Is your horse shod?

Football fan or not?

• Total voters

vicm2509

Visit site
I have just had Barons back shoes taken off. In the winter he pulls his front shoes off in the mud by over reaching in the deep ground. Hes been shod 4 weeks and I had to get the farrier out to put new fronts on, so I asked him to take backs off to see how he goes as if he left them on I would have to get farrier out again in 3 weeks anyway.

In the winter he is hacked at the most once a week as its too dark on week days to hack out after work. He will be on the roads for 30 mins max then on bridle paths. I do put him in the horse walker for about 10 mins a day to cool off which has a concrete floor. Im hoping he wont get sore but im interested to see how many shoes everyone elses horse has on throughout the winter and how they cope.

riotgirl

Visit site
My old girl isn't shod as she is retired. My Welshie has fronts only. She has fantastic feet though that are rock hard. We do mainly roadwork in the winter months due to having no school and I have never had a problem with her. She did spend the first 9 years of her life shoeless though, and I think this has actually helped her toughen up.

KatB

Visit site
Shod allround. I had just fronts on from april last year until October, only went full set as took him hunting, and started to compete. He always managed well with just fronts, but was paranoid about grip, and he does alot more roadwork now.

vicm2509

Visit site
*Apologies for putting 'he is shod all round', should be he/she
smile.gif

SSM

Visit site
Have checked all round, but is that not the kiss of death?? Convinced now she will have pulled one off when I get her in tonight!!!!!!!

Chex

Visit site
Shod all round. Very tempted to try barefoot, but he's really lame if he even looses a shoe, so don't think he'd cope. Once's he retired I probably will if he's not really going to be out the field much.

Starsy

Visit site
Two unshod, one has granite feet, but the other wears boots half the time on all four feet, as they wear down too quickly.

UKa

community.webshots.com
Barefoot - lucky she has really good feet; never actually owned a horse that needed shoes so pretty used to this would find it odd having to adjust to worrying about shoeing ...

equibabe20

Visit site
Shod all year round, he got laminitis last October and his pedal bone dropped and rotated slightly he would be crippled without he's bad on stony ground even with shoes.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Currently unshod but only because he's on box rest. He was very footsore at first so we've had to use a lot of keratex hoof hardener but he's back to his old self again now.

Tia

Visit site
Please add on 22 to your unshod vote. Only 2 horses on this farm are shod and then only with front shoes. The rest are unshod.
smile.gif

jemima

Visit site
two geldings both shod in front
two mares both barefoot - one currently being broken and expected to event barefoot the other is my daughter's first pony that we drive occasionally

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
All four barefoot, two retired, one much freer moving without shoes, the big girl needs sedating to have her feet trimmed, would never manage to have shoes on, and her feet are fine like that.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Shod all year round, he does loads of road work & then he's off to shows. He's a Hann x TB so his feet aren't the hardest around. During the summer he has studs in at shows, needs shoes to screw them into.
smile.gif

clipclop

Visit site
Unshod because he just doesn't keep shoes on and eventually his feet become so crap we had to take the shoes off anyway.

Decided that it was crazy to take shoes off to rest his feet when we could have a go at losing the shoes all together and see what happens.

He does just great without which is wonderful. It is hardwork keeping him unshod a lot more hands on maintenance work but at least I can ride him when ever I want without worrying about lost shoes!! Woo hooo!! And we don't slip on tarmac!! So the extra hard work is worth it.

Do get treated like a freak a lot though which really pisses me off! How many times do I have to say "I haven't jumped on the bandwagon, I have done this for my horse"!!

Ttfn
smile.gif