is there such a thing as 'an unbreakable horse'?

princestar

Visit site
As most of you will have seen in previous posts - I am sending my horse to be back this weekend!!

One reason or another but I am so worried I'll get a call to say he is untrainable and unridable and for me to go collect him... So much so I am dreaming about him at night.

I can imagine us hacking out in the summer with my friend and her pony; but he is very nervous and worried about the backing process (had teeth and eyes and back checked - all good to go) think he may have had a previously bad experience.

I am a bit worried, probably being silly but do you have any experiences of 'difficult' horses.

Thank You :)

kirstykate

Visit site
Yes there is the odd one but they normally have a physical problem, just make sure the person you are using can do problem horses if not they will do more harm than good. Good luck:)

ajf

Visit site
As KK said just tell the person you are sending him too that he is nervous and they (if they are any good) will take their time and be patient with him. It will probably take longer but it's better than causing more problems and having to start again!

Am sure he will be fine :)

BBH

Visit site
Difficult yes.

Had a WB who was sent away to be backed and he was a pig from day one, bolshy, opinionated and that awful combination of laziness but sharp. Not unusual for a young WB. He was very nappy, would rear if you tried to move him on, had horrendous temper tantrums and on the rare occasions he worked he would work really well but then it was like a switch in his brain that just went and you couldn't do a thing with him.

He was professionally backed but deemed un-rideable. Trainer hated him and I couldn't blame him. I kept him for 6 yrs hoping with age he'd turn a corner but sadly it turned out he had a brain tumour and was PTS.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that its very rare to have one that won't be backed but if you encounter real problems have a complete workthrough to see whats wrong as it may be physical.

Zerotolerance

Visit site
I thought this are you using Jason Webb by any chance ??

I was rather hoping OP was. I sent one to Jason for re-schooling and he did a great job. Had previously sent a different one to someone else in the south east for breaking and they did a rubbish job - it was clear that they really couldn't deal with anything that wasn't 100% straightforward. Wish I'd know of Jason sooner!

Tinks81

Visit site
I was rather hoping OP was. I sent one to Jason for re-schooling and he did a great job. Had previously sent a different one to someone else in the south east for breaking and they did a rubbish job - it was clear that they really couldn't deal with anything that wasn't 100% straightforward. Wish I'd know of Jason sooner!

jason broke one of mine and also sorted out a mounting issue with a naughty mare for me - he is fantastic !!

but is very expensive now i must say x

Limbo-the day-

Visit site
As long as the horse is physically sound in every way i don't just mean trots up sound-no I don't think there is an unbreakable horse. I had a WB for 3 years got him at 3 and was the most dangerous thing I have ever dealt with. 3years later, determination and patience ( and time and money for tuition) was sold on to a BD home and is actUally featured alot on HHO!!

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
The are Unbreakable ones......they either have physical issues or have been ruined by people!!
As for it costing alot of money.......why cut corners when you only want to break them once!! But IMHO breaking horses is the easy bit(worked for summer on big breaking yard) its the first 6months after that, that make or break the horse.

princestar

Visit site
Hi

Thanks for all the replies everyone :) no unfortunately I'd love to send him to Jason Webb but £275 starting + any of the extras is not within my budget (if had the money I would haha) he's going to someone used by a couple of friends, she's local to me, not well known but quiet and confident.

Denny has been completly checked over - he is just very strong willed but nervous at the same time (things he knows and is used to - he will try his luck, things he hasn't been exposed to or seen he can be nervous), which will be the thing that she will have to be firm with - not letting him get away with things.

I've been in touch for a couple of months, he's had a space waiting - she wouldn't take him sooner (I had her out to asses him and I was worried about his freezemark not being ready) and she wouldn't take him for at least 6 weeks as we agreed to allow the freezemark to fully heal (not that I would have as I was worried about it) but any other unsuitable trainer would have thought of the money rather than his well being.

Denny has had his back, teeth and general health checked and he is sound, feet trimmed regularly etc.

So he's off on Saturday... Bit excited but also worried.

Oh guys, what shall I send him with, eg rugs, saddle, boots, etc. I want to send him with his lickits (as he isn't used to being in every night - only occassionally but he will have turnout) so he can be a bit entertained as I don't want him getting any stable vices. Anything else you'd send with?