It is so difficult .....

Boxers

Visit site
As many of you know, we had to have our lovely boy, Jay, pts 2 weeks ago. As daughter is hoping to go to university in 2014 we have decided not to buy another horse, but to get one on loan.

Well, they are like hen's teeth!

They are either older and looking for hacking only homes, or are unrideable and for companion homes.

If they are good all round horses, then the owner doesn't want them to move from their current yard (they are reducing their possible market by about 99% to people living within say 15-20 miles)! I think these owners really are looking for sharers, not loaners as such.

We just want a lovely all rounder horse that can come and live with us.

I feel so bad for my daughter losing her young horse. She spent two years carefully schooling him, turning him away both winters so he could grow, and all for nothing in the end. I just want her to be able to have some fun now.

It's such a shame for her.

canteron

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your horse, how devastating.

You have identified the conundrum with loan horses, they are good horses because they have good owners who want to keep control of their future.

If you want a good loan horse you have to network pretty hard, sell yourself to the PC or local riding club, vet, farrier or local instructors Ask them if they will give you a reference for taking care of the hose and also think what you can offer the horse - some competition experience, hunting experience, it may just marry up with what someone would like for their horse.

Good luck.

Silmarillion

Visit site
Where on earth are you finding the hacking ones? I want one of those but everything I see needs more than I can give it or sounds off its rocker!

Until I started looking for a loan (still casually, not sold mine yet) I never realised how few there were out there. Maybe a wanted ad would help?

Sorry to hear about yours :(

shmoo

Visit site
When I loaned my TB out I was looking for another more sedate beasty to replace her. I put ad's up in the closest tack and feed shops to me - so the move yard didn't become an issue as we'd all be within a few miles (?) and have had 3 offers all after the 5-6 week mark. All irrelevant as my TB came back ... but thats another story. Try that and as OP said word of mouth. Be patient, it will probably take 6-8 weeks for the word to get out.

Also agree, every loan ad out there states no moving yard !!! Crazy in some ways as who wants to have to drive miles... but totally understandable from owners point of view as they came make sure horsey will be looked after.

PS. Really sorry about Jay, made me cry your posts about him..:(

Clare85

Visit site
Yes, loaning a good horse is very difficult. Best to get the word around local PC or RC. Also, I always see horses advertised for loan in my local tack shops/saddleries.

Not sure if it'd be an option but it could be worth flipping the situation on its head and thinking about buying a new horse that you could then loan out when your daughter goes off to university.

Really feel for you with the loss of your youngster, so very sad :(

Ahrena

Visit site
Just to give you hope - they ARE out there. I had Squirrel on loan before I eventually bought him. He had done newcomer D/Cs and BE90s, and is an absolute saint in every respect.

The owner was a novice and nervous of him as he can be a bit quick jumping (nothing tragic though) and he was damaged goods so to speak - 1 eye and at 13 just slightly older than most people generally want so perhaps that's why he was for loan.

When I was looking for him I actually found quite a few out there suitable for competing ECT so they do exist :)

HBrae2

Visit site
Can't she take a horse to Uni? I had my pony at Uni (away from home) and it was perfectly possible.
You haven't been looking all that long, I would agree riding club and pony club is a good place to start - a lot of loan horses are found new homes by word of mouth rather than advertising. I would allow mine to move yards but only within a 10 mile radius so I could be there to support them (and to reassure myself the horse was happy and well cared for). I can totally understand responsible loaners not wanting their horse to move yards, especially if it's short term (a year). Horses can get unsettled with new people in a new home and then he would be coming back after a year?

puss

Visit site
Its hard I have loaners for mine due to work sadley there no trust anymore horses get abused sold or they forget to feed them you have even seen the proof on here that's why mine would never leave my sight. Not saying you would do any of those thing but its really hard for an owner who cares what happens to their horses

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
If she's good enough for an ex racer, hero's charity will prob loan one, and they are lovely and make sure you're okay and happy and getting along well. Can't recommend enough!

Boxers

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Really useful tips there.

We had a loan horse for 3 yrs and his owner, I am sure, would give a reference, as would our hunt master and PC instructor.

We have put the word out locally, so keeping fingers crossed.

There is one we have seen but was lame from a kick so waiting to see if he comes right.

And by the way, we're on the Lincs/Notts border.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Just keep looking.
Put wanted advertd up.
Word of mouth is good.

*Just a warning.
I recently got an infraction for posting a similar thread.
(Thinking of loaning out my horse)
Some pathetic person moaned. :'(

Kenzo

Visit site
Have you tried some racing yards, plenty of ex racers and unraced TB,s out there.

Not sure where are located but Phillip Kirby Racing have a few up for loan and they sound pretty decent for general all rounders.

A good racing yard will always be honest about their horses, many of them they do care about their horses and will make sure you are suited to the horse.

You can't beat a good TB!

Lolo

Visit site
I'd potentially look at ex-racers. Privately owned ones are often very much loved and the owner doesn't want to sell them on... Reg is on loan to us, and he's pretty awesome.