is this pinworm? ** utterly gross pic warning **

NeverSayNever

Visit site
well neither vet seemed hugely informed :rolleyes: and i actually said id askd on here lololol and the HHO community recommended Strongid, so they went along with me:D

Fransurrey

Visit site
^^^ this - actually I think it's eggs that come out the backside, so if it's an adult, it could be dead from the wormer. i do think this takes a bit of time, so don't panic :)

Nope, pinworms crawl out of the backside to lay eggs, then crawl back in, little sods. My mare came with them and remains susceptible. The best active ingredient for pinworm is Ivermectin, but I've had mixed results depending on manufacturer. Equest - *****. Likewise with Vectin. The one I've had GOOD results with is Strongid P, double dose. I now use this twice a year as for tapeworm dosing. God knows how I'll cope next year, as I'll have to rotate.

The worm looked quite big for pinworm in your pic, OP, however that yellowish stain is VERY characteristic. Other tricks aside from Invermectin are vaseline around the botty hole (careful if you have footpaths going through the yard, ha ha!). Strangely, Chloe loves having her anus smeared with vaseline...

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who has managed to eradicate the problem completely, but I agree that some horses are susceptible, whilst others never have any! Henry has never shown signs of them at all!

Perissa

Visit site
According to Andy Durham from Liphook Equine Hospital pinworm are becoming more and more resistant to wormers including ivermectin.

A friend of mine's mare was given ivermectin orally and via injection and neither worked. She had to have a 5 day panacur every 4 weeks for three months to finally clear them.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
isnt it odd that ive never ever seen any evidence before and we havent introduced a new horse or anything... the only thing is she went onto a new field about 6 weeks ago, that had been grazed by cattle but i thought cross species grazing was beneficial and not sure if pinworm are species specific?

Boysy

Visit site
They are notoriously difficult to get rid of with wormers to be honest although Strongid P at double dose is the usual one. The best way is diligent cleaning of the bum hole twice a day every day, removing any worms that you see and smearing baby oil/vaseline round the bum hole and right round the area twice a day after cleaning. If they can't get out and lay their eggs then they will die off eventually and pass out with dung and no more will hatch if you keep the area scrupulously clean.

Use a rug with a tail flap preferably so if she does itch, she won't be smearing the eggs all over the place, clean the tail flap twice a day. Pinworm eggs can live on wood surfaces for stupidly long amounts of time so your pony itches on the fence and leaves some eggs, another pony comes along 3wks later and itches on the same place, the eggs attach, hatch and into the bum and heyho the cycle starts again......

Horrible buggy things, one of mine is susceptible, same worming program as my others and *touch wood* they don't suffer but he does.

Edited to add - They come out overnight while pony is resting to lay their eggs so you are lucky to actually see one.

Tnavas

Visit site
Yes - that is Mrs Pinworm and looking at the creamy deposits around the anus shehas been laying eggs.

Wash horses butt to remove eggs then when dry apply some vaseline around the anus as this will stop her laying any more

Then give her a good worm drench that contains one of the mectin based wormers.

Not often you see them tese days since the advent of Ivermectin they have been severely hit by it.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Worms freak me out. The amount of biscuits I ate at the stables as a child, without washing my hands, I always wonder how many horse worms I've accidentally eaten :eek:

What is the vaseline put on the horses bum for?

NeverSayNever

Visit site
They are notoriously difficult to get rid of with wormers to be honest although Strongid P at double dose is the usual one. The best way is diligent cleaning of the bum hole twice a day every day, removing any worms that you see and smearing baby oil/vaseline round the bum hole and right round the area twice a day after cleaning. If they can't get out and lay their eggs then they will die off eventually and pass out with dung and no more will hatch if you keep the area scrupulously clean.

Use a rug with a tail flap preferably so if she does itch, she won't be smearing the eggs all over the place, clean the tail flap twice a day. Pinworm eggs can live on wood surfaces for stupidly long amounts of time so your pony itches on the fence and leaves some eggs, another pony comes along 3wks later and itches on the same place, the eggs attach, hatch and into the bum and heyho the cycle starts again......

