Is this a bit mean? considering the time of year!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Over summer i clipped my ponies chest off completely in a last ditch attempt to stop him being to unphased by the electric fencing, its only battery so not overly strong. This worked brilliantly however now its coming up to winter and getting colder im a little hesitant to suddenly remove a load of hair!

edited as i evidently lost concentration and posted without finishing my sentence, bit of a worry!!

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This is what i figured, however what are the bets It will be the very next day that winter starts! Bit like going out with shorts on, sure guarantee of rain ;)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Well here it was about 18 degrees here this evening so not particularly cold. The Horse next to mine has got through the electric fencing 5 times in the last week. They’ve put in 5 strands of tape and extra posts in. Noticed he had a bib and belly clip done today and no rug. He’s more than well covered so I doubt he’ll be cold.

little_critter

Visit site
My retired girl will be clipped at the weekend. Last winter I started off with a neck and belly clip but extended it to a very low trace clip when she was still getting too warm through October. She was un rugged until it got to about -3 (and even then it was probably just me being soft)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You can get rugs which are specially designed so they'll actually feel the shock from leccy fencing! Can't remember the name of them, perhaps someone here will know??

OR, you could fix up something yourself using leccy fence wire wrapped around the front of the rug area; it looked a bit of a dogs-dinner when I did it, but it seemed to do the trick. Hilariously, there was an electrician working here at my yard at the time, I'd just dragged horse up all Electrified and (not thinking) asked the Sparky "what do you think of this then, will this make sure he get an electric shock??". His face was a picture...... he went away shaking his head, probably thinking oh dear that poooorr horse there and they're doing that to it...... :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mines fully clipped and out unrugged. Shes more than warm enough. She only has a rug when its wet. The rest of the time shes in a sheltered field with grass and hay so constant forage, and I've found she doesnt need one

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think I’m just going to do it. He’s a Shetland so unless we have really extreme or prolonged horrible weather he never gets rugged.

Reactions: DD