is your dog left or right handed (pawed)

ladyearl

vvv
Serious question. I understand the history behind walking dogs on the left is to do with carrying your weapon on the right (guns.sword etc.) but in reality some people are right handed so maybe some dogs are too?

I have a very pulley dog she's getting much better with training and patience but walks far better on the right so is she actually left/right pawed??

PorkChop

Visit site
I think they are, I have two gundogs, and when they are sweeping they naturally circle one way. Our Cane Corso always uses the same paw to get your attention.

TBB

Visit site
Have one cat who is left pawed and opens doors with her left paw but her friend is right pawed and only uses her right paw to open the same doors.:D

Goya

Visit site
In flyball, you find that some dogs prefer to turn left and others right.
It is unusual for them to change, although it occasionnally happens. My dog Skye always turned left on the box until shortly after she lost her left eye. She then taught (or chose) herself to turn right.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Allegedly, it's to due with how the pup was resting in the womb....which way he was curled. Be that as it may I think that we reinforce/create one-sidedness, much as we do with horses and it is one of the things that I always focus on.....walking a dog on both sides and ensuring that it has an even muscle development on both sides of the body. It amazes me the number of dogs that are 'short' on the right hand side of their body due to the way they curl around their owners left leg.

ladyearl

vvv
Interesting about how they lie in the womb. I think she'd like to try flyball and will be watching carefully to see which way she turns when we do go. Waiting till she's a bit older (2yrs) before I do anything like that with her so just doing obedience classes just now. Which I have to say are challenging enough!

ladyearl

vvv
I think they are, I have two gundogs, and when they are sweeping they naturally circle one way. Our Cane Corso always uses the same paw to get your attention.

I had to look up this breed as I hadn't heard of it - I'm guessing that's a big ole paw and will get your attention ;)