Isnt there a market for safe horses any more?

charlie55

Visit site
Im selling a fab horse who you would honestly stick your granny on! But he would also hunt and sj, xc lovely too. But nothing?? Phone calls but no views (other then one complete time waster)....

monkeybum13

Visit site
Link would be great
smile.gif

starandgarfy51

Visit site
Hi there am desperately looking for a safe but fun horse.It seems that you can literally trust nobody these days.might sound cynical but was sold a dangerous horse that reared repeatedly in hand and under saddle.my confidence in buying is at an all time low!
How much do you want for him? breed, height etc and where are you.
laugh.gif

ISHmad

Visit site
I'm amazed nobody has snapped your hand off! Safe but fun horses are what everybody says they want.

gemin1eye

Visit site
I'd love to be able to find a safe, fun horse that fits my price range and other criteria but I'm finding it quite difficult - surprised you're having trouble getting views!

charlie55

Visit site
I have had so many phone calls, but they seem to be too far away. He really is a great boy, at the moment he is advertised on horse hunter and hes horsemart one is about to be re done. Also horse quest will be the next one he will be put on. I admit i have to put better photos on which i will do on horse quest.... People really dont understand how safe he is, but he will also go hunting and stay up front with the 17hh warmbloods if thats whats asked of him. What do you think of the advert??

Advert link:
http://www.horsehunter.co.uk/15hh-Con-x-ISH-p-64302.htm

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
hi, he looks sweet and hope he finds a nice home.
not to offend in any way, but if is was looking for a super safe horse i probably wouldnt look at a 5 yr old, maybe thats just me! my mum is looking for something very similar but the age would put her off.
secondly, six months ago i paid just less than 4k for a 6 yr old connie x, super safe, fun, but he also had bsja winnings, some BD points and a proven record.... so personnaly i think he is slightly over priced. sorry really dont mean to offend.xxxx

attheponies

Visit site
Lovely advert, but if you are selling a safe horse you have to show photos of him being ridden otherwise I think possible purchasers will be put off. They will wonder why, if he is so good, your only photo is of him standing in a rug by a trailer! It's the photos/videos that attract people!

charlie55

Visit site
No offence taken at all. I asked people on here for a price and they all said £4500??
Also i know alot of 5 year olds are not safe, but he really is.. so i agree the age might put people off.

On the pics, i have loads of him out jumping so i will be putting them on horse quest. We also had lots of video's of him xc but the phone they were on got lost
frown.gif

I have got one video of him going through a huge water complex, maybe il put that on??

Thanks for advice, keep it coming x

kizzywiz

Visit site
Agree with attheponies, I am having a mare vetted on Monday, my main priority was something straightforward for jumping, photo in the ad for her is one of her jumping at her first show, she's 5, sensibly with ears pricked, I looked at the photo first, then read the ad, then rang up. Doubt I would have rung up if she was just shown tied up in a rug.

gemin1eye

Visit site
I did actually see that advert (and wanted him) as I'm looking for a horse in Kent but he's way over my budget! Its a pretty good advert though, it certainly got my attention!

MagicMelon

Visit site
As you say already - the photos are probably the real issue. Photos DO sell horses in my opinion. I'd be put off by an advert which didn't have any ridden photos as I'd think they had something to hide!

I find 15hh to be a bit of an "in between" size. People tend to want a 14.2hh or then a 15.2hh, I don't know many who want 15hh so its often a missed size if that makes sense?! I also think he is a bit pricey at £4,200 considering his size and his age. He may be an extremely safe 5yo but not many beginners/novices would think to look at such a young horse. Also you say he's "lazy" in the advert which again I dont think beginners necessarily want as they can be hard work. I also always want to see what level the horse has done - you say he's done PC, SJ etc. but at what height/level and how successfully? If you mention this then you'd open up the market a bit for more competitive people.

charlie55

Visit site
M-M i agree its an odd height as many want smaller or bigger. I have also got pics of him jumping 1 ft to 4 ft so this will also show he is suitable for most. I shall have a look and put some up.

