is this pinworm? ** utterly gross pic warning **

NeverSayNever

Visit site
gross pic warning!!!! :eek:

is it pinworm? she isnt itching...yet. both girls were done with equest pramox 4 weeks ago. Ive spoken to 2 different vets - one says reworm with equest and thought it was roundworm. The other says worm with 5 day panacur as the likleyhood of the equest getting to the backend is slim.And a 3rd opinion - a friend spoke to her vet who said as equest pramox is a 13 week wormer not to reworm at all!!

IMG_0350.jpg

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!

Yup I think that is a pinworm !!! Equest Pramox should kill them, and the vet who came for another livery also suggested using any of the syringe left over to insert up the backside :eek: BUT if you have tried this, I would certainly get the vet out for advice.

You also need to clear out and disnifect the stable walls, and pretty much everything.

I really feel for you - BUT I believe it's not "catching" and seems to be genetic ?? *tin hat firmly on*

pinworm.png

another pic I've just found - http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...548a0j&sigi=12la488ib&sigb=121bpcuqr&fr=moz35

Last edited:

NeverSayNever

Visit site
honestly i about died :eek::eek::eek:

she was done with equest pramox only 4 weeks ago though :confused: apparently it doesnt always get right through so the 5 day panacur is better? she lives out but has a stable she uses as a shelter.. should i disinfect it and what with?

*SHUDDER*

Fimbacob

Visit site
Looks like pinworm to me. Although the best way to check is one end usually much pointier than the other. Really technical of me, I know! The itching only starts when eggs are laid and that is how they are spread.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Looks like pinworm to me. Although the best way to check is one end usually much pointier than the other. Really technical of me, I know! The itching only starts when eggs are laid and that is how they are spread.

i dont know the answer to that as i almost died taking the pic on my phone and the thought of closer examination would be enough to make me pass out:eek: sorry i sound like a wimp but i can do anything but wigglies.. spiders, you name it, but not wigglies:eek::eek::eek:

Fimbacob

Visit site
Ooh just seen shysmum's lovely pic, which is much better than my rubbish description.
If you used pramox already, this could be the result of it doing its job. If it looked decidedly

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
^^^ this - actually I think it's eggs that come out the backside, so if it's an adult, it could be dead from the wormer. i do think this takes a bit of time, so don't panic :)

EDIT - OH - I would give the vet a quick ring if I was you !! I would also post this in the vet section on here. Sounds like you have done everything right so far, but pinworms can be extremely stubborn from what I understand.

You may well need to reworm - is it Ivermectin ??

Last edited:

Fimbacob

Visit site
lovely pic, which is much better than my rubbish description.is could be the result of it doing its job. If it looked decidedly

Fimbacob

Visit site
I havent even had a drink yet!
I was trying to say if it looked healthy and the pramox was 4 weeks ago, it might be resistant

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Just did a quick search on here and found this thread (loads in fact)

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=544242&highlight=pinworm

and it seems Strongid-P is a good wormer ?

A livery at another yard finally wormed her horse for the first time in two years (pot belly, severe weight loss), and the HUGE roundworms that came out for days were unbelievable, like 6" long aliens with mouths and everything. I took them to the vet to check they were roundworms, and the all the vets and nurses came to look, and they got pickled ! I left the yard asap.

Oooo I love worms, me ;)

Last edited:

5bs

Visit site
My new horse had mega pinworm infestation when I got him in May. He had five strongid P syringes Spread over a month to get rid of them, also had to wipe his bum twice a day with baby wipes, and put a load of Vaseline on the bum hole, every day. Got rid of them, last test was negative. My vet said "recent tests have shown that putting wormer up the bum doesn't work, you need to hit it hard with wormers, baby wipes and Vaseline".

NeverSayNever

Visit site
shysmum ive phoned 2 different vets and got 2 different answers (see my OP:D ) from whatim reading it seems the more oldfashioned wormers, like the 5 day panacur are better for these as the mectin based wormers are absorbed before they reach that far down

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
That is most definitely pinworm. They emerge from the anus to lay eggs around the outside - that is all the gunk you can see around the edge.
As well as another dose of wormer - moxidectin is the most effective - you will need to watch out for the whiteish residue around the anus and keep it wiped away.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Oh blimey - there will be loads more advice coming, and i would definitely put a thread in Veterinary. But from what I can see, Strongid P may be the answer. :)

Like I say, worms fascinate me, is that really sad ?? I used to be an RSPCA Inspector, and so many cases involved no worming, collecting worms as evidence, etc, and I learnt a lot from a vet I did a case with. He brought samples into court and the magistrates freaked !

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Oh blimey - there will be loads more advice coming, and i would definitely put a thread in Veterinary. But from what I can see, Strongid P may be the answer. :)

Like I say, worms fascinate me, is that really sad ?? I used to be an RSPCA Inspector, and so many cases involved no worming, collecting worms as evidence, etc, and I learnt a lot from a vet I did a case with. He brought samples into court and the magistrates freaked !

blllueeeergh:eek:

can anyone else tell me if the panacur 5 day is ok or is the strongidp better? only vet has put out the panacur for me to collect.....

philamena

Visit site
Yep Strongid - the equests say they get it, but actually don't apparently. I've heard various different dosages / regimes with Strongid though, from one double dose, one triple dose, one dose followed by another dose two weeks later... would be interesting to know what dosage others have had recommended...

HollyhedgePippa

Visit site
Believe thats pinworm. My girl had it and the vet said that normal wormers don't tend to reach the back end (including pramox) so she had 2 tubes of strongid p with a paste on her bum to kill the germs and it all cleared up.