Horrible buggy things, one of mine is susceptible, same worming program as my others and *touch wood* they don't suffer but he does.

Edited to add - They come out overnight while pony is resting to lay their eggs so you are lucky to actually see one.

thankfully other than my wooden stable (which is just used as a shelter) there is nowhere to rub in my field as its all electric. I will scrub out the stable tomorrow. Thankfully she also has a rug on with a big tail flap and ive washed her with hibiscrub tonight and the tailflap too, so will be keeping on top of that now I know. Many thanks

Yes - that is Mrs Pinworm and looking at the creamy deposits around the anus shehas been laying eggs.

Wash horses butt to remove eggs then when dry apply some vaseline around the anus as this will stop her laying any more

Then give her a good worm drench that contains one of the mectin based wormers.

Not often you see them tese days since the advent of Ivermectin they have been severely hit by it.

she was only wormed 4 weeks ago with equest pramox and have never seen any prob before:(

WelshD

Visit site
After reading this earlier I lifted my geldings tail this evening for a good look as the white deposit mentions rang a bell with me and I saw exactly what you saw!

Will be off to my local store for some Strongid in the morning!

Do pinworms have a detrimental effect on a horse's health?

NeverSayNever

Visit site
After reading this earlier I lifted my geldings tail this evening for a good look as the white deposit mentions rang a bell with me and I saw exactly what you saw!

Will be off to my local store for some Strongid in the morning!

Do pinworms have a detrimental effect on a horse's health?

omg, maybe we should start a support group.. im still shivering at the memory:eek:

Tnavas

Visit site
As you've wormed so recently then I woould have a chat with your vet as to what to use.

Equest Pramox is a really good thorough wormer that usually gets everything.

When I wormed my 6month old Clydesdale I used an Ivermectin/Praziquontal based wormer - she was bomb drenched as had never been wormed in her life - the first worms to appear were Round worms and bots - she had no redworm at all. Following the second dose a week later I found the pinorms. As I hadn't seen these since forever I didn't recognise them and took some to the vet - he was most surprised to see them, told me what they were and said he hadn't seen them for many many years.

Neverseensanta - not much internal problems BUT they play havoc with the tail as the developing larvae wriggle and cause chronic itching so horse rubs it's tail inssesently.

EPRider

Visit site
We have had pinworm problems in two mares. Both were regualarly wormed using ivermectin and had strongid p for tapeworm with no effect on the pinworms. The 5 day course of panacur cleared them up.

Jnhuk

Visit site
We have had pinworm problems in two mares. Both were regualarly wormed using ivermectin and had strongid p for tapeworm with no effect on the pinworms. The 5 day course of panacur cleared them up.

Agree with this. One of my boys had pinworms about five or six years ago despite regular and routine worming (as what used to be recommended) and my vet said at the time as was his first case with pin worm resistance. Nothing cleared them up except the five day panacur and I knew it was working with the number of worms in the poo from day 2..... have photos somewhere of the poo!

You will also need to disinfect everything to stop re-infection that your horse may have rubbed their backside on

found photo

pinworms.jpg

Last edited:

DuckToller

Visit site
Brilliant photo - thanks for sharing (I mean it!).

I wormed a youngster with 5 day panacur and my friend found some worms on day 2-3 in a pile of dung and seemed most amazed that I wanted to see them - it was too late she had cleared the field.

Then she was quite horrified when I suggested she photograph any more that she found :)
It's always useful to know what's come out.

Anyone got photos of other worms?

Jnhuk

Visit site
Brilliant photo - thanks for sharing (I mean it!).

I wormed a youngster with 5 day panacur and my friend found some worms on day 2-3 in a pile of dung and seemed most amazed that I wanted to see them - it was too late she had cleared the field.

Then she was quite horrified when I suggested she photograph any more that she found :)
It's always useful to know what's come out.

Anyone got photos of other worms?

You are welcome! Think it is always worth seeing this things even just to learn things