Is this headshaking?

IWTO

Visit site
Im confused..

My pony started headshaking although its not 'traditional' type shaking, its more of an irriation.

Had my vet out and he said she had a slight swelling around her poll so i anti-inflammatoried it and it went down, she was ridden a lot and became worse and worse- the the point where she puts one ear flat back against her head and almost turns her head intowards herself and either naps or feels like shes going to go down.

Its random because its not all the time, if shes out on a hack and is busy or interested etc she wont do it- BUT if you loosen the rein she will.

She does in more so in a schooling environment but again its not all the time and the weather doesnt affect it.

Shes stopped being ridden now, her back, teeth and saddle are fine and the person who had her had a vet out who basically classed her as a 'headshaker' end of.

Im not convinced, nor are 4 other people who have taught her and ridden her we all think it is something in her ear.

I now have another vet out today but im beginning to run out of options.. does anyone have experience of anything similar?

kerilli

Visit site
doesn't sound like the headshakers i've known.
fwiw i knew of someone years ago who eventually had their horse pts because of dramatic unmanageable headshaking... and when they did an autopsy, it had a plastic bag jammed in its ear (obviously deliberately) which they'd never been able to see.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

so, i'd prob get your mare sedated enough for a vet to check that, just in case. if it looks as if she's got a problem with something in her ear, just might be something there.
otherwise, why not try a D'yon or similar bridle with absolutely no poll pressure or pressure around ears?
very best of luck, i hope you get to the bottom of it for her sake.

IWTO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
doesn't sound like the headshakers i've known.
fwiw i knew of someone years ago who eventually had their horse pts because of dramatic unmanageable headshaking... and when they did an autopsy, it had a plastic bag jammed in its ear (obviously deliberately) which they'd never been able to see.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ, thats horrific!!

bailey14

Visit site
I would suggest you get a mc timoney chiropractor out and ask for her atlas to be checked. I know an atlas that is 'out of alignment' can caused the shaking of the head and headaches associated with this.

jenh166

Visit site
my horse had a bit of cotton wool left in his ear after using it as earplugs whilst clipping (note to self - don't do it again!). He showed same signs as your mare for two days, then I got a torch and managed to get hold of it with tweezers, he's been absolutely fine ever since.
If there's something that's been there for a while, could explain the swelling. I agree with kerilli - get her sedated and checked out (i was lucky - my horse let me poke around in his ear without sedation but if something's lodged deeply you will need it).
Good luck.