Issues cantering up hill...?

Sarah1

Visit site
Hi all

I just have a very quick question that I can't seem to get my head around and wondered if someone could shed a bit of light on it please...?

My boy is fine to canter out hacking, he'll sometimes have a bit of a buck if he's feeling good but nothing horrendous, however, there's a particular hill we use and when I ask for canter going up hill he'll get stuffy & start humping - not really proper bucks as I assume that would be fairly hard for him but he feels 'blocked' if that makes sense?

I had assumed he found it hard going up hill and that's why we had the messing but surely it's harder to buck & faff than just go forwards?

I'm careful not to hold onto him too much but he still dithers about going into canter & powering up the hill.

I'll admit that he's due for the saddle fitter & physio but this has been an ongoing issue & even when his tack & back have been perfect he's still done this so I don't believe it will be having a huge bearing on this matter at this time.

Any ideas why he does this? Any suggestions how to push him through?

I will add that I always try to get my weight off his back when cantering up there to make it easier for him and other than this issue he feels fine.

Katie_lew

Visit site
Hello, im not expert but ill try and answer anyway.
1 question: do you always canter up the hill. i know that when i take my horse to the field we always canter in she can act really stupid and do something similar just because she is excited to be cantering so i make sure that now i alternate the hill with trotting and walking to the top so she doesn't just expect to canter, therefor when i ask to canter, she does so nicley.

if you always do the same thing in the same place they just expect it and get all silly.

not sure if this will help but good luck

Sarah1

Visit site
Hi Katie-lew! Thanks for your reply. No, I don't always do the same thing and rather than him feeling silly it's more of a 'blocked' type feeling, like he's having a bit of a paddy about it if that makes sense?

Katie_lew

Visit site
Hmmm that interesting in that case I would have back checked oR saddle checked :) good luck getting to the bottom of it, or in this case the top of the hill :D

Darremi

Visit site
If this is the only time he does it then I would say it is behavioural. He might be napping, have you tried taking him up it upside another horse/behind another horse?

dominobrown

Visit site
(as long as he doesn't kick), can you stand behind him and put both hands on his point of hip and then check that your hands are level, or are his points of hip different heights?
If he is not being naughty maybe it is his pelvis? How does he work on the flat and over jumps? Does he work from behind.
Also if you canter on the lunge does he canter better on one rein more than the other? (i.e struggle to bring his hind leg underneath one way?).

Sorry about all the questions, but I knew one racehorse that couldn't do hill work, and that was related to its pelvis.

Sarah1

Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone.
Katie - I think his back & saddle are ready to be checked but he does this after he's been given the all clear too which is very frustrating! I must get him booked in.
Darremi - he does it whether on his own or with others, first or last :(
Domino - he could very well have tweaked something so I will get the physio etc booked but he does this even after any issues have been rectified, I think he just finds it really hard...or is being a toad...!

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Hello,
My loan cob seems sort of 'stuffy' whenever you're taking him up hills away from home- he doesn't buck exactly but seems very like what you describe? I really can't describe it myself! On the way home it's a different story, his canter is lovely and smooth, so I think it may be him napping?

soulfull

Visit site
I would try trotting him up. See if you get any reaction. If not then i would suspect he just finds I very hard work. My lad can do something that feels like a buck but really it's him getting his back legs sorted out.
Your lad Maybe trying to switch leads behind as its harder on one lead

Sarah1

Visit site
I would try trotting him up. See if you get any reaction. If not then i would suspect he just finds I very hard work. My lad can do something that feels like a buck but really it's him getting his back legs sorted out.
Your lad Maybe trying to switch leads behind as its harder on one lead

Hi! Trotting isn't a problem at all it's just when I ask him to go up a gear! :confused:

Sarah1

Visit site
I'd get his hocks and pasterns checked aswell if it were me... Does he canter on the forehand when you're not going up-hill?

I'm going to get the physio booked - he's about due for a visit anyway - and I'll ask her to give him a thorough 'going over'! And yes he is on the forehand most of the time actually but he is built that way & I really struggle to lift him as I resemble a pea on a drum!

Thanks everyone for your help & suggestions :)

Last edited:

Sarah1

Visit site
Hello,
My loan cob seems sort of 'stuffy' whenever you're taking him up hills away from home- he doesn't buck exactly but seems very like what you describe? I really can't describe it myself! On the way home it's a different story, his canter is lovely and smooth, so I think it may be him napping?

Hi! You might be right, it does feel a bit like him sticking 2 fingers up at me but he also does it in company & is always happy to be out with pals :confused: very frustrating!

SparkleB

Visit site
Does it feel like hes just trying to get himself into gear and push himself up the hill, kind of like his back legs are hopping together? Cantering on the flat can feel and be very flat and so when going up a hill it can feel very different. Is he very fit and muscled? If its a steep hill then bare in mind that he has to get himself, tack and you up it with some power-can feel like hes being blocked.

Just re-read your post....maybe its just that the canter is much harder work and so youre getting the faff.....but then you would think the trot would be harder work...

Last edited:

Sarah1

Visit site
Does it feel like hes just trying to get himself into gear and push himself up the hill, kind of like his back legs are hopping together? Cantering on the flat can feel and be very flat and so when going up a hill it can feel very different. Is he very fit and muscled? If its a steep hill then bare in mind that he has to get himself, tack and you up it with some power-can feel like hes being blocked.

Just re-read your post....maybe its just that the canter is much harder work and so youre getting the faff.....but then you would think the trot would be harder work...

It's hard to explain - he'll put his head almost between his knees, if I don't get his head up & kick him on, but because it's up hill (reasonably steep but not long if that makes sense?) he doesn't actually buck more like round his back as if he was going to but then it feels like he's flicking his back legs up a bit rather than a good old 'yee-haaa' buck. The front end then feels blocked - I'll put my leg on & give him a squeeze but he kind of blows out against my leg? I might not be making much sense, so sorry about that!

SparkleB

Visit site
Does just sound like hes gearing himself to canter up the hill. If you watch a horse when its being worked fully rounded it almost looks like its about to buck.
Silly question..do you get right out his back when cantering up the hill?

Sarah1

Visit site
Does just sound like hes gearing himself to canter up the hill. If you watch a horse when its being worked fully rounded it almost looks like its about to buck.
Silly question..do you get right out his back when cantering up the hill?

Yes I do, well as much as I can when he's being a pillock! There seems to be very little in the way of forward movement if that makes sense & it's all 'upwards' rather than forwards...?

SparkleB

Visit site
Im all out of ideas then, all i would say is that its him getting into push position. Do you hack with other people, do they see what hes doing?

Sarah1

Visit site
Im all out of ideas then, all i would say is that its him getting into push position. Do you hack with other people, do they see what hes doing?

Could well be, maybe I should try not using so much leg? I do think he might break back into trot thoguh but it's worth a try I guess...? The others think it looks a bit like bobbling? I've been told he looks like he is trying to buck but it looks like I'm trying to push him forwards at the same time...

FubsyMog

Visit site
I am far from an expert so this might be a numpty point, but do you know what he is like cantering uphill with no tack or rider? Obviously access to a suitable hill to assess this might make it hard to know, but if he struggles even when he is loose, napping could be ruled out and it might point you in the right direction for further physical investigations.

Sarah1

Visit site
I am far from an expert so this might be a numpty point, but do you know what he is like cantering uphill with no tack or rider? Obviously access to a suitable hill to assess this might make it hard to know, but if he struggles even when he is loose, napping could be ruled out and it might point you in the right direction for further physical investigations.

I know what you're saying and I would be very interested to find out actually but it wouldn't be possible to try it unfortunately :(