Itchy dog. Ideas please

GSD Woman

Visit site
Found the article. It is from 2019. Because I'm feeling bitchy and avoiding starting my CE I'm going to nit pick.

{However, a couple of years ago, a handful of US vets claimed to have seen an increase in cases of DCM and it is these reports that provided the spark for the entire DCM crisis that we find ourselves in today.}

What percentage is a "handful?" Did this "handful" refer these patients to a veterinary cardiologist? Did the board certified veterinary cardiologist confirm the diagnosis via echocardiogram?

{ It's worth noting here that the term 'BEG' essentially encompasses all brands that aren't The Big Three or their subsidiaries: 'Boutique' meaning smaller or newer companies; 'exotic' meaning any ingredient that isn't run-of-the-mill; and Grain-Free being the category of choice for most competitor brands }

Maybe this is true in the UK. I don't know. In the USA most of the "Big 3" have some foods with exotic ingredients. Rabbit, kangaroo for a while, bison, pheasant, and ostrich that I know of. Purina has grain free as does Nutro, Taste of the Wild, and Iams. Many of the lesser known brands are actually manufactured by a larger firm. I can no longer remember the relationships.

• {4 out of 8 of the dogs had taurine deficiency, the other 4 did not.}
4 out of 8 is 50%. This is a small number but it is significant in a small sample size.

{Vets too would likely not have been immune, being more watchful for and more likely to report cases of DCM in dogs on grain-free and/or boutique diets than those that were not. }

N of one here. My own dog was in for a check up. My vet was and is a friend and we talked training, repro (her boarded specialty), and who knows what else before she actually listened. She picked up a grade 2 heart murmur. We discussed it and the fact that he had never had a murmur before. I believe he was 7 at the time.

I was referred to the cardiologist. The finding was not DCM fortunately, but my dog was feed a good quality grain free dry kibble. I supplement with raw beef marrow bones and raw turkey necks as well as commercial biscuits, training treats and table scraps. 18 months later after a change of diet the murmur was down to a very soft grade 1 and there was no progression of the mitral valve defect. The dog has been recleared for breeding purposes.

{The investigation is still ongoing but it is clear that it has a long way to go before any connections can be remotely confirmed. }

Here is my original statement on the subject thread.

One thing to add. Grain free is thought to be a possible cause of DCM.

OK, now that I've spent waaaay too much time doing this I'll list my credentials so you'll know I'm not totally full of poop. Associate in Applied Sciences, Veterinary Technology, graduated Suma Cum Lauda, Blue Ridge Veterinary College, Weyers Cave, Va. class of 1994. Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician, Laboratory Animal Technician, BFA Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA. Licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Health Professions to Practice as a Veterinary Technician, former proofreader for K. Nicholson, DVM, Ph.D.

skinnydipper

Visit site
The link between grain free kibble and DCM has been debunked in a credible article on allaboutdogfood. The author is an independent expert on dog food, so I believe he knows his stuff. When you know the facts, it rather puts it into perspective. It's amazing what the multinationals will pay someone to come up with when their profits are threatened by superior products! ?

Far from being debunked, cases are still reported and diet related factors continue to be investigated. Most of the diets associated with non hereditary DCM have a higher proportion of legumes, pulses and roots.

The number of cases being reported this year is down but that is believed to be due to lack of reporting due to coronavirus.

GSD Woman was right when she said:

Yes, it is the grain free necessarily but the belief is that most other fillers can manage to block the absorption of taurine. A small study showed that the DCM dogs had low blood levels of taurine.

Researchers are still investigating the reason for this:

From 29 September 2020.

https://www.ksvdl.org/resources/documents/dcm-forum/Aldrich_n_Pezzali_DCM_FDA_ABSTRACT_9Sep2020.pdf

Last edited:

Odyssey

Visit site
Far from being debunked, cases are still reported and diet related factors continue to be investigated. Most of the diets associated with non hereditary DCM have a higher proportion of legumes, pulses and roots.

