think I also have a rhino standard neck no fill in either 6ft or 6ft 3 which was only worn a handful of times ever.
Possibly a mw/hw navy one as well in similar size.
The last 2 are up at mum's in shrops hence being vague on size, the purple one is here with me.