Is this little lad good enough to show ?

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Just want to clear a few things up, I posted this late one night, it was an idea that popped into my head after seeing him all clipped out , I thought I would see what people thought, the photo is taken on a slope which probably does give the appearance of his croup being high, pretty sure it isn't but ill get a better photo of him standing up correctly :)

Some folk are still mixing him up with a standard Shetland and a miniature horse . He is neither :) he is a miniature Shetland . Those of you that said hes no condition ie muscle tone ....you are correct, he hasn't had an awful lot of exercise due to me having a young baby and painful back problems . He is not out on grass either :) the showing whether it was novelty classes or county does not really matter to me as its just something to do with him to keep him busy :)
Hope this clears up a few things :)

Col x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I have not posted here for a long time, and if I had to sum up a reason, the way this thread has panned out is why. What a cracking little mini - and how many of the know it alls on here have ever had one ??? And yet feel it is ok to slag a beautiful pony off ? Do you KNOW about mini health and well being ?

So here goes ; there are some really nasty, bitter posters on this site, and you know EXACTLY who you are. Immediate snidey one - liners. Post something putrid, and then try and backtrack out of it. Why not spend more time with your perfect horses and less on HHO ? The time spent here is turning you more and more into unpleasant posters who quite frankly are best put on UI.

HBM1

Visit site
I have only dipped in and out of this thread, but isn't he a lovely little chap. One thing that bothers me, how can anyone use the term "disgusting" without actually having a conversation with the owner? Instead of saying such a nasty thing, why not ask if he has been at a bit too much grass etc first?

Three years ago, my much-loved horses went to a stud and were literally starved of food. I had had an accident so could not visit as often, but I trusted this well-known (and now defunct) stud. I removed them as soon as I realised and they went to a place where they were well cared for. the following summer, they ballooned on the grass, as their metabolisms were completely out of whack due to being starved. I was just glad to see weight on them after their ordeal, but we did set about putting them in a paddock with less grass. I would have been absolutely devastated if someone had called them "disgusting" at that point, without knowing the full story.

People throw words around freely on the internet, and it is even more baffling to me (moomin) when you later say your own horses had a weight problem previously - so why refer to someone else's pony as disgusting?

Anyway, I have to admit when my dog woke me up at 4am to go out for a wee, it warmed my heart to read that this little guy's name is Chuckles..how adorable is that :)

hnmisty

Visit site
I think he is a little cutie, the only thing I'd be worried about is the judge stealing him to take home!

Yeah, he may not be super toned, or the ideal weight, but without knowing more about his history (after all, for all I know, you might have only bought him the day before you posted this!), using such lovely words as "disgusting" is a bit harsh!

mightymammoth

Visit site
I think he is a little cutie, the only thing I'd be worried about is the judge stealing him to take home!

Yeah, he may not be super toned, or the ideal weight, but without knowing more about his history (after all, for all I know, you might have only bought him the day before you posted this!), using such lovely words as "disgusting" is a bit harsh!

agree but I will fight the judge for him :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Hi Billie, yes i still read the site, but just do not want to post anymore. I guess because of stuff like this - posters are just getting ripped to shreds by "Senior Posters", usually with snide one liners, and the spirit of the forum is just yucky.

I hope HHO get a grip and sort it out, but until they do, the forum is not nice reading. I'd much rather be out picking poo tbh x

shannonandtay

Visit site
Just want to clear a few things up, I posted this late one night, it was an idea that popped into my head after seeing him all clipped out , I thought I would see what people thought, the photo is taken on a slope which probably does give the appearance of his croup being high, pretty sure it isn't but ill get a better photo of him standing up correctly :)

Some folk are still mixing him up with a standard Shetland and a miniature horse . He is neither :) he is a miniature Shetland . Those of you that said hes no condition ie muscle tone ....you are correct, he hasn't had an awful lot of exercise due to me having a young baby and painful back problems . He is not out on grass either :) the showing whether it was novelty classes or county does not really matter to me as its just something to do with him to keep him busy :)
Hope this clears up a few things :)

Col x

It's a shame the op feels she's got to justify putting up a nice little pic of her mini with a simple question about showing. I'm sure this will now put other people off doing the same :(

Goldenstar

Visit site
Hi Billie, yes i still read the site, but just do not want to post anymore. I guess because of stuff like this - posters are just getting ripped to shreds by "Senior Posters", usually with snide one liners, and the spirit of the forum is just yucky.

