Is there such a thing as an effective fly repellent for humans?

Griffin

Visit site
I take garlic capsules year round now and I don't get bitten anywhere near as much as I used to. Garlic capsules are not very expensive and definitely worth a go.

Esmae

Visit site
Yesterday evening I acquired my first 2 horse fly bites. I am apparently an irresistible snack. I have tried all sorts, citronella bands, covering myself in various sprays, but with no luck.
Last year at its worst my husband counted 32 on my body at one time. It was horrible and after visiting a pharmacy to buy more anti histamines they sent me to the doctors who then sent me to hospital because they were concerned about the reaction I was having (I puffed up like a puffa fish 🤕).

I would love to find something that can put them off me! Please help 😩 I'm dreading going to the yard today knowing I'm going to be eaten alive.

They like me as well and I have dreadful reactions to them I haven't found anything smelly that works unfortunately. I just cover up which gets a bit hot, but I'd rather be hot than bitten.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm suffering today from horsefly bites. They were lethal today, pony was getting really cross and both of us got badly bitten. Fly spray had made no difference. Any more ideas?

holeymoley

Visit site
I suffer from cellulitis from horsefly bites. Theyre really is nothing that prevents. While riding I carry a pocket size fly spray and skoosh horse and I every now and again. Once you're bitten I wash with a swab of Dettol/ TCP / Hibiscrub, and if you can, obtain a cortisone cream from the doctor. This all prevented a very angry one becoming cellulitis last week.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I use icaridin which I buy from https://www.hedgewitchessentials.co.uk/onlineshop/icaridin-insect-repellent.html .
Icaridin is safe for people and animals, I use on horses too.
I also use Avon Skin So Soft on me - its safe for horses but is a bit pricey.
I'm not keen on the more toxic products, they can make me feel quite ill - even on another horses
I'm not sure either work against horses flies as others have said they hunt by site so the 'zebra rug' and clothes is your best defence.
Also take anti-histamines daily, don't wait until you have been bitten,