Isleham 90cm/ intro

nemo_

Visit site
Can anyone tell me what the 90 course at isleham includes? Or have any pictures of it? Our PC areas are there this year and a friend is going xc schooling soon and would like to know if there's anything in particular she should practice before areas! Thanks :)

LBertie Wooster

Visit site
I did the PC 90 there last year and it was testing. It included 2 ditches on of which was 2 fences from home down in a little dip, the other was mid course and not as big. they had a log in the water to jump but with an 'L'. They had a skinny coming up a ramp left handed to the skinny but that rode really nicely, several double, one on a curve. it was a lovely course but wouldn't be a nice move up to the level. So i would say ditches if her horse doesnt like them!
hope this helps

alidegg

Visit site
I'm Lolo's sister, she's camping atm so your pm would go un-answered! I'm a full time lurker on here so I'll try and help- I've done the 90/100 quite a few times but they may have jazzed it up a bit for the Areas!

The first few are quite simple but not great for nappy horses so make sure he's really in front of the leg. The first question is a double of palisades but it usually rides quite well, then the water- there's a jump in the middle and I ALWAYS hold my neck strap over it having fell off after darling pony cat lept it and I came off! :p Then the ditch complex- for the BE90 its just a random ditch but for the PC ODEs they've been putting a skinny a stride after which really catches people out. I would practise that if nothing else, especially if he's likely to baloon the ditch its flipping tricky to hold them straight to skinny when they do! There's another double whichI would steady up for as it can surprise them a bit as theres lots to look at there- maybe practise going quicker and then really getting him back and concentrating. Then theres the run back towards the boxes and a couple more skinny types which jump reasonably well IF they're not peeing off home! And the last question I think is a chair fence, dogleg to wishing well skinny- if you start thinking how clever you are before this its likely to catch you out :L Also, ride the last fence as a stupid amout of people stop there!

You can probably tell I speak from experience and I've made ALL of the mistakes listed above... :O Haha, Islehams never been my happiest hunting ground but keep kicking and I'm sure you'llbe fine! I'm doing the Int and very nervous!

Hope you have a lovely run and a great day, sorry if I've made it sound scary it really isnt too bad I've just made it sound hideous :S Sorry! Let me know how it goes! GOOD LUCK!!!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Isleham is a lovely course - I did the Open there recently on a normal Hunter trial day and the ditch to skinny thing got me! Jump in the water was fine but I hit the deck at the skinny as my lovely borrowed pony made a massive effort to jump it all. Anyway I am shocked to hear that they don't put that into the BE, maybe I am good enough to go BE afterall!

nemo_

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Will pass all on :)
alidegg - That's really helpful, thank you! Sounds like I'll be doing a lot of kicking to persuade mine that he DOES want to jump it :eek:;) Hope you have a great day with Reg too, I read all of your sisters reports and you deserve to!

sarah23

Visit site
I have been there all week doing the pony club camp (with my child). What i see of them, the 90cm course looked OK, full up in height and the bigger course did have some big questions. I will say, Isleham is not known to be an easy course.

alidegg

Visit site
Thank you! We're going for the experience really, he's still quite green at that height and as Sarah23 says its quite often a testing course! Hopefully there will be Learners at the bigger questions so I can give him a confidence giving round :)

Laafet, yes the PC courses are always much trickier than the BE there so if you got round relatively ok I'm sure BE would be fine:) If the ditch to skinny had been apart of the BE90 there would have been uproar imo as it was just so hard for them to work out; being only one stride from the ditch made it super difficult as there was no room for manouver if they jumped even slightly too big at the ditch!

Good luck to everyone going :)