Is this possible?

[155411]

Visit site
I have a mare. 15 years old. ID x WB. Not super fizzy. Very honest to a fence will jump off any stride. Happy jumping 1-1.10 at home. Is it possible to get this horse more sharp and doing British showjumping? And getting her competitive? Sweetest nature.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
no words.
she sounds a sweetheart and it also sounds like you want to ruin her.
Or perhaps, suggest the horse is got fitter with interval training and hill work, perhaps drop some weight, many ID & WB's are chunky types. Maybe schooling to get more in front of the aids and a few days hunting will often sharpen horses up.

[155411]

Visit site
Sounds like she could go out and do some sort of jumping and sounds like she is doing a pretty good job as she is.

Why does she have to be sharper?
In no way do I need her ‘faster’ just more responsive and willing to work. Obviously it comes down to her character but she’s capable as she shows in fields 🤣

[155411]

Visit site
I have a mare. 15 years old. ID x WB. Not super fizzy. Very honest to a fence will jump off any stride. Happy jumping 1-1.10 at home. Is it possible to get this horse more sharp and doing British showjumping? And getting her competitive? Sweetest nature.
She’s bred to be a workers horse but due to conformation wasn’t kept by original breeders/ owners. Maybe take her back out into the showing world and see how she gets on? Honestly even if she was just a plod along the road I wouldn’t care as long as she’s happy. But I know she would miss jumping.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Mine is wb x id too and same age , she has always been quite laid back and difficult to fitten up and get sharper, she is best carrying less weight but is a very good doer not sure if yours is the same.

If your horse is sound and comfortable i cant see any problem with jumping, but i probably wouldnt push for bsja at 15 and just focus on unaffiliated riding club etc

[155411]

Visit site
Mine is wb x id too and same age , she has always been quite laid back and difficult to fitten up and get sharper, she is best carrying less weight but is a very good doer not sure if yours is the same.

If your horse is sound and comfortable i cant see any problem with jumping, but i probably wouldnt push for bsja at 15 and just focus on unaffiliated riding club etc
Yes mine is very much a good doer. Potentially no for BS, I don’t want her to end up uncomfortable or injured just for a round of jumping, at the end of the day unaff and aff is the same to them. I’m thinking about taking her out to do workers as that’s what she was bred for and she isn’t a typical ‘jump off horse’. I have had professional showjumpers and instructors say she could easily go and do BS tomorrow but would that serve any good to her? All she cares about is kisses and food at the end of the day and she couldn’t care less is she was in a field covered in mud or at a competition 🤣

Melody Grey

Visit site
I wouldn’t be in a rush to ‘sharpen’ up a safe, established jumper- they’re worth their weight in gold, don’t underestimate what you’ve got there.

They can sometimes be given a new outlook with xc or something a bit different. Is she bored of jumping in the school? Could you work on grids or achieving tighter lines perhaps?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Go to an unaffiliated show find a date a month or a bit longer from now .
Spend that month getting the horse fitter and slimmer if that necessary .
Pole work in canter will help you assess if your canter is good enough
Have a google and find some exercises to try .
I would start by cantering over one pole on a twenty metre circle and see how that goes .
When you go to the show don’t over face yourselves go and jump at low height I don’t know anything about your experience level but I would think nothing of jumping a round of 70 cm then one at 80 first time out it’s important to have a good east day .
I would make sure you work in at least one session of jumping a full course of fences before you go to a show.
It’s easy to say I want to go out and jump at 1.10 buts it’s really the journey where the best fun is .
Can you get to a jumping trainer a couple of times a month to help you set your goals .

Annagain

Visit site
Do you have a trainer you're working with? If not, I'd get one on board. If she's doing it all comfortably at home you may find you don't need her to be any sharper but you might be able to shave off some time by taking tighter lines etc. I had a very laid back boy who was very talented but pushing him out of the rhythm he liked was counterproductive so we'd take tighter lines as he was so honest he'd jump even if he wasn't straight or on a great stride so we could come to fences at a bit of an angle or turn to a fence only a stride or two away. He did BN and Discovery (not with me) like this and more than held his own. I just did some riding club as I didn't have the time or money to do any more.

MissMay

Visit site
There is also a BIG difference in jumping one or two bigger fences at home as opposed to a full round.
Start lower and build up a couple of weeks at 80s or 90s and see if she feels she has more or you are both at max