The number of cases being reported this year is down but that is believed to be due to lack of reporting due to coronavirus.

GSD Woman was right when she said:

Researchers are still investigating the reason for this:

From 29 September 2020.

https://www.ksvdl.org/resources/documents/dcm-forum/Aldrich_n_Pezzali_DCM_FDA_ABSTRACT_9Sep2020.pdf
There's obviously a lot more to this than I realised as I haven't researched it in depth as you have, so I retract what I said. It's often difficult to come to the right conclusion without expert knowledge, which I freely admit to not having. I feed my dog a mixture of grain free, and kibble containing grain, and regularly switch brands/flavours. Hopefully that helps mitigates the risk of one brand/ingredient causing problems, including intolerances. In an ideal world I'd try raw feeding, but I have a large dog and can't afford it/don't have the freezer space, unfortunately.

Odyssey

Visit site
Found the article. It is from 2019. Because I'm feeling bitchy and avoiding starting my CE I'm going to nit pick.

{However, a couple of years ago, a handful of US vets claimed to have seen an increase in cases of DCM and it is these reports that provided the spark for the entire DCM crisis that we find ourselves in today.}

What percentage is a "handful?" Did this "handful" refer these patients to a veterinary cardiologist? Did the board certified veterinary cardiologist confirm the diagnosis via echocardiogram?

{ It's worth noting here that the term 'BEG' essentially encompasses all brands that aren't The Big Three or their subsidiaries: 'Boutique' meaning smaller or newer companies; 'exotic' meaning any ingredient that isn't run-of-the-mill; and Grain-Free being the category of choice for most competitor brands }

Maybe this is true in the UK. I don't know. In the USA most of the "Big 3" have some foods with exotic ingredients. Rabbit, kangaroo for a while, bison, pheasant, and ostrich that I know of. Purina has grain free as does Nutro, Taste of the Wild, and Iams. Many of the lesser known brands are actually manufactured by a larger firm. I can no longer remember the relationships.

• {4 out of 8 of the dogs had taurine deficiency, the other 4 did not.}
4 out of 8 is 50%. This is a small number but it is significant in a small sample size.

{Vets too would likely not have been immune, being more watchful for and more likely to report cases of DCM in dogs on grain-free and/or boutique diets than those that were not. }

N of one here. My own dog was in for a check up. My vet was and is a friend and we talked training, repro (her boarded specialty), and who knows what else before she actually listened. She picked up a grade 2 heart murmur. We discussed it and the fact that he had never had a murmur before. I believe he was 7 at the time.

I was referred to the cardiologist. The finding was not DCM fortunately, but my dog was feed a good quality grain free dry kibble. I supplement with raw beef marrow bones and raw turkey necks as well as commercial biscuits, training treats and table scraps. 18 months later after a change of diet the murmur was down to a very soft grade 1 and there was no progression of the mitral valve defect. The dog has been recleared for breeding purposes.

{The investigation is still ongoing but it is clear that it has a long way to go before any connections can be remotely confirmed. }

Here is my original statement on the subject thread.

One thing to add. Grain free is thought to be a possible cause of DCM.

OK, now that I've spent waaaay too much time doing this I'll list my credentials so you'll know I'm not totally full of poop. Associate in Applied Sciences, Veterinary Technology, graduated Suma Cum Lauda, Blue Ridge Veterinary College, Weyers Cave, Va. class of 1994. Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician, Laboratory Animal Technician, BFA Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA. Licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Health Professions to Practice as a Veterinary Technician, former proofreader for K. Nicholson, DVM, Ph.D.

As in my post above, I retract my opinion. I appreciate that your credentials give you a much greater understanding of the topic than I have, as an interested dog owner. I guessed that my post would probably come back to bite me on the posterior, I should know better than to post on here, where there are many people a lot more clever than I! ?