Is this a natural plait?

molliemaid

New User
Visit site
untitled.jpg

Anyone else getting plaits like this in their horses mane. I have heard all sorts of stories and dont believe that someone is marking my horse to be stolen, but never seen plaits like it before happen naturally in an otherwise straight mane. Witches? or weather?

floradora09

Visit site
Hmm, I'm no expert on this subject atall, but it looks a little too 'natural' to be done by a potential thief? I mean, surely all they would want to do is a bog-standard plait to mark a horse, and not bother weaving and twisting it about so much? No idea! Sorry, anything is possible! I'd try not to worry and just make sure your security is up to scratch and keep and eye
laugh.gif
xx

ellieplatt

Visit site
these kind of things really scare me, i had a sec D who had a very long mane for a long time, and lived out in all weathers one winter - her main was never like that?

I'm not saying someones marked your horse, - take the plait out trim her main(or pull it) and see how things go..

Also make sure its not possible for someone to open any gates/ get into ur main yard at night when no ones around
smile.gif

_HP_

Visit site
That is totally a wind plait. My little welshie gets them all the time through winter
cool.gif

Like these:
121220094771.jpg

121220094767.jpg

When you see pictures of neglected horses with thier manes all matted...well thats how they start...with a small 'plait'. If you leave it long enough more will add to it and you will end up with a huge mass of knotted mane.
I have had my pony 11yrs now and she gets them every winter
smile.gif

monkeybum13

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That is totally a wind plait. My little welshie gets them all the time through winter
cool.gif

Like these:
121220094771.jpg

121220094767.jpg

When you see pictures of neglected horses with thier manes all matted...well thats how they start...with a small 'plait'. If you leave it long enough more will add to it and you will end up with a huge mass of knotted mane.
I have had my pony 11yrs now and she gets them every winter
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

See to me that looks totally different to the original photo posted. My old grey welshie used to get the "wind plaits" that your grey does.

teddyt

Visit site
Agree, it looks like a wind plait. i remove one from my pony this morning and it took me ages it was so twisted. It just popped up over night! looked just like the photo in the op

LauraWinter

Visit site
Looks exactly like the ones my arab gets all the time- think it depends on thickness of mane as well as length how their 'wind plaits' look. Don't worry!

Kallibear

Visit site
I've been pulling 3 or 4 out of my pony's very long mane (2.5ft +) each week. He never got them last year so his mane is obviously just got to the right length. My friend fell pony has an unbeliveable mane (a good 3ft) but is much thicker and heavier and doesn't get witches tails like that.