it just keeps getting worse :(

serena2005

Visit site
So for those who remeber my mare that suddenly went lame, is turned out to be traumatic laminitis. After 5 weeks on box rest she finally was turned out :)

On tender hooks hopeing she wouldn't go mad she wandered off rolled and started grazing :)
The 2nd day out she was chased and bullied by another horse. Luckily someone was there to bring her in.

I went to assess the damage, dreading she would be lame again! But that was the least of my worries, she had been kicked just under her hock which was very deep.

Vet called and sorted out, fingers firmly crossed there's no tendon or bone damage.
I phoned to give an update today as the wound appears infected and he sounds concerned about her not weight bearing on it after 3 days still

:( I'm so down about it, she was so happy to get out

Sorry for the moan

Llee94

Visit site
Stay positive!
I have had a terrible few months with mine as it just seems to be one problem after another but things are slowly getting better.
My youngster managed to stab himself very deeply in the hock last August and after a few vet visits and one joint flush he recovered really well and was back to his normal cheeky self in a few weeks.
Will keep everything crossed for you and I hope that your girl gets better soon.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What a nightmare- is yours the horse that went badly lame suddenly behind a few weeks ago? I'd wonderd how she was. So sorry to hear this. Fingers x'd for you x

TheMule

Visit site
I'd be very concerned about a potential infection in the joint- is the vet coming out to see it?

PorkChop

Visit site
Oh no, bloomin horses - we have been there, its just awful, sometimes its just one thing after another.

You are doing everything you can, a huge plus is that your mare seems a sensible sort which is half the battle sometimes. My advice is go with your gut feeling, hope she makes a miraculous recovery xx

asmp

Visit site
Sorry to to add to your woes but when my horse was kicked on the hock I ignored it until he became lame on it a couple of days later. Called the vet out and I told he had to go straight to horsepital. He spent 5 days in there, cost a small fortune although all he needed doing in the end was to have the joint flushed out. Good news is once healed (box rest) he was fine.

Feel for you though as that was a bad year for me too (first year of ownership) when he was back and forwards to the vets for various reasons. Fingers crossed for you.

twiggy2

Visit site
has the vet been back out?
my daughters horse had an ifected fetlock joint at one point, I called the vet as I was briging her in from the field and he was there and flushing the joint on the yard with 30 mins, when he arrived she was flat out in the stable grutint ad groaning and we could not get her up his words were 'it is not looking very good' when he tapped the joint what came out looked like clotted cream in texture and colour, he said the same thing, she was too lame to travel so as I said he flushed it in the stable and wanted her in the next day fully expecting to have to knock her out to have a really good flush of the wound. On day one she was 10/10 lame on day 2 he could not believe the improvement 2/10 lame, he flushed again with her stading and twitched, 10 days of 2 lots of intromuscular antiiotics and 1 lot of oral antibiotics and she never looked back.
Good luck with your mare.

serena2005

Visit site
Vet will be out on Monday to see her. Or before hand if she takes a turn for the worse of course.
I am in daily communication with him and she is having a close eye kept on her.
The madam isn't eating the antibiotics :( she's so fussy she will just starve herself for days, so I'm doing everything I can to encourage her to eat it, she also gets colic quite easily so feeding anything too uncommon is out of the question.

The clotted cream comment, that's what it looked like yesterday when I cleaned it up :(

Orca

Visit site
Vet will be out on Monday to see her. Or before hand if she takes a turn for the worse of course.
The madam isn't eating the antibiotics :( she's so fussy she will just starve herself for days, so I'm doing everything I can to encourage her to eat it, she also gets colic quite easily so feeding anything too uncommon is out of the question.

The clotted cream comment, that's what it looked like yesterday when I cleaned it up :(

If she isn't taking her antibiotics, then the vet might be able to give her IM antib's. It's important that she has them one way or another asap. Best of luck for a swift recovery ��

twiggy2

Visit site

If my daughters mare had been left a few more hours the likelyhood is that we would have lost her, I would want a vet out today asap as an infection in the joint can progress so fast

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am sorry this has happened but by your discription of how the leg is and her wanting to rest it I would want a vet to assure me the joint is not infected, so I would not be leaving it until Monday to be honest if she went eat the antibiotics most don't buy a large syringe and some powdered custard and make a paste with some water and syringe it in her mouth it's important she gets them to rely on her maybe eating them is not good enough.

TheMule

Visit site
A friend lost her mare in the same way a couple of weeks ago- mare was bright in herself but non weight bearing.
Don't take a chance on this, get vet out today

serena2005

Visit site
So the vet is coming tomorrow as they couldn't get there tonight and I didn't want a 3rd vet getting involved.

Horse is now eating the antibiotics and wound has been cleaned an re-dressed, vet mentioned possible x-raying.

Feeling gutted at the moment, totally expecting the worse :'(

Doublethyme

Visit site
Glad you have vet coming. My then 18 month old came in from field with a tiny puncture would from a flint, even vet who came straight out wasn't over concerned till my sister mentioned seeing fluid leaking.

She wasn't even that lame but was whisked straight in next day and after fluid testing was in surgery under a general that day for a tendon flush which saved her life/long term soundness. Luckily successful but I'd be concerned your vets are not acting fast enough on this, sorry to be negative. A horse not fully weight bearing on an infected hock rings alarm bells for me 😕

Hope I'm wrong and all turns out ok though.

serena2005

Visit site
Glad you have vet coming. My then 18 month old came in from field with a tiny puncture would from a flint, even vet who came straight out wasn't over concerned till my sister mentioned seeing fluid leaking.

She wasn't even that lame but was whisked straight in next day and after fluid testing was in surgery under a general that day for a tendon flush which saved her life/long term soundness. Luckily successful but I'd be concerned your vets are not acting fast enough on this, sorry to be negative. A horse not fully weight bearing on an infected hock rings alarm bells for me 😕

Hope I'm wrong and all turns out ok though.

Thanks, I know what you mean, I would have preferred her to be seen tonight but I also really want my vet to see her.

It is only my assumption its possibly infected. It actually looked better today when I cleaned it. Yesterday it looked awful!

serena2005

Visit site
What's the best case scenario I can hope for?
I've loaned a horse that had a hairline fracture to the hock and it wasn't as lame as my horse.

crabbymare

Visit site
What's the best case scenario I can hope for?
I've loaned a horse that had a hairline fracture to the hock and it wasn't as lame as my horse.
the problem is that there are a lot of possibilities from her having broken something or having a joint infection at the worst end through to there being the wound and a bruise that she may be finding incredibly painful and by not moving is getting more stiffness and pain through the leg muscles. the only person who can tell you is the vet but as she is now eating the antibiotics and the wound is looking better she could start to show an improvement by the time the vet gets there. although its very hard for you do try not to worry too much and see what the vet says when they get there

serena2005

Visit site
Thank you, I am definitely trying not to worry, I'd be very happy if she does show an improvement before the vet gets there tomorrow, :( I just hope she's going to be ok