Itchy Fany

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fany has started being really itchy and is rubbing the fur off. She is moulting and getting rid of her extra thick coat. She has rubbed herself raw. She has been groomed and had a Dectomax injection to help with the itching, my lovely YO has done that, I am really poorly at present so not really seeing the horses at present, unfortunately.Luckily I have them on full livery and with an amazing YO who will always look after them the way I would.

Anyone got any ideas about what to bath her rubs with to sooth the annoyance. She has had Aloe Vera, anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks,
FDC

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Firstly - I think your post title is going to get lots of viewings!! lol!!

Secondly - sorry your not feeling too good at the moment. Get well soon :D

Thirdly - my vets gave me a shampoo called Malaseb for my itchy dog. Not sure if you can use it on horses but you could ask the vet?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry, I haven't any help for you but just wanted to sympathise on 2 counts.
1) My Westphalian who was clipped out by her previous owners is very itchy, her coat is growing back and she is rubbing on the stable door-frame. Dad is going to support it with a metal rod asap.
2) I have 'flu

Hope you and Fany feel better soon.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
My cob was exactly the same - rubbed herself raw and broke the skin in places:( I clipped her and hot clothed her with Lavender Wash for 3 three days, putting soothing Wonder Gel on all the itchy/sore bits and also gave her a dousing in Louse Powder for good measure - didn't see any lice but she has a really thick mane where they could have been hiding. The combination has done the trick - her winter coat this year was thicker then ever and she was starting to moult so I also left her unrugged in her stable overnight even when clipped and now she is out 24/7 amd just has a no fill rain sheet on and is so much happier.:)

OhCappaGino

Visit site
Good Job you never put (Pics Included) Your views would of gone off the roof!! lol!!

You cheered up my day!! :)

Sorry to hear about your pony tho, andi hope you feel better soon!!!

cptrayes

Visit site
What's going inside? Top Spec? Carrots? I know of several horses who can take neither without itching and/or hives.

StarFell

Visit site
Best title I've seen on H&H so far :D

Poor Fany, my Star gets really itchy too when he has a thick winter coat, hopefully it won't be too long before they start losing it. Hope you both feel better soon x

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
What's going inside? Top Spec? Carrots? I know of several horses who can take neither without itching and/or hives.

Thanks for the reply.
Fany gets nothing but her vit/min lick and haylage mixed with straw, poor mare is permanently on a diet. She has had this diet all winter so I don't think it is that. Probably just the consequence of having a mega thick coat this winter, think 14-2hh shaggy Shetland, and you'll get the picture.

FDC

Beatrice5

Visit site
Loved the title :D

Another vote for Malaseb used it on dogs and Nags fab stuff but expensive I think - one bottle that i bought 8 years ago still going strong :D

Also omega oils good for itchyness and garlic good for settling inflamation and would stop any infection setting in where she is raw.

I crush a few cloves of garlic into half a cup of olive oil and leave to soak overnight then get some on your hand and gently put on raw bits. I used it on my mastitus when feeding and for my dogs and beasties when cuts or sore. It is amazing only downside was my boobs stank of garlic but it did keep the vampire away :D LOL

laa666

Visit site
Fany has started being really itchy and is rubbing the fur off. She is moulting and getting rid of her extra thick coat. She has rubbed herself raw. She has been groomed and had a Dectomax injection to help with the itching, my lovely YO has done that, I am really poorly at present so not really seeing the horses at present, unfortunately.Luckily I have them on full livery and with an amazing YO who will always look after them the way I would.

Anyone got any ideas about what to bath her rubs with to sooth the annoyance. She has had Aloe Vera, anything else anyone can think of

I have similar problem with horse, same time every year. He gets injection from vet its the only thing that seems to work. Tried every thing on the market, but global herbs do a itch thing you put in there feed, also seems to help. Hope you are a
lot better soon.