Is there a rug that is actually waterproof?

Elgar93

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone this is really helpful. I'm going to treat him to the weatherbeeta with liners for now. If a 0g Rambo came up in the black Friday sales I would probably be tempted to grab one too to have a spare waterproof layers in case the weatherbeeta ever succumbs but Im struggling with the price on that a bit!!

HorseMaid

Visit site
My horse has got a 50g Hy StormX turnout which is 600D, a 200g Shires combo that is 600d, and cheap off Ebay 1680d heavyweight combo (I think the brand is Chonma, I think it's generic "made in China"). All going into their third winters and don't leak, never been washed. I think washing kills them.

Starzaan

Visit site
Thanks everyone this is really helpful. I'm going to treat him to the weatherbeeta with liners for now. If a 0g Rambo came up in the black Friday sales I would probably be tempted to grab one too to have a spare waterproof layers in case the weatherbeeta ever succumbs but Im struggling with the price on that a bit!!
Just make sure you go for either Premier or Ultra with WB. (Ex WB account manager here). Those are the ones with the highest level of waterproofness. Also all WB turnout rugs have three year warranty on waterproofing, breathability and fixtures and fittings, so keep your receipt and register your warranty card!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
My Derby House no fill rug is surprisingly waterproof for £30-ish.

The Swish so far seem to be waterproof and reasonably priced so far!

Chappie

Visit site
Might be worth looking at the Gallop Trojan Xtra range - I've only used my 1200d 100g combos last winter so far so can't give a full report, but I am far north and the daily turnout field is exposed on three sides... I've bought a 200g as well, hope I don't need it to be honest! Seem pretty sturdily made. They sometimes come up on second-hand sites online in good condition, quite reasonably priced. I'm always on the lookout for them for the riding school ponies at the yard who live out, 600d just doesn't cope up here.

Chianti

Visit site
hi i use ruggles i bought 2 no fill and they leaked terribly waste of money, but my 50g and upwards have worked in all weathers incl Beast of the East, maybe it was a bad batch of fabric…….

I bought a new, unlined rug from Ruggles and it leaked very badly. I contacted them and they replaced it with no argument. They even offered me a 50gm as replacement instead.

irishdraft

Visit site
My horses which live out are in various bridleway rugs, a couple of which are about 6/7 years old and are still waterproof. Have to say I'm another who never washes turnouts. My mare has been out in a 100g in all the recent torrential rain and is dry & warm.

Elgar93

New User
Visit site
Just make sure you go for either Premier or Ultra with WB. (Ex WB account manager here). Those are the ones with the highest level of waterproofness. Also all WB turnout rugs have three year warranty on waterproofing, breathability and fixtures and fittings, so keep your receipt and register your warranty card!

I'm going for the ultratough so that's good to know! I also didn't know about the receipt/warranty so will definitely keep that safe thanks!