Is this bridle tacky?!

huskydamage

Visit site
I like the red bridle :)
I have a neon blue hackamore on my chestnut, get lots of comments verging from 'I love your bridle' to 'what the hell kind of bridle is that?!' down to individual tastes I guess. Personally spent my whole riding years with boring brown leather tack now I'm just hacking wanted to go for the most wacky thing I could get lol

GemG

Visit site

YES.

I don't like it at all... (I am very boring though!)....

BUT who cares, it's your horse, your money and it should be what YOU want!! Enjoy it! If nothing else, it looks rather patriotic in the red, white and blue.

alainax

Visit site
I have a confession... after seeing this thread last year, I looked into them for hacking and trec. I bought the Zilco one in hunter green, with the reins, and a matching hackamore. For a black Freisian.

This colour ( although the endurance one and not the racing one)
672335_green_racing_bridle.jpg

With this hackamore ( in the same green as the bridle)
l_zilco%20s%20hackamore%20%23124350.jpg

With this saddlecloth.
PS-SuedeDRSQGreenWEB.jpg

:D :D :D

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I like it but then I'm from the endurance world and we're all odd ) my chestnut mare wears black and red when competing. Both bridle and saddle pad. I'm in red and black to match! And at home and TREC, she wears a hiviz yellow bridle. The horror!!! Not being a traditionalist, I want practical. Washable plastic wins over perishable leather when being sloshed, and when my OH has 5 chestnut arabs hurtling towards him at a crew point, it helps us stand out.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Red and black:

260033_10150303689232193_7091203_n.jpg

P1070371.jpg

The mare on the left is my older mare. Her loaner at the time had her in purple tack; I had her in blue, white and red. She looked great :)
EustonPark1.jpg

Hi-viz yellow:
101_0757.jpg

Last edited:

Serianas

Visit site
its not normally something I would choose but I reckon it would go fab with my custom saddlepad!

WP_20150302_003%202.jpg

Again its not something thats most peoples cup of tea but I wouldnt do dressage in it, and it suits devil pony very well :D

Serianas

Visit site
Its Nags Rags, and he is the nerdiest pony on the yard lol (my partner and I play Warcraft as Horde faction so we thought pony needed to advertise this fact)

It was a very reasonable price and not a long time to get it either.

alainax

Visit site
So this thread inspired me sometime back to buy a coloured bridle. I promised to post a pic!

We have the matching boots also. I am quite impressed with the bridle, seems really well made :)

rZ39w0p.jpg

saddlesore

Visit site
So this thread inspired me sometime back to buy a coloured bridle. I promised to post a pic!

We have the matching boots also. I am quite impressed with the bridle, seems really well made :)

rZ39w0p.jpg

Just tumbled upon this- he looks fantastic in the racing green! Wonder how many more secret colour lovers are hiding on here 😉

s4sugar

Visit site
My first reaction... ick

Sorry, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and like plain simple tack in black.

However it's your horse, so you should wear whatever you like :)

Sorry but traditionally black is only for formal driving.
Brown is correct for riding.
This tack is fun, safe & functional and I have no problem with it.
I loathe patent & brass patterns on ridden horses though.

Bilbo_Baggins

Visit site
Loving this thread :)

rZ39w0p.jpg

He looks fabulous!!!

Here is the mare I used to lead out rides at the Trekking centre I used to work at :) She had light blue and dark blue, though I would have loved a black halter part and hot pink bridle part as these were her "colours" :) I would get one for my horse, but he would need to marathon style (clip on cheek pieces) as the arab/cob size style (as pictured below) would not fit him :-(

970432_10151502872610906_1526140529_n.jpg

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
I'm a recent convert to matchy but this is a bit too much for my newly acquired love of colour !!

ETA although actually that green doesn't look bad matching with that saddle cloth !

Clannad48

Visit site
So just to stir things up a bit - we are all interested in doing what is best for our horses/ponies - correct. So if you are competing in an 80km+ endurance event that means that your horse/pony will have to be cooled down with large quantities of water, wouldn't your horse rather have a very light, washable, non water retaining bridle on and/or something that was convertable for the vetting/riding.

When my daughter wanted to buy the zilco bridle in colours for her endurance competing I was not happy, but looking at the horse nowadays I am happy that I went along with it. The lightness and ease with which it transforms from a bridle to a halter, is so useful. The ability to 'slosh' water over the horse to cool it down without soaking a leather bridle is worth it.

I am afraid I am a convert for using the zilco for endurance. (She does use a 'proper' bridle for all other activities)