ISH breeding question?

ecrozier

Visit site
Hello
Never posted in this forum before but thought it would be the best place to get some opinions!
OH's mare is currently off work, has been lame 3 month. Had xrays etc, not found anything. off to newmarket, possible soft tissue injury etc.
Anyway, if we are told she needs a decent time off, we'd strongly consider breeding from her next spring. We were planning to do it at some point anyway, so this seems like fate if she does need a while off.
She is a 13 yr old, 16.2hh bay ISH mare, at least 3/4 ID though and much more that shape than the TB. Well put together, scopey mw/hw hunter really. King of Diamonds is her grandad, Flagmount King her dad. She's hunted, team chased etc and always been very sound and healthy. Previous owners bred from her but foal died of an infection at a week old. They pu her to a WB, not sure who.
Anyway, if we do decide to breed, any suggestions on a stallion to put her to? Or just a breed/type?
We'd be looking for the foal a quality allrounder, for either my OH or more likely me in the long run as I have more time/inclination to ride! I am doing low level BSJA/eventing but would like something slightly bigger or more scopey than my 15hh arab! But I do love my arab to pieces and his way of going/behaviour really suits me.
So it would ideally need to be smaller than the mare, maybe about the 15.2hh mark, and probably finer built as well, as i find her too big.
Now, I am a sucker for a pretty head on a horse - and would secretly like to send her to a polish or crabbett arab, or a PBA of some kind, but would we be mad not to go down the registered ISH line? How small can you find an ISH stallion? Could we put her to a connie perhaps?
ny advice greatly appreciated!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
ID SPORT HORSE STALLIONS (SHR)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BALLYBANE SHAMROCK Brown (16.0½) 1986
Sire: Chairlift (TB) Dam: Ballybane Grace (RID) by Aughadown

Owner: Mrs J Wheat, 51 Heath Road, Sandbach, Cheshire
CW11 2JU (01270 762412)

(15.3) 1997
Sire: Grosvenor Lad (RID) Dam: Direen Rose (AID) by Skippy

Owners: Mr D Dean and Mrs S A McCrory, Ray Lodge Farm, Ray Lane, Lingfield, Surrey RH7 6JH (01342 834940)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COOL DIAMOND STAR Bay (16.1) 1999
Sire: Coolcorron Cool Diamond by Glidawn Diamond (RID)
Dam: Miss Kilbeg by Spring Diamond (ISH)

Owner: Miss C Giddings E-mail: christinaandirwin@eircom.net
Standing: Mr M Bryan & Miss L Cathcart, Absolute Horse Ltd, Fossebrook, Coventry Road, Croft, Leicestershire LE9 3GP (01455 286612 or 07930 399637 or 07845 888667)

CRUISING ON CLOVER Liver Chestnut (16.1½) 2001
Sire: Cruising (ISH) Dam: Clovers Beauty (RID) by Clover Hill

Owner: Mr H P Vennelle, The Bungalow, Hillhead Farm, Brixham, South Devon TQ5 0EX (01803 852083)

KNIGHTLEY PARK Brown ((16.1) 1992
Sire: Enniskeane Prince (RID) Dam: Sophisticated Lady (TB) by Tycoon II

Owner: Mr R Williams, Glenwood Stud, Coldside Farm, Stamfordham, Northumberland NE18 0LF (01661 886453)
E-mail: studmanager@glenwoodstud.co.uk
Web: www.glenwoodstud.co.uk

M J FINE ART Bay (16.1) 1995
Sire: Magnus II Dam: Fire Queen by Snowford Stoker (RID)

Owner: Mrs J Howells, New Lane Farm, New Lane, Harthill, Broxton, Chester, Cheshire CH3 9LG (01829 782357)

PENGANSE PIRATE Grey (15.0¾) 1991
Sire: The Poet by Slievenamon (RID) Dam: Tara by Bijou Boy (TB)

Owner: Mr R F Parry, Vinegar Hill Farm, Oxlynch, Standish Stonehouse, Gloucestershire GL10 3DP (01453 822578)

RIDGEWOOD FOUR SQUARE Chestnut (15.2) 1996
Sire: Amber Glen (RID) Dam: Millie (AID) by Purple Boy

Owner: Mrs D Mason, Elmtree Cottage, Oak Road, Crays Hill, Billericay, Essex CM11 2YL (01268 521040)
E-mail: enquiries@tks-sport-horses.co.uk
Web: www.tks-sport-horses.co.uk

TOUX PEGASUS Grey (16.0) 2004
Sire: Caerba Legacy (RID) Dam: Ladywell Iona (TB) by Aban

Owner: Miss F Thomson, Southhills Stud, South Hillbrae Farm, Bridge of Marnoch, Near Huntly, Aberdeenshire AB54 7VQ (07909 712565)

All the RID and IDSH Stallions on these lists are approved by, and registered with, the Society. However, it is the responsibility of Mare owners to ensure that the Stallion of their choice has a current CEM Certificate and an IDHS(GB) Covering Book for the 2007 season.
If in any doubt, please contact the Society Office - details below.

