It Seemed Like a good idea....

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
for some friends and I to hack out today...Met Office forecast 8 degrees maybe light shower later...so having persuaded one of my friends out of bed (via text you understand) and given a dose of motivation to the other we all were on board and off by half ten.
We set off and the wind picked up as we walked from the yard..buts that's OK its good anti spook training says very experienced friend....at top of lane is a tractor thrashing the hedges to death but he s on his phone and tractor is not moving so ponies pass with no problem. On our short stretch of road ..no traffic..yippee and we trot to the turn off to the hacking. We had a little trot on the lane and all went well until we turned a corner and the wind had picked up so much the telephone wires were singing...black plastic was flapping from haylage bales..and the most torrential waves of sleety hail and rain descended. Ponies swung bums to wind and we had no shelter so made our way back to the yard..jogging and going sideyways...lovely. We had to pass the tractor again and nice driver stopped moving but kept the thrasher bit turning and up high..my poor mare couldn't contain herself and dashed past upsetting her companions and we all had a brief spell of rodeo work before settling to walk the final quarter mile.
We got off completely soaked through ..jodhs, leggings knickers..I lie.. my feet were warm and dry and all the parts the body protector covered but Ive had to complete the yard jobs and call into the shops feeling distinctly uncomfortable. Oh is it possible to electrocute oneself on your heated car seat?

Not the best hack out ever..better luck tomorrow.

Firefly9410

Visit site
There is nothing worse than getting soaked to the undies is there! I only ride out in dry weather these days. I cannot stand all the soaked tack and equipment to deal with either.

PollyP99

Visit site
Bless you sounds awful! I did a similar thing and dragged a couple with me off my yard but we were out by 7.30 as weather was forecast to be dismal, as I sat at home at 9 I felt quite smug as the hooleys blew in... But trust me I've been in your place often and it's not nice!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Having got soaked whilst jumping a pony in a saddle-fitting for my employer I have decided that my girl can have the day off today, I'm not usually a fair-weather rider (hunted in torrential downpours on monday) but....anyhow she has been working hard these last few days and we have a lesson tomorrow, plus she is out in teh field today.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It was horrible here today yet this morning it was lovely and sunny, but I did notice we had a pink sky this morning = devils warning! And was certainly that I decided not to ride today couldnt face it.

Mrs G

Visit site
I too was planning a hack this morning but changed my mind because it was grey and drizzling with rain- so agreed with a friend we'd go out together at 3pm if weather ok. Well it rained all day, and I was not looking forward to going back out, but would you believe it - the sun came out just in time, literally for the hour we were out it was lovely! Didn't feel quite so lucky as it started raining again while I was on my way home, on my bicycle...

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I guess we all travel hopefully at some times don't we...am umming and ahhing about this morning...might lunge instead and hack tomorrow..met office has a row of sunshines for my part of the world! Hope the weather is kind where you are!