Is this combination ok?

mushting

Visit site
Ive been trying to find something to put weight on my cob shes 19 and the winter has been hard on her I was feeding her speedi beat alfa a oil pony nuts and chaff I have not bought Spillers senior conditioning mix to feed instead of the alfa a oil is all that ok to feed together?

Thanks

ellie11987

Visit site
There's no need to feed the mix and pony nuts together, same goes for the alfa a oil/speedibeet/chaff, it's wasting money. Id feed the alfa a oil, and recommend rates of the conditioning mix. Micronised linseed is also very good for weight too at 2 mugs per day. If not, extra added oil such as sunflower oil. Plus ad lib haylage.

ellie11987

Visit site
what do they all do? I find feeding so complicated I dont know how much to feed and what!

I felt like this a few years ago, having a TB has changed everything lol!

Chaffs and beet are fibre sources and usually act as a 'base' to bulk out the feed and prevent choke etc. Plain molassed chaffs have little nutritional value. Alfa a oil is basically chopped alfalfa covered in oil. It has more calories but to get hard weight gain the quantities you have to feed are insane so I prefer to use this as a base rather than the main hard feed.

Your cubes/mixes are energy dense so contain more calories in a smaller volume, only 1 needs to be fed as they both have the same purpose. If you want to use the mix, I'd build up to 1 scoop alfa a oil, 1 scoop mix and a mug of linseed in each feed 2X a day.