Is your horse a: Courser, Palfrey, Rouncy or Hobby?

Graureiter

Visit site
PS: What a lovely thread - best in ages. Well done, NeilM.

Graureiter (spelt right?) Love the pic. Is that you on board? You both look a trifle pensive - indeed, Cervantesque??!!

Yes, it's me riding.
It was Petrushka's last show. She is now retired.

My wife's Paint mare would be more of a Palfrey. Very easy on the rider, but quick and nimble when needed.

Destiny2.jpg

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think the Welsh cob types were more Destriers according to Elizabeth Chadwick the coursers were finer types that were pre-thoroughbred. But I guess we are somewhat judging by what horses we have today - I think back then they were all generally shorter in height and variations on native types.

Trish C - he may be a knobber but he's a handsome knobber - I reckon a Palfrey or maybe a courser

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
As I understand it there weren't any vaguely "heavy" horses till the 14th C but I'd have to go back over my notes. I unearthed a vast trove of stuff on horse size, hay prices and military budgets the other month! Knowing me it'll take a year to digest it into readable form... :eek:

Roucey = runcey - runci, so the former archbishop of Canterbury was a "cob man" :p

Puddock

Visit site
Have you been reading Game of Thrones etc., by any chance? :D

I became interested in these terms after I became enthralled with the series a few months back.

I've definitely got a destrier, but I think he may be a bit oversized...

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My mare would be either a courser or a palfrey depending on the circumstances :D

My gelding would be the first version of hobby but not really sure which of the other terms :D Hes fast, agile with a mind of his own and a good sense of fun and turn of speed :D

rockysmum

Visit site
Well my old boy would be most put out. You missed his classification altogether.

What best describes him would be the ancient term "three legged donkey"

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
very interesting :D and educational ;)

Having looked at my welsh D ( there is certainly a range of type within the breed ) probably a rouncy :confused: ........ she is a 14.1 leg at each corner steady gal who can charge around if need be as well as pull a plough ( well carriage).

If I get it right the rouncy is the general all purpose medieval version of an all rounder family pone ? :D

Wolfie

Visit site
Must admit when I have done research into medieval Hobby horse never came up. A Courser was also known as a Destrier. They were not overly tall, generally around 15hh- 16hh it is believed. Which would make sense as they were expensive to keep in hay. Also they were incredibly expensive to buy.
FDC

I think there is a difference in coursers and destriers. I think coursers were a lighter, speedier style of warhorse, whereas the destrier was the sort of epitome of a heavy warhorse to carry knights in jousts and stuff. I guess the horse you choose depends on whether it is heavy hand to hand or skirmishing battle.

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
I think there is a difference in coursers and destriers. I think coursers were a lighter, speedier style of warhorse, whereas the destrier was the sort of epitome of a heavy warhorse to carry knights in jousts and stuff. I guess the horse you choose depends on whether it is heavy hand to hand or skirmishing battle.

This is what I've read in military histories too.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Interesting thread. Some of the ambler breeds went to the New World,i.e. america and the islands, which is why there are still several "gaited" breeds as they are, apparently, very, very comfortable to ride long distances. In Europe the trotters took over, partly because of the popularity of dressage and partly as richer people started to be taken round in carriages which looked smarter if they were trotting.

Queenbee

Visit site
Fany is a Courser, her breed, or one very similar but probably slightly taller, actually were used by knights. If you think about it they are very sturdy and strong enough to carry armour and knight.Also Julius Caesar used her breed.
No idea what Captain is probably a Palfrey, a pretty riding horse for ladies or clergy.
FDC

A coarser fany :eek: that's just rude!

Can someone explain the terms?

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well I reckon I've 2 palfreys and an up and coming Destrier if I have it right they are the heavyweights that carried the knights in heavy armour, he's Clysdale x Welsh, but is going to be a big boy:D:D:D:DBut will start looking up Medieval History.:):)