Is there anywhere who takes

FairyLights

Visit site
horses with allergies. I have a 5 yr old with swet itch. I dont want him and neither does anyone else! I was thinking bloodbank or somewhere like that, veterinary research pleace to investigate the allergies?

PorkChop

Visit site
Can't help with information on the bloodbank - is the sweet itch his only issue? I am surprised you can't find him a home, lots of horses have sweet itch, there is so much that can be done for them now.

pippixox

Visit site
I agree it can be treated and depends where they live. I would not want them where I am as we have fields by a river that get very midgey. But with a good rug, sprays and creams, I know quite a few horses and ponies who are absolutely fine with good rugs. If everything else is ok, why would you or someone else not want them?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I cant believe you are saying you dont want him because of sweet itch, have you tried to manage it with a rug or medication from the vet? If you have and the horse is sufffering badly have it pts why pass him on and let him continue to be uncomfortable, it seems that these days giving away or giving to the blood bank is an easy cop out.

WelshD

Visit site
Even if the bloodbank will take them I cant see that being a good life for a sweet itch horse, they wont rug their horses and with the natural shelter these places tend to have I would imagine that the poor sod will be scratching and damaging himself

FairyLights

Visit site
Its not the SI I want to get out of horses sell up and get on with other life. I dont want any horse anymore. This one has SI and no body is willing to take him . He had Boett rug and creams and lotions. I can manage it I just dont want to be a horse owner anymore and this one I cant sell or give away it seems.

Last edited:

Yuki1290

Visit site
You sound as if you're going though a difficult phase OP.
I can't see why nobody would take him, if he's healthy/sane otherwise. As far as I know, blood banks only take 'big' horses - 16h and over. Can't you tell us a bit more about him? It's difficult to suggest anything with such limited infromation.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
If sweet itch is the only issue then there is no reason why you can sell him.
Even if you have to take him so a sale (something Id never do) or send him to a professional to be schooled and sold on
Where are you advertising?
Maybe advice on the advent itself?

FairyLights

Visit site
Thanks all for your positive comments. It doesnt help that I'm not very well at the moment, its a chronic life long thing, and having family issues too. I cant say anymore about the horse on here as I got reported a short while ago for advertising I wasnt I was trying to find out if anyone would buy a horse with SI and after putting up a few details in response to questions I got an infarction. Thank you button pushers. I have advertised him in H&H but got little response and they were novices and I thougt unsuitable.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Sorry to hear that life isn't treating you too well FairyLights. I hope you manage to find a home for your boy, if I had the space and time for a youngster I would have him. P has SI so I'm well used to managing the condition, it's not as onerous as some people seem to think if you put a bit of effort in - but then you know that, it's just persuading other people!

Please don't leave the forum, even if you do give up horses, your posts are always a good read and you have so much experience that the rest of us can draw on.

Best wishes :)

Molly'sMama

Visit site
Blood banks are over subscribed- v few spaces- and will either return the horse to the owner, or put the horse down once it's 15. Just to chip in.

madlady

Visit site
Just a thought OP and you may have already tried but do you have a local (decent) RDA/RS - they might take him. On the plus side he would probably then be stabled during the day which would be better for his SI.

Hope you find somewhere for him.

xch4r

Visit site
Have you tried putting him on preloved and on the facebook sites? If not you could always take him to auction, not ideal, but if you have no other options and need him gone ASAP, then may be worth it?