ISH stallions for eventing

ecavalli

Visit site
I am a french breeder and a have 4 ISH broodmares.
I am looking for ISH stallions or TB.
I would like to breed allrounder horses, brave and bold in cross country and easy to ride in show jumping and dressage. I am looking for ISH stallions can be use in France (for example Clover Brigade that I will probably use next year).

Alec Swan

Visit site
Ecavalli,

I have a colt foal by Puissance, born this year. We bought his mare from Ireland, in foal. He is very coltish, and may very well be gelded soon. He doesn't have the prettiest head, but he has a huge walk, and moves very well, with a powerful back end. The mare has a great deal to recommend her.

I have searched for pics and videos, but without success. The lady from whom I bought the mare, sent me a pic of Puissance, and it's probably the only one ever taken!! He has a lovely eye, and looks to be a very honest sort. He has attracted a great deal of interest, over the years.

I would be interested to hear if any one has bothered to keep any of his colt foals entire.

When I can find the pic of Puissance, then I'll post it, or send it on. Would you care to see pics of my foal? It may give you some idea of the stance of the horse.

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
eventrider23,

no, he's available by AI, but the problem is the Defra licence, here into England. There are those who've travelled over, by ferry, and then collected the semen, so I'm told!

Alec.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

no, he's available by AI, but the problem is the Defra licence, here into England. There are those who've travelled over, by ferry, and then collected the semen, so I'm told!

[/ QUOTE ]

And they should be shot!! The DEFRA licence requires stringent health checks on semen to ensure that EVA/CEM - and worse - aren't imported into the UK. It is criminally irresponsible to bring in semen via the back door!!

eventrider23

Visit site
There are many of those practices done over there....many many people will travel across the water and pick the semen up and yes, as JanetGeorge says they should be shot as the licensing laws are there for a reason!

eventrider23

Visit site
I simply mean that I know of a lot of instances whereby non licensed stations sell semen through the 'back door' so to speak as their stallions are not stationed at an EU approved station and thus the semen is not licensed for export to the UK. I know of at least 5 studs that have offered the option.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I think that the way the regulations stand at the moment and are interpreted by DEFRA can mean that many small stud and stallion owners in Ireland are disadvantaged if they want to market their stallions semen to mare owners in the UK. For a one/two stallion owner to have to put their horse in quarantine for 6 weeks at one of the few EU approved centres in Ireland, and then pay for each collection, is extremely expensive, especially when they can probably get the mares they want by offering AI or natural service within Ireland. I believe that there are a number of alternative approaches that would maintain desired biosecurity but would enable mare owners to use chilled/frozen semen from stallions such as Puissance which should be looked at by DEFRA and the Irish authorities .

An alternative, of course, is to do exactly what Alec mentions that he has done : import the semen inside a mare!! There are a number of studs that are currently offering some very nice broodmares in foal to stallions such as Lux Z, Capitalist, Aldatus Z ....

When we toured a number of studs in Ireland recently we found plenty of frustration on the part of the owners that it was so tough to market their stallions in the UK, but they are professionals, and know that they have to be very observant of the regulations. If anyone <u>is</u> breaking the law, its the mare owners who may be importing the semen, not the Irish stud owners! Lets get the focus right here!

ecavalli

Visit site
I'm interested in the pic of Puissance if you find it.
I would see also pics of you foal.

[ QUOTE ]
Ecavalli,

I have a colt foal by Puissance, born this year. We bought his mare from Ireland, in foal. He is very coltish, and may very well be gelded soon. He doesn't have the prettiest head, but he has a huge walk, and moves very well, with a powerful back end. The mare has a great deal to recommend her.

I have searched for pics and videos, but without success. The lady from whom I bought the mare, sent me a pic of Puissance, and it's probably the only one ever taken!! He has a lovely eye, and looks to be a very honest sort. He has attracted a great deal of interest, over the years.

I would be interested to hear if any one has bothered to keep any of his colt foals entire.

When I can find the pic of Puissance, then I'll post it, or send it on. Would you care to see pics of my foal? It may give you some idea of the stance of the horse.

Alec.

[/ QUOTE ]

KatB

Visit site
I know someone who has bred a few foals by Glenhill Gold and is very pleased with them. All are good looking, have substance but are quality. All are out of either ISH mares or Arab mares
smile.gif

Alec Swan

Visit site
Ecavalli,

I have several pics of our colt, and later on today (I've been roped in for the dreaded Christmas shopping!!) then I'll post them.

Alec.

Eothain

Visit site
Puissance is the single most under rated stallion ever to stand in Ireland. He has produced top class horses for eventing and showjumping.
In Eventing he's had Old Road, Horseware Bushman, Marlboro Man, Hugginstown and Dromgurrihy Blue to name but a couple.
Showjumpers by him include Highpark Lad, Cullenagh Lucille, Cullenagh Lucinda, Lee Ann, Revelene who won every round of the 4 year old class in Dublin a couple of years ago, Revelation a full brother to Revelene has been placed in some of the big grand prixs at Spruce Meadows.

I ride a daughter of his, she's only scarcely 16hh, maybe 15.3hh, a full sister to Dromgurrihy Blue called Eskerhills Lexis, easily the best horse I've ever ridden. She went through the floor of our horsebox this year on the way home from a show having been 2nd in the 1.10m class, damaged her fetlock. 4 months to the day of the accident, she was back in the ring jumping double clear. She missed the 6 year old qualifiers for Dublin but will try them as a seven year old. She's actually better now than she was before she got hurt!

Most Puissance's are tough and hardy but if you can click with them, they're absolutely fantastic. My mare loves to look for a fight before she starts to work, she knows that she's not gonna get one but she looks for it anyway!

hati

community.webshots.com
There was a report in this weeks Irish Field about eventing stallions - I will copy it tomorrow and post it.
Puissance has had a number of offspring perform particularly well this year (2009) - but they can often have a 'whack of the ugly stick' but handsome is as handsome does!
I am trying to decide who to send my mare to this year - i have a colt by Ricardo z but would love a full ISH bred filly! Puissance is one on my list.

ecavalli

Visit site
I am very intererested in the report in the irish field !

[ QUOTE ]
There was a report in this weeks Irish Field about eventing stallions - I will copy it tomorrow and post it.
Puissance has had a number of offspring perform particularly well this year (2009) - but they can often have a 'whack of the ugly stick' but handsome is as handsome does!
I am trying to decide who to send my mare to this year - i have a colt by Ricardo z but would love a full ISH bred filly! Puissance is one on my list.

[/ QUOTE ]

RebeccaAnne

New User
Visit site
this is on of my youngsters by puissance..
laugh.gif

StewartPkBSJA.jpg

Image0052.jpg

cr2.jpg

FACEYBUK.jpg

I dont think he resembles the 'whack of the ugly stick' too much,
confused.gif
grin.gif
hes fab and Ive came across a selection of nice ones by puissance..sorry to raid this post
smile.gif