Is there a market for older horses

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
As the title says really. I don't mean a 25yr old, but say a 16/17yr old? I tried to return my loan horse and I've ended up owning him as his owner was going to PTS, he's fit, healthy, currently in full work jumping 1m -1.10 at home, doing prelim dressage etc... So my question... Don't people want these been there done that types?

TheLankyRider

Visit site
I don't think I would even call a 16/17 year particularly old. Plenty of horses still compete (maybe not at the top level) at that age and still have a lot to give. When I finally have enough money to move on from sharing, i would definitely consider looking at a horse this age if not a bit older!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I didn't, but the 1 that suited me best was 17, been there done that type and now has a home for life.
My reasoning is that i could have any age, but it could have problems (accident , injury, illness or schooling probs) that might stop me riding, so age was no problem if the horse can do the job :)

Evie91

Visit site
I took my horse on loan when she was 16, she was later gifted to me. Is 23 now and retired.
If I were to get another I wouldn't want one over ten. Although saying that horses can go 'wrong' at any age, same as people I guess! So could still end up with a field ornament just much younger!

madmav

Visit site
I've shared an almost 25 year old since he was 17. Still, touch wood, as fit as a flea. Jumps, hacks, dressage tests. Probably worked more than any horse on yard, which helps keep him fit and active. I would certainly take on a 17 year old. Older riders, like me, often prefer one that's seen and done it. And there are no guarantees re health and soundness by getting a younger one. Years ago, shared a 6 year old. He was sadly put to sleep aged 10.

Luci07

Visit site
I wouldn't but that judgment is coloured by the fact I am still paying retirement (stabled) livery for a very healthy 27 year old mare who has been retired properly for 3 years and stopped eventing with me over 9 years ago!

JJS

Visit site
My first horse was gifted to me when she was 16 and we got the little Welsh at 17. My first loan horse was also 16, as was the gelding I had on loan for a year. All were fit and healthy and never had any problems in the time that I had them. I loved the fact that wherever we went, they'd already seen everything. Clipping, shoeing and all of those other little things were no problem at all, because they knew what to do. I lost my mare this year at 19, but I think that she was the fittest and healthiest she'd ever been. My little Welsh is also doing great at 20. The green 6 year old is a whole different kettle of fish. There's an awful lot more work and responsibility involved in caring for him and turning him into a respectable citizen. Based on my experiences, I think that most first time owners, novices and those looking for an easier life should be actively encouraged to get a 'been there, done that' type - otherwise, it often ends up, at least with the two former examples, being a case of the blind leading the blind.

bakewell

Visit site
Most of my horses have been purchased either side of the 4-15 window for economic reasons. I'd definitely buy an older one. Esp (not so relevant to this) if I was after a broodmare and I could get the pedigree I wanted for a more reasonable price.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I was gifted a 15 year old horse who I still have and is still going strong at 28.
Safe laid back horses are worth a fortune.

Sheep

Visit site
I'd say so. My boy was 16 when I bought him - there is no way I could have afforded him if he was aged 4 - 12; unfortunately he has a few issues now but we are working on sorting them! He is a really super character and a fantastic all rounder with a wonderful temperament.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wouldn't but that judgment is coloured by the fact I am still paying retirement (stabled) livery for a very healthy 27 year old mare who has been retired properly for 3 years and stopped eventing with me over 9 years ago!

That's lovely! I did the same, My old boy eventually went down to colic aged about 38. I had retired him but brought him back into very light walk hacks and he was loving it! You will never regret it :)

Gasper

Visit site
I've had my boy for two years now and he's 21 . Still behaves like a 2 year old at times but according to the vet and physio he's got years of active work left in him. My teenage daughter is having some fun on him now too , despite professing he was boring when I bought him.

ridefast

Visit site
If I could I'd love another been there done that type. Since most of my riding is on young green horses it's so nice to get on a been there done that, got the t-shirt but can still manage a few more type :)

skint1

Visit site
I bought my horse when she was 16, she is nearly 19 now. I am a happy hacker and not very confident so to me an older horse who is steady and patient and ready for a quiet life is ideal.