What sort of price would you say?

charlie55

Visit site
The lazy bit is probably wrong but its hard to 'word it', basically, while doing flat work, if you just sit on him and squeeze and let him doodle, you wont get no where, if you tap him with a whip and say move ya bum when you first get on, he is forward going, he just has to try you out first to see if he can be lazy or not, if you get me??

monkeybum13

Visit site
QR
A bit pricey.
But a very nice horse
smile.gif

Unfortunately the fact he's 5 might put some people off which it really shouldn't, my 4 rising 5yo is excellent in traffic, not spooky on a hack etc but some people think all 5 year olds are trouble which they really aren't.
I hope you find a really nice home
smile.gif

Oh, and just check the spelling (not that I can say much about spelling) and it might be easier to read if you split the advert into paragraphs
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I also always want to see what level the horse has done - you say he's done PC, SJ etc. but at what height/level and how successfully? If you mention this then you'd open up the market a bit for more competitive people.

[/ QUOTE ] Agree with this - I usually assume that if an ad just says 'done SJ, XC' etc, then the horse has done the activity but at a very low level or not very well! At the price you are asking, then I would be expecting the horse to be regularly jumping clear at 2'6" or above, in competition (rather than at home over jumps it knows). If this is the case then put this in your ad.

duggan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The lazy bit is probably wrong but its hard to 'word it', basically, while doing flat work, if you just sit on him and squeeze and let him doodle, you wont get no where, if you tap him with a whip and say move ya bum when you first get on, he is forward going, he just has to try you out first to see if he can be lazy or not, if you get me??

[/ QUOTE ]
Trouble being, your lad looks like a lovely novice ride, but most novice riders can't get a tune out of these types as they only do what is asked for! A lazy schoolmaster will soon become a stubborn pig in the wrong hands.
Agree with pics comments. Show him off! Price seems high for an 'average' beastie, he's the wrong size and isn't going to be a world beater so i'd be pricing him up at nearer 3k as long as he can show the relevant experience. Nice type though, would love to see a confo pic! Good luck.

ischa

Visit site
i again have to say its a little pricey .
and with age it does put alot of people of ,
i had a 14hh welsh mare who was 4 when i put her up for sale she basicly done everything and was not fased by anything you could stick a very young child to a granny on her
. i had nothing till one day i see an advert on a web site for a bombproof pony , i rang up and the rest is history she is in a lovely home . with a woman who had broken her foot and had a plate in so she couldnt ride a bigger horse . she had my pony ,i must say she had her doughts with such a young horse , both are out xc and dressge and she has nver been so please and to this day she always says she exacly what i discriped.
so age can also affect selling .

im in kent so if i know of anyone i send them your way also have you tryed tack room frolics and southeast riders for advertising

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
He is quite pricey, and small for an adult I think so may close down your market somewhat.
Also if he is teenagers size horse, parents may not want to send that much on a horse thats not too keen on flat work because mostly they will be looking for an allrounder.
He is lovely though and if he was 16.hh I think you would sell him all day to ladies like me!
You need some decent pics, as stated by others, side on too for conformation view, and I would take out any negative words like lazy.
Good luck I am sure you ll find the ideal rider soon, maybe a young rider that is short on confidence.

Quadro

Visit site
i agree with other that 15hh is that annoying in between height!! But there is nothing you can do about that!
Flatwork and jumping pics will definately help thats what attracts you to the horse in the first place
I honestly think he is overpriced i think advertise at 3.5kand be prepared to take less, sorry if that is not what uou want to hear and i do not mean to be in anyway offencive but for 4.5k you can get a horse that has BS/BD/BE winnings and a reasonable competition record!
Try what everyone has suggested and then let us know how he gets on
Good Luck
x

charlie55

Visit site
Not taken any offence at all
laugh.gif
I asked for comments
smile.gif

I also thought he was overpriced but people on here said a higher price because of safety... I think i will drop it abit. Thanks all x

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
If he is truely as described, as well as sound, then I actually don't think he is overpriced. Sane and sensible but capable can command a pretty decent price. Can only echo others though - use good pics, get him out doing a bit, tweak the wording in the ad and I'm sure you'll sell him.

ladyt25

Visit site
I would agree (a little) with the over-priced bit as I would expect a horse at that age and that price to have done something at some level which you don't specify. Be a little more descriptive about at what level etc.

Also i would remove ANY negative type parts in an ad - you are advertising a horse you don't note negatives! I know it's honesty etc etc but if he's genuinely a good horse then if someone likes him when they come to view then they like him, end of. You can tell them about any laziness etc then.

My final point would be - get him on a better, more viewed website! i would suggest Horsemart or Horsedeals. They are the two sites I look on every time as you can do a specific search and see horse details easily so you would get a lot more views in my opinion if you advertised there. Also you can out more pics on.

I would actually change where you advertise and keep the price as it is but maybe with "ono" but remove the negativity in the ad.