Is there such a thing as buying a ...

MrShorey

New User
Visit site
I have no horse knowledge or experience, My partner has been riding since she was a little girl and i would love to pay for her to ride a well established/expensive horse. Basically like me taking a Ferrari out for an hour but in horse terms ha-ha. Does this even exist?

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
I have no horse knowledge or experience, My partner has been riding since she was a little girl and i would love to pay for her to ride a well established/expensive horse. Basically like me taking a Ferrari out for an hour but in horse terms ha-ha. Does this even exist?

Where abouts do you live OP?

oldie48

Visit site
Talland also do lessons on schoolmasters but you'd need to be clear about the level she's riding at when yu book, i think. the cotswolds is also a lovely place to spend a couple of days.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
Ok I was going to suggest Contessa in Hertfordshire, they have some nice advanced horses and a good instructor, however you do have to have an assessment lesson on a school horse prior to riding these horses so if you had to travel a long way this may not work... Lovely thing to be doing for her though :)

timefort

Visit site
I'm not sure if it would appeal, but what about booking a lesson for her on a mechanical horse? I've not tried one myself but have heard friends rave about their lessons, and the "horse" can be programmed to be as advanced or "quirky" as she's interested in.

I'm another one who thinks this is a lovely idea. I hope she enjoys whatever you book...

pixie

Visit site
Do you know what sort of riding that she does? Does she mostly hack or is she into dressage or showjumping? Do you know if there is anything that she would particularly like to brush up on? Would she perhaps be interested in something like lessons with May Wanless http://www.mary-wanless.com/ ?
Or perhaps she would like to go trail riding somewhere where you could join in too?

pinkypug1

Visit site
If u want a nice weekend away head to castle Leslie in Ireland. She will get to ride around a great x country course and have lessons with great instructors while u either play golf or fish or take part in other outdoor activities. Also a beautiful spa for relaxing after a hard day in the saddle and the accommodation is stunning. It makes for a great weekend away :)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
If u want a nice weekend away head to castle Leslie in Ireland. She will get to ride around a great x country course and have lessons with great instructors while u either play golf or fish or take part in other outdoor activities. Also a beautiful spa for relaxing after a hard day in the saddle and the accommodation is stunning. It makes for a great weekend away :)

It is absolutely stunning.

conniegirl

Visit site
Would avoid contessa like the plague! When I went there for an assessment ride they put me on a god awful pony that was beyond school sour.
I have an electric bum and very strong legs, I can ride a good medium level test, break my own youngsters and compete on them to a decent level!
I could NOT get that thing out of a walk, in the end the instructor got on with massive great big spurs and practically beat the horse black and blue to get it into a trot! (She failed to achieve canter) Also had to share the school with 2 kiddies group lessons.
It was an absolute farce, and I probably spent all of 15 mins out of my 45 min lesson on the horse. No apologies or offers of something different to try!
Very very unhappy, I out grew the need for the rib breaking kick when I was 8 yrs old! I learnt nothing from the lesson and have never been back!

MrShorey

New User
Visit site
Would avoid contessa like the plague! When I went there for an assessment ride they put me on a god awful pony that was beyond school sour.
I have an electric bum and very strong legs, I can ride a good medium level test, break my own youngsters and compete on them to a decent level!
I could NOT get that thing out of a walk, in the end the instructor got on with massive great big spurs and practically beat the horse black and blue to get it into a trot! (She failed to achieve canter) Also had to share the school with 2 kiddies group lessons.
It was an absolute farce, and I probably spent all of 15 mins out of my 45 min lesson on the horse. No apologies or offers of something different to try!
Very very unhappy, I out grew the need for the rib breaking kick when I was 8 yrs old! I learnt nothing from the lesson and have never been back!

Blimey, thanks for info.

hcm88

Visit site
Ring Talland up and let them know what you're looking for and her level of riding. Book a schoolmaster with a senior instructor (you have to pay a lot more for the privilege but its worth it). They are based nr Cirencester in Gloucestershire which shouldn't be too far from you for a day visit but if I were you I would book a B&B in the area for a weekend and make the most of it, its lovely around here. Any qs feel free to ask me.