Is there ANYTHING that actually gets rid of fleas?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my vet does not stock front line now as he says it is not effective. this is the dog one. my dogs have had fleas for the first time this year (aged 10 & 8) so i think it must be a particularly bad year for fleas. prob best to get something from your vet which may be a bit stronger than over the counter.

Mrs B

Visit site
We eradicated fleas with Program. It sterilises the fleas and eventually the population dies out. Of course, they can pick them up from other cats etc but we have been pretty much a flea-free household for 10 years. It's not instant, of course, to you might want to keep up with the spray etc until it kicks in.

ThreeTB's

Visit site
You need to spray the house with a good spray like Indorex or RIP Fleas, otherwise the animals will keep being reinfested. My mother's house was horrendous (she had dementia and let things get out of hand) but we eradicated the fleas by treating the cat and spraying the house. You have to be really thorough if it's bad - her house had been empty for months when we went to clear out the cupboard under the stairs and out came more of the little blighters! Good stuff isn't cheap, but buying supermarket products is just a waste of money.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry not a contribution but more an observation: I just switched on TV the other day and there was this "RSPCA in Australia" programme, and this poor dog literally covered head to toe in fleas, it was awful - and they gave it this stuff they squirted down its throat, and within a short time (20 mins or so) all the fleas were dropping off dead!!

It was fantastic stuff! - but probably due to our regs here in the UK/Europe I guess we cannot buy/use it here, not even the vets????

Which is a huge pity, coz by jiminy this stuff actually WORKED.

CLM

Visit site
The only effective treatments are from the vet. Advocate and stronghold both work. You will also need to spray the house.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yuk. A flea just jumped off the cat and onto me. I cannot keep up with them this year. Off to the vets tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to put cow bells on the cats too to stop them catching all the wild animals that they get them from.

Emma_H

Visit site
I swear by Program, I have my cat done by injection every six months.
Not only does it work to eradicate fleas but they also get a six monthly health check.

_GG_

Visit site
Stronghold was the only thing that worked for my dad. We are lucky as they just don't seem to like us or our dogs but I'd honestly say, if it's really that bad, I would get professionals in to sort the house while I treated the cat and stayed with a friend for a couple of days.

Umbongo

Visit site
Flea products you can buy in the supermarket/pet stores just do not work. Go to your vets for a better product.
Spray the house/spot furnishings with acclaim/indorex/RIP fleas.

Moomin1

Visit site
Stronghold was the only thing that worked for my dad. We are lucky as they just don't seem to like us or our dogs but I'd honestly say, if it's really that bad, I would get professionals in to sort the house while I treated the cat and stayed with a friend for a couple of days.

Your dad had fleas??

Bubbles

Visit site
Ahhh I feel your pain, few years ago my three persians were riddled.....
Advocate worked on ours, coupled with the RIP flea spray for the house, and daily hoovering. For short term relief you can get capstar tablets from your vets, the fleas drop off in an hour or two. You can buy the same tablets over the counter, they're under the Johnson brand, can't remember what they're called.
Do not use anything Bob Martin, seriously nasty horror stories all over the net...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I've tried front line , Bob Martin flea pills , spray , carpet powder but I'm still being eaten alive ...Grrrrrr

Yes try these recommended to me after our house was bombed 3 times with flea bombs us eaten alive as well as cats.

drops on the neck did not work you should be the pills not the drops

within 1 hour cats will scratch more as fleas die and you will find fleas just falling off dying amazing

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Pr...XhMVYXoejZFt2-lYfU96LIsqdAD8HFY2avRoCQIjw_wcB

Last edited:

Jay89

Visit site
The stuff you buy over the counter is seriously not worth wasting your money on! Get something from the vets and give your house a good Hoover and indorex spray the house, may need to do this a few times to break the cycle! Good luck, they are horrible things!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The stuff you buy over the counter is seriously not worth wasting your money on! Get something from the vets and give your house a good Hoover and indorex spray the house, may need to do this a few times to break the cycle! Good luck, they are horrible things!

disagree as I said johnson flea tablets work I witnessed them on my cats the fleas started falling off.

Coblover63

Visit site
You can phone the council and they will come round and spray your house. That works. It used to be free but they may charge these days. If you catch them on you, put them into a pot of water that has a squirt of washing up liquid in it, that kills them. You can then show the pot to the man from the council.

The expensive spray from the vet's works too but you may need more than one tin to do the whole house.