IRISH DRAUGHT HORSE SOCIETY (GB)
The Forge, Avenue B,
10th Street,
Stoneleigh Park,
Warwickshire CV8 2LG
Tel: 08452 300 399
administrator@irishdraughthorsesociety.

ecrozier

Visit site
Thanks, but I think they are all a bit big? Bearing in mind mare is 16.2 and well built, and I'm looking to breed something more like 15 - 15.2? There is one smaller one in there though, will go look him up thank you!
Any suggestions on connies that produce performance rather than showing stock?

ecrozier

Visit site
Hmmm, only problem with a TB is she (mum) is a fairly flighty nervy type (you wouldn't look at it to see her - did you see her when you were here?). Plus I've got a bit of a paranoia about soundness issues with TBs? O is that just a stereotype?!
Will go look at the sport pony one now, thanks!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
He is nice & this is one of his sons (on the link) & his grd son
olypushhalebop.jpg

http://www.theolympusstud.co.uk/ccoff.htm

MrStevo

Visit site
Cant go past CentyField Nico at end house stud, lovely horse and superb yard. Google centyfield Nico for pics. We used him to breed a Coloured sports horse but got a ginger one - extremely talented tho. He is a polish warm blood. We also used Four leaf clover for our youngest and have a strapping 3yo coloured standing 15.2 and growing! PM me for any other details if you need them. google centyfield nico you will love him!

reynold

Visit site
Stafford Twilight is also at Langaller (as is C. Dazzler sire of Harry Meade's Midnight Dazzler that went so well at Burghley). S. Twilight is also very very nice and has evented.

S_N

Visit site

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
I put my 14.2 JA pure bred Arab over a 16.2 ISH and got a cracking 15.2 mare. I also put same stallion over a 16.1 WB mare and got another cracking 15.2 sport horse! I actually do recommend using pony stallions on bigger mares you get some great little horses! My Voltaire mare is infoal to same JA by frozen semen, I can't wait to see what I get
ooo.gif
, especially as it probably my last foal by this JA as we lost him earlier this year
frown.gif
and only had a very small amount of frozen
frown.gif
, which we used on this mare and have one dose left for next year!

I would suggest looking for a 14.2 JA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif

ecrozier

Visit site
h tobago is definately looking like exactly the sort of horse I'd like to put her too...very very local to us as well. A 14.2 JA also sounds ideal....thats exactly what I want, a talented but SMALL sports horse type....now just got to convince the OH that another arab (or at least part bred) is exactly what we need
wink.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

kerilli

Visit site
i would probably put her to a small tough t.b., or an arab. i wouldn't put a warmblood on her - i've done it 3 times now, WB on an Irish/TB, and i don't think it works... wish i knew why though.
since she's had a mystery lameness, i'd definitely go for toughness, something that's stood up to plenty of racing and retired sound, for example.
just my thoughts, anyway.

ecrozier

Visit site
Hmm, thanks kerilli, my thoughts exactly. Don't know why, I've just never had much time for WBs in general, maybe just not met the right one, but was thinking more along the hot blood line!
Mystery lameness will hopefully be a mystery no longer after her trip to newmarket, but obviously we would take into account what they say. Her x-rays showed good joint structure etc and vet actually said for a big (650kg +) horse who has hunted and team chased, her legs are actually very clean. If they do turn around and say it is something she could pass on to a foal, we'd have to think again perhaps!
Lets just hope I can convince OH that an arab is a good idea.....

sallyf

Visit site
You could put her to something like this which is our small TB stallion .
He covers a lot of larger mares in the hope of throwing smaller ,tidier horses which he inevitably does and all have his very pretty heads without fail.
Competition bred he is out of a Head stud book Grade B jumping mare by a stallion that has produced everything from Advanced eventers to racehorses.
macnew.jpg

S_N

Visit site
I think if you show your OH pics of tobago, he'll fall in love!! I'm not an arab person - don't get me wrong, I think they are the super models of the horse world - but this horse just blows me away!! His movement is spectacular!!!

kerilli

Visit site
keep pointing at Tamarillo... he's by an arab! quirky and impossible as anything, mind you, but amazingly talented.
i wouldn't discount a small t.b.... as long as you've got at least an 1/8th Irish Draught, you've got lots of savvy, imho. some t.b.'s are as kind and calm as anything.
the J.A. pony idea is a good one too, but you might need to stand the mare in a ditch for him!

brightmount

Visit site
My ISH was covered by a Polish Arab last month (not scanned yet). If you're in the South East and interested in the natural approach I may have a recommendation.

ecrozier

Visit site
Hi guys
Yep, will keep pointing to Tamarillo.....OH likes him lots so if I could suggest we might get something of that size/shape, we'd be on a winner I think! Def intereseted in h tobago, but tamster, yes in SE and yes possibly interested in natural covering although, as pointed out above, she's have to stand in a very large ditch! INterested to hear your recommendation tho!