Is this a good idea....or not?

YummyHorses

Visit site
Thinking of breeding from my long backed, heavily framed Belgium Warmblood 16.3h tank of a mare with a Anglo Arab 14.2h showjumping stallion.

I am wanting a more refined, compact, agile, 16h ish showjumper...........do you think I would get it?

I am new to breeding and still asking all the silly questions so please dont laugh.....

Ta x

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
No, I don't think it's a good idea. If you want something more refined and agile which CAN jump I think you should use a deer, then you can create a new designer breed (but you do have to come up with a good name, something like Belgium Deerblood maybe?) and become a millionaire!

Durham

Visit site
As with humans, you do not necessarily get the best of both sire and dam when you breed and the first question to consider is whether your mare has qualities you want to pass on - is she a great jumper herself, does she have really good paces or a wonderful, trainable character? Your description of her does not sound very promising and, particularly when so many horses are unwanted and have an uncertain future because of the economic climate, it is only worth breeding from the best mares, as their lineage and ability is just as significant as the stallion's. Their character also has an impact on the foal, as they influence its early behaviour. Breeding your own foal costs more than buying on the whole, unless it gives you an opportunity to use the very best sire and/or dam. The advantage, on the other hand is that, if you are experienced enough, you can influence the foal's development and behaviour, whereas so many riding horses have been spoilt by incompetent or rough handling and this takes ages to fix. I hope this helps.

YummyHorses

Visit site
Thanks but not thanks FrodoBeutlin.

Durham - she certainly has qualities to pass on. She is a very good showjumper, intelligent, agile for her size and kind hearted. She is just large framed and in turn a very big 16.3hh and I am really not wanting to get something of her size if I breed from her.

I was at a well respected stud farm today and they suggested a particular stallion who I happen to know and it got me wondering. I was just unsure what the combination might bring and was looking for guidance (helpful guidance if possible).

The stallion is very well respected, great little chap.

Just am a little concerned that I wouldnt get the height from him.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
I am really sorry, it's just the way you described her..'tank of a mare' etc - you should only breed from outstanding horses (there are enough horses being bred as it is!), from your OP it really did not seem worth breeding from her at all.

YummyHorses

Visit site
I was just being honest in that she is built a bit like a tank. But she is of quality.

I find her a little difficult to hold together being so long and big - and me being a little short of leg! I am wanting something a little more refined and not so huge! so wanted to consider the option.

Some of the top showjumping stallions are of a similar size to my mare so I have assumed that I would breed something a similar size.

Durham

Visit site
Height is really difficult to predict - you should look at height on both sides of the pedigree to get a reasonable idea and also ask the stud what size progeny the Anglo-Arab throws. If he comes from a long line of animals around 14.2 you might end up with something around 15.2 or 3. If he is just small himself, but has taller ancestors, you may get something a bit taller. Why don't you look around some more? There are some really smashing eventing and jumping sires around. If you are keen on Anglo-Arabs - and they, like thoroughbreds, are classic for ccrossing with heavier horses - the Biddesden Stud have the lovely Persiflage, an 8 year old by Primitive Rising - 16.2 hands. Or there are some excellent Selle Francais stallions about and they tend to be on the lighter side.

Yorketown

Visit site
I have a 15.3hh BWP mare who is also very solid and, dare I say, a little coarse but she is a good clean, careful jumper. I have been told both the coarse look and jumping traits come from her Dams sire Darco so have to be careful what stallion I put her to if I want progeny who still jump but look a little more refined! I have to admit I would not put my chunky monkey to a Anglo Arab unless I knew a lot about the stallions sire & dam as these can still contribute a lot of traits to your mares offspring!! I think I would prefer to use a jumping thoroughbred or a small showjumper who is also known for throwing compact little jumpers (Flipper D'elle maybe). Also, check the stallion you are going to use is eligible with the studbook you are planning to use.