Is this advert ok in your opinion?

Irish_horse

Visit site
15.2hh 12yr old (1995) bay gelding

Suitable Riding Club horse. Has sj, xc, hunted, pc activities.
Hacks alone or in company. Good in traffic. Responsive, sensible ride.
Snaffle mouth. For sale as rider at university. Fully vetted.
€4250 (£2800) inc. tack and rugs.

Would this advert appeal to you? Is the price reasonable? He has fairly 'low milage' but jumps 1.20m happily. In a nutshell honest straightforward little horse that someone should have alot of fun with i hope. I'll have two photos with it, one jumping, one on the flat. Just so you know, this is what he looks like, not photos ill be using though, theres a smallish but wide hurdle in the field so will take a photo of him over that and some more recent pictures of him on the flat..

352633861a431364306b164942994l.jpg

352633861a431364062b179277132l.jpg

352633861a3190045089b7452083l.jpg

last summer..
352633861a1727252247b669035959l.jpg

Irishcobs

Visit site
I would add that is jumps 1.20 and a few things he has done, like comps.

Price sounds very good considering the prices of horses nowadays.

pixie

Visit site
It seems a reasonable price. In the flat pic he looks a bit downhill and in the jumping it would be nice seeing him jump1m20 if he can, but these don't really matter that much with a pricetag like that.

Hornby

Visit site
Sorry - what does "fully vetted" mean in your ad....if I was a buyer I would wonder what this meant...unless it's a dealer who vets so the horse has a certificate with him (some do) I would guess that it means it has been vetted recenly but had a problem (sure this is not what you mean...!)

Clodagh

Visit site
Hes gorgeous!
If using a flatwork would try to get him looking a little less downhill, but he looks and sounds great, fingers crossed for finding him a lovely home.
smile.gif

WeeBrown

Visit site
He looks really nice and I could easily fall for that last photo. I'd buy him if a) my husband wasn't so tall (I need a 16hh-16.1hh) and b) he was nearer to me.
Advert sounds fine, I've read plenty recently. Price is cheap (but I've not been looking at horses in ireland) but this seems to be related to the fact you are at uni and need a sale.

samsaccount

Visit site
Sounds a very nice horse and the ad is good, but i would be more attracted to the ad if you had mentioned the height he jumps, and a picture of that. Also if he is good to shoe/lead/in the stable/etc.

If only I had the money and the time I would be very interested in him.

Zebedee, yes it is what she is looking for, or at least something very similar!

Irish_horse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry - what does "fully vetted" mean in your ad....if I was a buyer I would wonder what this meant...unless it's a dealer who vets so the horse has a certificate with him (some do) I would guess that it means it has been vetted recenly but had a problem (sure this is not what you mean...!)

[/ QUOTE ]
My old sharer was originally all set to buy him however she ended up buying a 7yr old 16.2hh TB mare about 2 days after i'd had him vetted
confused.gif
i believe the fact he was almost 12 (late last year) at the time and not a mare, bothered her, but what can you do. Anyway took him to be vetted, he did everything - flexion tests, etc. vet said he was perfect apart from a very slight whistle on one rein, scoped him which showed a slight asymmetry of one side of his larynx, however he said it won't affect him at all unless he were a racehorse for example, so it doesn't really come into play and passed him fit for hunting, riding club activities, etc. so i'll have that to show people anyway and they can phone the vet up if they wish. Is there a better term i should use perhaps?

Irish_horse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does he load OK should mention it ,but ,the ad seems fine to me!!.......and shoe!

[/ QUOTE ]
I can generally load him by myself into a trailer, think he prefers lorries but other people sometimes have to have someone behind him clicking him on. Once he can see out the front ramp its a rarely an issue, ive never been unable to load him.

Hes very easy to catch, walks upto me when he sees me, but doubt he'd walk upto a stranger, just a matter of him becoming familiar with you, after 3/4 days my sharer had him trotting upto her in the field.

He's good to shoe and easy to lead/handle.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You could do with adding, jumps 1.20cm ( idealy with a photo of him jumping that kind of height). Good to catch, shoe, clip, load, teeth, No Vices, etc, of course only if he is.
smile.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
The ad is fine, but personally, I would go into a little more detail.

You've just said that he is 'low mileage', 'jumps 1.20m happily', and is an 'honest straightforward little horse that someone should have alot of fun with'. Definitely put all that in.

Also add details about handling, catching, shoeing, loading etc.

I think he's lovely, and at that price, should sell pretty easily.
smile.gif

Hornby

Visit site
hmm, understand about the "fully vetted" now you have explained but may be too complicated to put in an ad without raising suspicions....I would mention the full story as you have here if someone rings who is interested. As others have suggested more to add to it I (personally) don't think the ad would lose from omitting it. (I would also PM CastleMouse - I believe she is hunting today so may be too tired to log on but seems just her sort....) and I agree, love the last pic. Good luck!

X

xspiralx

Hmm well I agree about putting the height in, but would he be able to do courses at that level? I mean I jumped 4ft9 on Paris once but I didn't put that in the ad - she couldn't do courses of it.

I definitely would mention height, but I would put something along the lines of "competing 3ft6, schooling 4ft at home" [or whatever height it is]

Irish_horse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm well I agree about putting the height in, but would he be able to do courses at that level? I mean I jumped 4ft9 on Paris once but I didn't put that in the ad - she couldn't do courses of it.

I definitely would mention height, but I would put something along the lines of "competing 3ft6, schooling 4ft at home" [or whatever height it is]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. He's capable of jumping a 1.30m course, which i jumped him round at a yard up in the midlands that holds a show each summer, when it was all set up before the actual comp, as was working there for 2 weeks, proper distances and heights etc. just the look of the fences had me frozen in terror and he sailed round with me in total passenger mode. At this point in time he isn't fit enough for that and to be honest i don't think he'd be a showjumper, he's probably not fast enough, a bit on the small side and he hasn't competed SJAI, we jump at home/hunting/odd show unregistered, so don't imagine serious level sj type will look to buy him. He hunted in sept/nov and has been pretty much back to light hacking/schooling due t lack of time. Im not the bravest of riders so im happy to stick 1m - 1.20m max, though he's loose-jumped 1.50m so he's capable enough. Out hunting he'll jump pretty much anything and my sharer said he took on a jump the masters horse refused so while im not writing that in the ad, lol, long story short i know he's brave and honest enough for me to be confident in what i do say. I think i'll put a photo of him over 1.20m in the ad and let the person try him for themselves rather than go into detail?

Butterbean

Visit site
Wouldn't put anything about vetting other than something like "any vetting welcome" - I always think it looks odd when ad says "recently passed 5 stage vetting" - to me it implies the vendor doesn't want it vetted again - and I'd always want to organise my own vetting.

Sounds a lovely horse though, good luck selling it.