Is this too cheap ?

debsflo

Visit site
I am the world's worst for overthinking but have been looking for a nice sensible allrounder and most are priced around £4_£5000 which seems to be as everyone wants the same as me. I've recently found a horse being sold by a dealer that on paper is perfect but half the price ie £2500. They normally sell first horse types ,this one is well bred but no world beater. Worrying as usual.obviously I will be trying out but thinking it's too good to be true...I have recently had to increase my budget as most are snapped up overnight.

PorkChop

Visit site
I would say it is too cheap for a nice safe true allrounder with no vices or quirks.

I would still enquire about it though, it may be that there is a reason it is that price, maybe a scar, dishing, a bit bolshy etc.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Nope not too cheap. I started with a similar budget to you and the one I liked best (and is coming on lwvtb) was a similar price to the one you're contemplating. I'm not certain, but I think he originally came from the dealer I/we mentioned in the PM, although I'm buying him privately.

We had the same thing years ago when my husband bought Jack. We'd looked at loads around the £4k mark (horse prices seem the same now as then) which weren't suitable, then a friend mentioned a horse that a dealer friend of his was selling for around the £2.5k mark. I almost didn't bother going to look but as he was local we made the effort. He was by far the nicest horse we'd seen and was just a bit green. He'd already done plenty of hacking and a very small amount of schooling. We had lessons on him and he went for a fortnight's training and he turned out to be a lovely horse with no hidden horrors.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Hmm I'd say that's too cheap to be a true sensible allrounder. Even the ones I've looked at around the £5k mark have general had some kind of quirk or issue. I've ended up upping my budget to £8k in the hope of finding something suitable.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Must admit, I'm always suspicious if the price for a nice allrounder is under £3500. The ones usually priced lower seem to be either in their late teens or sometimes being sold straight from the field or seen to crib/windsuck/weave or needs a confident rider which possibly means they are very sharp or nappy.

However, it would seem that sometimes there are genuine bargains out there :) Definitely worth a look, you can always walk away.

When I was looking I set my budget at £4000 and got my boy for a tad under that as he was very green. He's got no quirks except wouldn't be a suitable hack for a nervous or novice rider as sometimes he can be sharp and sometimes spooky. That doesn't bother me in the least though as I like sharp.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I paid 1500 for an 8 yr old ID. He's an ex field masters lead horse who had just lost his nerve going over the mahoosive stuff out hunting (blood hounds so think blooming massive!) He is sound with impeccable manners and an absolute dream in every way other than clipping. He is no world beater but he looks after his rider, always sane and sensible. Jumps for fun (up to a 1.10 happily) and is just a really safe fun allrounder. It was through a friend of a friend I heard about him so I know I'm lucky in that respect but they are out there and they don't have to be 5k+ although ive been offered that for him a couple of times but he isn't for sale :)

L&M

Visit site
I would go and see it

In my horsey 'lifetime' both the horses I have had the most fun with, and have been the best jumpers, were around that price.

Ironically the ones I paid more for all went wrong and were quicky sold on!!!!

Orca

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime cost around £500. She was sane, sound, viceless and excelled in dressage and eventing after a bit of work - and that was nothing extreme, just some schooling to the level I wanted us to be at. She was a bombproof hack, could turn her hooves to teamchasing with ease, was never strong or remotely silly and really was the perfect allrounder. The only time I came off her (my fault) she came straight back to 'pick me up' :D ...I might have been ridiculously lucky (and I do feel lucky to have had her) but I don't believe price is everything. There are some decent, sane sorts around for very little money.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Go and see it, I have never paid over £1000 for any off mine and £800 was my horse off a life time, she got her now, she's 22 and still going strong, never had a day lame in 13 years and I've done everything with her. Bargains are out there you do not need to spend thousands. In fact my friend brought a horse for £5000 been to hoys etc and within 2 years he was a write off and vets advised pts, my £800 mare still going strong.
The only part that would worry me is coming from a dealer so go in open eyed and be sensible.

MummyEms

Visit site
I too have never paid over 3k for a horse and the ones that won everything ee did together were significantly cheaper. A price of a horse is just what one person believes it to be.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Nothing wrong with viewing and seeing how you get on...I'm still kicking myself for not going to look at a 4 yo CB gelding priced at 2.5k who I'm sure is now someone's horse of a lifetime!

GoneWithTheWind

Visit site
Well I bought my first horse for £2500 (Irish sports horse 9yo 16.3hh) he's been an amazing allrounder (safe and sensible with being 3/4 tb and 1/4 draft (he's got the tb body and the draft mind so we're safe!)) and could actually do eventing which is in our nearby future plans! 😬 The only thing wrong was he was underweight and needed more schooling

My only advice would be view the potential more than once! get a VETTING and also ask to trial for a period. Don't let price put you off I viewed multiple £3500 horses which were not safe and sensible allrounders and like you was about to put my budget up again before I found him! Good luck in your searches

ossy

Visit site
Mine cost me £1,500 and I can take her anywhere, no world beater but does all RC stuff well. Before her I spent £6,000 on my supposed horse of lifetime and she was LOU within 2 years