Is this an unrealistic ask?

Marigold4

Visit site
Just pondering how to keep my young horse happy in my lorry and going out and about. He frets and sweats up when travelling and clearly can't wait to get home, so we don't go anywhere. Do you think it would be possible to find an elderly, small pony on loan/companion status to travel on the lorry with him, that would stay calmly on the lorry on its own and not make a fuss - or is that unrealistic/more trouble than worth? Lorry is only 3.5 so can't be a big pony.

PS he's been out a lot in lorry showing as youngster and training last year so not inexperienced at travel

Marigold4

Visit site
How is he if he travels in a trailer or different configuration of lorry?
I've not tried anything other than my little lorry. Think it's being on his own that he doesn't like. Wish someone could make me a fake horse that looks, sounds, smells like a horse but doesn't have the ability to think for itself!

ihatework

Visit site
I’m sure you could find something.
But I reckon it would be more productive to get the horse used to travelling alone.
Frequent short trips where they do something they enjoy.
Try and ignore any amateur dramatics and stay calm and ‘not bovvered’
You could try a mirror
If still struggling consider it might be something to do with your particular transport - worth trying a few

Michen

Visit site
Teach him to travel. I had to do it with mine (who was a catastrophic nightmare). I'd load and minute by minute build up the time he spent on the lorry. Small trips etc. The minute he got wound up I'd go back 5 steps. It took about 3-4 months and I did it almost daily. But he was a special case, he'd literally try and kill himself if asked to stand on lorry or travel.

It was gruelling and I nearly sold him over it, but I now have the most perfect traveller and I don't need to be scared of breaking down and him losing the plot.

scats

Visit site
Teach him to travel. I had to do it with mine (who was a catastrophic nightmare). I'd load and minute by minute build up the time he spent on the lorry. Small trips etc. The minute he got wound up I'd go back 5 steps. It took about 3-4 months and I did it almost daily. But he was a special case, he'd literally try and kill himself if asked to stand on lorry or travel.

It was gruelling and I nearly sold him over it, but I now have the most perfect traveller and I don't need to be scared of breaking down and him losing the plot.

Same here. Millie used to have a meltdown if I asked her to stand in the wagon for more than 3 seconds. It took a lot of loading, standing, unloading, stepping down the ramp and leaving her for five seconds, then unloading etc. Eventually shutting the ramp for a few moments, then going for a little drive.. it was a lot of effort.

But I now have a very good loader and traveller who I take out and about on my own.

Michen

Visit site
Same here. Millie used to have a meltdown if I asked her to stand in the wagon for more than 3 seconds. It took a lot of loading, standing, unloading, stepping down the ramp and leaving her for five seconds, then unloading etc. Eventually shutting the ramp for a few moments, then going for a little drive.. it was a lot of effort.

But I now have a very good loader and traveller who I take out and about on my own.

I feel ya pain :D I did it over summer and parked the lorry in a field.

Op it really does suck but sticky plastering the problem with a companion is not ideal. That said you may find a bit of travelling with a companion helps initially but I'd do the solo travelling work alongside it (ie just asking horse to stand on lorry, close ramp etc)

tiga71

Visit site
I agree with doing the work to make him happy and confident travelling.

I am doing that at the moment with my project horse. He was loaded in a chiffney, dually head collar and lunge line... it wasn't a pleasant experience for him. When we picked him up we had to load him like that. I promised him that would be the last time.

I have just had to go back to the very beginning. We started by asking him to walk into small spaces we created in the school, learning to be tied, not rushing through gates and doors. (He had a lot of issues). When we first showed him the lorry at the other end of the yard he started shaking and liquid poo. Our first session we got him about a metre from the ramp where he could stand with relaxation. We got to that point using approach and retreat. It has taken a lot of work but he now is happy to walk on the box, stand tied with the ramp up. I still have to close the ramp slowly, put it up a bit, put it down, etc.

We are now working on find relaxation when ramp and doors are shut, almost there. Then it will be with me outside the lorry.

A very slow and often tedious process but I celebrate the progress and trust that we will get there.

catembi

Visit site
My ex racer used to get completely hysterical travelling alone in my 7.5 ton & went as nuts as I have ever seen a horse go once trying to climb over the partition and get back out. I 'solved' it by travelling him with my 40 year old pony mare, but then when we got wherever we were going, SHE used to get irate because she thought that she should be showjumping & was furious at not being allowed off the lorry. So you would need the right companion and not a stroppy old bat who thinks she should be competing at 40...

Winters100

Visit site
Many years ago one of my biggest mistakes was thinking that I had 'solved' a travel problem by bringing a small companion. I had not solved it, just masked it. I was left in a situation that meant I had to take little pony along, even when it was not really practical or even permitted. If I could go back I would solve the problem in a different way, lots of short stints having treats in a stationary lorry, lots of short journeys, in my experience the more time they spend going up and down a ramp, going for a little ride, the more 'ordinary' it becomes.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks everyone who contributed grat advice. I have done all the small steps training, short journeys with him since he was 2. He loads pretty well, doesn't bang around or climb the walls when travelling or rush out the other end or whinny. So I guess lots would say he already travels well. The thing is that I can see he's anxious and unhappy under the surface about it. It's a huge ask for a horse to step into a metal box on his own away from his friends, get travelled around with all sorts of worrying noises, can't see me while travelling. I think I've heard horses can and do get ulcers from travelling due to the stress. I've really changed my perspective on horses in the past few years and just want them to be willing and happy partners - I know that sounds really wet. I think having a pony with him would help enormously - but finding one that would stand quietly on its own at the venue will be difficult.

Might try a mirror though. Lorry is rear facing so he can't see me. It has a speaker in the back so he gets the radio on while travelling.

J&S

Visit site
same old, same old......... try giving him some Rescue Remedy. Follow with short careful journeys. This certainly worked for us where trying with a companion was not a success as the companion went bonkers when the competing horse was taken out!