Is 'two company-three a crowd' ?

jgmbng

Visit site
OK....so I have my 19 year old Dales with a multitude of problems, who at best is a light hack. His field mate is my friends 9 year old cob and they 'tolerate' each other rather than being best buddies.

I so want another while I am still able to cope with three ( I'm an ancient 40 something :))

I moved last June and the two have lived out successfully since then and I have the land and stables to keep another in this way.

My question is in the title really. I don't want to get another if its going to cause problems with the existing two.

Auslander

Visit site
Agree - 3 is a better number, unless you have someone to ride the other one. I can't ride Alf at the moment, because Spike can't be left alone. It's driving me nuts

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Always had three together but when I was left with just two I ended up buying three minis to replace the one big one. It was a good move they are a very happy little herd and if I take one, two or three out at a time there is never one left on it's own.

3OldPonies

Visit site
3 is better, I'm now 'down' to two and worry about taking one out and leaving the other, they've got a lot closer since the little 'un was PTS. Since one has a heart murmur I don't want to stress him too much. Having said that though, I'm not sure about getting another as that could cause even more stress. If they were both younger I wouldn't be so worried.

jgmbng

Visit site
Neither minds being stabled alone when the other hacks out so this isn't a problem. I do however think they are 'missing' another heard member as they do seem to look over into the adjoining fields quite often ( one side has sheep in during summer, the other is a field used for summer turnout for a nearby livery yard ).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have three and agree with everyone else, it's a good number. :)

100_2063.jpg

Mister Ted

Visit site
I think its best to keep things as they are.Possibly they are a bit bored in the field and maybe a large ball to amuse them would help.Taking on an extra horse is quite a handful and more expense although if you are up to it why not .Despite their indifference to each other they will have bonded to some extent. When my field sharer asked me to add her Fell mare to the field despite my misgivings I agreed.My horse was a gelding and she already had her other gelding in with mine and they got on well.When the mare was added everything went downhill.Her gelding began making overtures to her mare and my horse started getting bullied and nipped by them both.I would notice it when I passed the field and thought it would pass but things got to the stage where it became intolerable and I moved mine out the field.He is now with two mares and things are fine.So as long as its not two geldings with a mare things should be ok.

Cocorules

Visit site
3 is better. I have 2 who are best friends but both appreciate number 3. Number 3 does not seem to mind not being part of the pair but I would love to have a larger herd. Not going to happen though!

AngieandBen

Visit site
I think its best to keep things as they are.Possibly they are a bit bored in the field and maybe a large ball to amuse them would help.Taking on an extra horse is quite a handful and more expense although if you are up to it why not .Despite their indifference to each other they will have bonded to some extent. When my field sharer asked me to add her Fell mare to the field despite my misgivings I agreed.My horse was a gelding and she already had her other gelding in with mine and they got on well.When the mare was added everything went downhill.Her gelding began making overtures to her mare and my horse started getting bullied and nipped by them both.I would notice it when I passed the field and thought it would pass but things got to the stage where it became intolerable and I moved mine out the field.He is now with two mares and things are fine.So as long as its not two geldings with a mare things should be ok.

I disagree!! I have two geldings and a mare, they get on brilliantly, she is the boss though. Plus I don;t find it that much harder than two. If you have the land and can be kept out most of the time its a doddle! Poo picking = about 45 mins a day, feeding = a few minutes! The rest of the time can be spent riding :p

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It should work for you as they aren't joined at the hip. My two are, and when we had three the two lovebirds just ignored and excluded the third. My mare would act like she was alone if we took her fave away, even when no 3 was with her. She'd still charge round neighing.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Do you want another horse for yourself? If so yes go for it.

I've got two. My daughter has three. Thinking 3 each would be a better number so thanks everyone lolol

jgmbng

Visit site
The third one is for me. I want to do more than the light hacking I can do with the 'broken' one and feel if I don't do it now I never will.
I would love to have some lessons and not be limited to an hour or so hacking a few times a week.

Dubsie

Visit site
Depends on how they get one. Didn't work for us as No 1 in the herd always let No2 think No 2 was No1 - apart from crunch time whenever it REALLY mattered like going though a gate first or feed time in which case he'd put his ears back at No2 and be in charge. On introducing No 3, we put 1 and 3 together : No 1 and No 3 got on fine, as 3 acknowledged 1 was in charge.. However No 2 and No 3 did not. Even if No 1 was there they still didn't get on. I think the problem was No 2 felt he was the top dog in the herd and so did No 3.

Nudibranch

Visit site
As said, depends on the horses involved. My old mare was always possessive when there were three, and happier in a pair. However if they do get on and you have the time then three means nobody gets left on their own. Personally these days I find three are too much work and that's living out on a huge acreage with no poo picking! Its the 30% extra for bringing in, feeding, grooming, farrier, vet...I stick to two these days!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I personally think three is better that way one will always have company.

This. Two is the worst number IMO, I currently have 4 horses - 2 in one place, 2 in another. If you take one away even just for a plod down the road the other one frets. I'm about to go to an event and have to put the other one in the stable for the day just in case he canters about the field on his own. It's not a big deal, just easier if there's 3. They also get a bit more attached to each other I find, so if you take one into a stable for the farrier or something then the other one is wondering where they've gone.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I agree that three is better than two.

And for what's it's worth, we have had two geldings and a mare with no problems. Right now we have three geldings and a mare and they are a fantastic herd. We've also had just geldings, two of each and also two mares and one gelding and it has always worked out fine. All different shapes, ages and sizes too. :)