itchy cat

jellybean55

Visit site
Hello

Noticed my little puss has been doing lots of scratching but only seems to be round her neck and chin, we have only had her a couple of months and she had been treated for fleas and mites when we picked her up and I treated her again at the weekend but she's still scratching. She had a small spot of black scabs under her chin, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

suestowford

Visit site
She may be allergic to flea bites, the itching from that can continue long after the fleas have been dealt with. This happened with one of my cats and she was put on a course of steroid pills, which broke the itch/scratch/itch cycle.

Scoutie

Visit site
Apparently this is very common! My cat started doing scratching his neck, then over grooming which progressed to him pulling his hair out. I agree a visit to the vet is required if it doesn't settle. De-fleaing was the first step (even though he is in indoors cat), then he was treated for stress before moving on to diet. He is now on a very expensive cat food but it does seem to be working and another visit to the vets is required to see where we go next. If this hadn't worked then it would have been skin biopsies to look for a cause and if this didn't work long-term use of an anti-itch drug.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Check for harvest mites. One of mine is susceptible to any sort of mites, and this year harvest mites have set her off. She has had them in her ears(they are different to ear mites), and round her face. Took her to the vet, and we now have a liquid form of something I can't recall name of, to put on affected areas, with a cotton bud.