Isolation for new horses on yard?

TequilaMist

Visit site
What does everyone else do for new liveries arriving at yard. Really no facilities for proper isolation from other tbh. I have never been on a yard that operates an isolation policy as no facilities to do this.

Most one did was had to box for 24 hrs when first arrived.Just curious if yard actually do this nowadays.

What do others do?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It seems to vary from yard to yard. Most yards I've been on have separated grazing for the first week without confining the new horse to a stable. Others just let the horses straight out with the herd.
Personally, I'm not too worried either way. If the new horse looks healthy and alert with no obvious indications and comes from within the UK, it's fine with me to for newbie to join mine. We have huge fields and an established herd. All have routine vacs.
I'd have thought horses competing at large venues are just as likely to bring infections back home as a new horse.

rowan666

Visit site
I personally dont isolate on my yard unless horse has come from questionable place i.e beeston. I understand why some do it but would they expect liveries to isolate for a wk if they had been out on a 3day event or trail riding for a wk? Even showing or hacking your horse can come into close contact with other horses who could well be carriers of all kinds so whats the point! Thats just my view, there are a few yards round my area that do isolate new comers but i know the YO/YM will let their friends off with the rule so dont know why they bother atall!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
when I got my boy last year, I fenced off a section for him, with the idea that I would let him out after a week but with in a day, he'd limboed through the fencing and was out with the mares anyway! and they were fine together! I do like there to be a fence in the way so they can have a safe sniff first, esp as both the mares were good with their back legs and he was only young and hadn't been out with girls before!

millsandboon

Visit site
We had two new horses on the yard in the spring. We did isolate them as we had strangles and equine herpes in the area. I haven't isolated in the past.

biggingerpony

Visit site
I was once looking round a yard for my mare and the YO said that it was yard policy to keep all new horses in an isolation stable for 10 days.....

My mare hates to be stabled and she is very horse orientated so to be in by herself for 10 days would be asking for trouble!!

That and the postage stamp sized grazing put me right off!!!

Qru

Visit site
Mine will be in an isolation stable for a week when he comes over from Cyprus - this was the norm for all the yards I visited but think this was mainly due to coming in from a different country.
Even though there's been no known outbreak of wither strangles or EHV on the island, my current yard isolates for a week in an isolation paddock (can use isolation stable if preferred) with no exceptions, except if there's a show on and then the horses just go wherever there's space which kind of defeats the point if you ask me but, there you go :)

MochaDun

Visit site
Where I have recently moved to it was 2 weeks in quarantine in a separate decent size paddock with stable but within sight of other horses. He could have been in the paddock 24/7 if I'd wanted but I stabled him at night out of choice, it was nice space as he could wander into the stable during the day for shade etc if he so wanted. Some might say 2 weeks excessive and it does take them a few days to settle but it works for me having been somewhere where horses arrived and were turned out straightaway with a herd of 10 others with no questions asked...whether in terms of behaviour with other horses, existing conditions, things they might be carrying...

Shooting Star

Visit site
The place that I'm at now is the only one where I've had my horse isolated - fair enough though, especially as in my case the horse was also new to me, brought from a dealer and had only had it's first vaccination done (at the vetting). Think we kept him in for about 5 days although he was worked and led out in hand for a nibble of grass.