I hope HHO get a grip and sort it out, but until they do, the forum is not nice reading. I'd much rather be out picking poo tbh x

What's this senior posters thing ?
Every one is equal here .

Moomin1

Visit site
The pony is overweight. Simple.

No one will change my view of it. If people don't like that, then quite simply ignore my posts.

As I have said previously, my mare got overweight last summer, and yes, I was disgusted at myself for letting her get overweight. No animal, or person, should allow themselves to be overweight, but it happens. It doesn't mean it's ok, it just means they have to address it. Simple.

BSJAlove

Visit site
Yes, there is just a much kinder way of going about it. You have offended a few people on this thread, including op. In contrast, some might say you have been nice. Either way, you've made op feel the need to justify herself to everyone as to why her pony is (although I beg to differ) slightly over weight and for that reason I hope you feel a little tiny bit bad.

On second thoughts I doubt you will :)

BSJAlove

Visit site
OP, slightly off topic but were you the owner of missy a good few years ago? I remember reading your updates but haven't been on the forum for a very long time and wondered how your getting on.

Moomin1

Visit site
Yes, there is just a much kinder way of going about it. You have offended a few people on this thread, including op. In contrast, some might say you have been nice. Either way, you've made op feel the need to justify herself to everyone as to why her pony is (although I beg to differ) slightly over weight and for that reason I hope you feel a little tiny bit bad.

On second thoughts I doubt you will :)

No. Not at all. :)

BSJAlove

Visit site
Didn't think so! You let your own mare get overweight, yet your very quick to put others down for it? Prehaps some understanding having been there yourself.

Any how, I'm one very hormonal (slightly overweight) lady tonight, if you can't already tell, so I shall go to bed and sleep it off :) Oh I do love hho.

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
Didn't think so! You let your own mare get overweight, yet your very quick to put others down for it? Prehaps some understanding having been there yourself.

Any how, I'm one very hormonal (slightly overweight) lady tonight, if you can't already tell, so I shall go to bed and sleep it off :) Oh I do love hho.

Have I not said a few times now, that I fully understand how it is easy to let it slip?

Pigeon

Visit site
I think he's very striking, I like his markings, but know nothing about coloureds or showing so can't say more than that. People have been needlessly rude :confused: Yes he needs to be slimmer, but you can phrase it politely, and also perhaps stop pointing it out after the OP has said he's on a diet...

As for loosing weight - THIS!!! looks like so much fun. (can't figure out how to embed videos, sorry!!)

Luci07

Visit site
And picking through this thread I did find some good posts. Only thing I thought when I looked at the photo was, despite having many years of equine experience behind me, show me a photo of a mini Shetland for showing...and I have no idea what I should be looking at. Throw in the fact that it is coloured and I am even more at a loss. I am afraid I would be in the camp of "cute"! Show me a photo of a potential eventer and I am on home ground!

Mynyddcymro

Visit site
I'm sure with time and effort you can improve his condition. Personally his markings aren't my cup of tea. But with regards to showing you may find judges that do like his markings. Another here that does like the gingerbread man though!

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
It was never a matter of letting his weight slip ! It was a matter of it couldn't be helped and as I've said before he is ever so slightly overweight, he has a little round tum which needs slimmed but the likes of his neck and rear are not fat in any shape or form . Anyhoos I'm now done explaining the whole weight saga :)

I always knew what Hho was like as I've been a member for some time now and there's always one or two that has to be an awkward customer :)

"OP, slightly off topic but were you the owner of missy a good few years ago? I remember reading your updates but haven't been on the forum for a very long time and wondered how your getting on. "

Yes I do indeed, missy is 7 now and still gorgeous as ever ;) she's just been brought back into work several weeks ago due myself having a new baby and missy having a rather large sarcoid treated :) I've also been having major back problems, waiting any day now for a letter from the spinal surgeon, so my riding is restricted but I've had a lovely fab rider schooling her :)

Thank you folks chuckles is a cute little guy, he's a companion first :) we already have our show pony aka tommy tucker who is still doing superbly well:)

Col x